lftc

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  0

Drug Addiction is very common in the modern world.  All around the world.  Some have the approval of their respective government (prescription) and some do not.

I was walking again a few days ago.  I went to a market.  I bought a food item I don't usually buy, as a treat because I deserve it.  Actually I don't but it helps to think such things when making a decision to spend more.

Walking away from the market, I was approached by a man, probably in his mid thirties. In this part of the world, one is always being approached, especially if you at all acknowldge that other people exist.  You know, by doing something like making eye contact.

He asked for money, saying he was hungry.  He was rather thin.

I do carry some coins just for such things.  But I've been around the block more than once.

I avoid his question and ask him a few friendly questions.  I observe for a moment, then ask him why he is doing drugs.  To someone who has been around the block, you can see the little signs.

He says he doesn't do drugs, but could I give him some money please.

I tell him that drugs are devils that will not let go.  His eyes go down.

I pull out my special treat and give it to him.  He glances at it distractedly and asks for money again.  Confirming that he is not hungry.  Confirming that he desparately needs money because the last dose is wearing off and he feels the sheer torment of being alive and especially being alive under the after affects of any reality altering drug. 

My heart breaks for him.

But I can't ease his pain by giving him more money to refresh his dose. 

I ask if I can pray for him.  He says yes (everyone on the street agrees to be prayed for - where else is hope? (rhetorical question, I wonder if you have the same answer as me)).

I put my hand on his shoulder.  Actually, I had put it there a while ago because it communicates to people that you care and are not afraid to be with them.

I just pray that Jesus would touch him and help him.

He thanks me.  And asks me for money again.  I laugh and say no, again.

We go separate ways.

A short distance later I am almost run down by a couple of trucks racing with sirens on and rifles at the ready.  Probably on their way to catch some drug users - that is the most common activity for them.

Fortunately, they were going the other way from my new friend.  I hope he eats my treat and gains enough nutrition to live for a while more.  I hope Jesus delivers him.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2
  • Praying! 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.54

My daughter is in middle school and last year they did a two week study on  the negative effects of drug addiction. We live in a suburb with lots of opioid overdoses and the schools and the police  are overwhelmed. 

My daughter said her classmates were saying the teachers and parents were lying about the dangers. Some students said they have heard about certain drugs being “awesome” and can’t wait to try them.

I wonder what it’s going to take to convince people not to “experiment” with this stuff. 

Hard being a parent these days.

Edited by ReneeIW
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, ReneeIW said:

My daughter is in middle school and last year they did a two week study on  the negative effects of drug addiction. We live in a suburb with lots of opioid overdoses and the schools and the police  are overwhelmed. 

My daughter said her classmates were saying the teachers and parents were lying about the dangers. Some students said they have heard about certain drugs being “awesome” and can’t wait to try them.

I wonder what it’s going to take to convince people not to “experiment” with this stuff. 

Hard being a parent these days.

There is an old saying: do what you've always done.  You'll get what you've always got.

What is the modern (~100 years) approach to stemming the overwhelming destruction of drug addiction?  Law and punishment.

Has it worked?

-----------

Yes, it is very hard to be a parent.  It can feel like taking one of the most important tests of your life and no way to get the answer right.

Love covers a multitude of sins.

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  667
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

lftc,

I know that drug use has been around for a very long time and I believe is even becoming epidemic. People are looking for ways to escape out of their misery, stress, depression and unhappiness. Teens are being targeted with vaping and their flavors to try and connect with them. I have a young teen in middle school and kids talk and hear about it all the time. They are exposed by social media, internet and tv. When my daughter and I pray at night, we pray she and her friends continue to stay on the narrow path and don't follow the crowd.  

Who ever you are:  I was not going to post more.  But since you may be in the middle of the issue with a daughter being confronted with the issues, I'll give you my take on it.  For what it is worth: just the opinion of one among the billions of opinions.  A wisp of smoke on a windy day.

I have been around the drug issue for many years.  I have had friends addicted for years and have been friends with drug dealers.  And I am talking about the "legal" side of the issue.  I have known doctor friends that agonize over whether they should keep writing those prescriptions, especially after years of periodic deaths from overdoses.

And I have known the same roles on the "illegal" side.  I have sat most of the night with people as they deal with the agony, fear and apathy as they finally make the decision to give it one last try to break away.  Just listened as they discuss ways to kill themselves, even offering advice on ways that won't work.  But then reminding them that, yes, the path to life is horribly difficult, but there is hope of love. I can't speak bombastically as I barely cling to that hope myself.  Listened as they recount their history of starting in on drugs very young and living a life in and out of incarceration.  Been by their side for years as they cycle through times of strength and failure.  Been their when the failure has destroyed their ability to talk (literally) through brain damage.  Wondered how they died when they finally just disappear one day.  Stood at the side of their graves, lamenting their pain and hoping that they made to heaven.

I believe that the modern response fails completely and even have a reverse effect.  Why people do drugs is the issue. 

Starting in the early teen years, people become very aware of the futility of life.  Many "teens" comment constantly that they are bored. Suicide is a huge risk, in all age ranges, but especially in the modern young.  Life is exceedingly difficult.  Anyone saying otherwise may find some believers for a while, but eventually the believers know different. 

Your daughter's experience with people saying that "drugs are awesome" is common.  The real problem is it is true, at one level.  All the drugs that people choose to use provide good experiences.  Some of the experiences are reported to be tremendously enjoyable.  When young people hear one side of the story from the "authorities", then hear the other side from the people with real experience, they are faced with a delimma.  They know both sides are telling the truth, so they realize that, probably, the stories of bad things are scare tactics being used by the authorities.  And they are correct.  The authorities are using scare tactics, because the authorities can't address the real issue: meaning of/in life.

All the terrible experiences I described above are the results of using drugs, legal or illegal.  Why would people use them when they can see the effects on others?  The reason people use them is to escape from the results of living this life.  Drugs offer a almost guaranteed way to escape for a while.  There are many other ways to escape for a while, movies, sports, sex, food, music, social media, talking to friends, etc.  All escape methods have bad consequences if used the wrong way or too much.

The so-called "gateway" drugs don't offer much of an escape and don't have much of a negative consequence.  Things like marijuana.  Just makes the person feel mildly more relaxed and happy, like drinking a glass of wine or a couple beers.  But after a while, everyone wants a stronger effect.  They want to feel great for a little while, we all do.  If they have already accepted substances such as marijuana or alcohol to provide some life-escape and experienced minimal to zero negative effects, they have realized that the "authorities" have attempted to decieve them by only providing exteme examples.  So they are eager to try other things that provide more intense experiences, greater escapes.

And most will not fall completely apart.  There are many drug users who lead lives that others in their respective societies would classify as normal.  In fact, it is the majority.

So how does this help when talking with your daughter?  Make her aware of the real issues, that life has giant issues that drug abuse is only a symptom of. 

Young people are experiencing the same problems older people are; they are tempted with the same sins and experience the same shame and guilt.

Drugs offer a short, but effective escape.

Forgiveness offers the real escape.

Knowing God offers the hope of a reality that is beyond the sin, shame, escape cycle.

My advice is to be real.   Let your daughter see the real you with your sins and struggles.  She does anyway. 

Then let her see the real you really believing that God has forgiven you and loves you.  Let her see you struggle with that.

Then when she faces her own inevitable struggles, she will have hope that there is a way to go.  She saw her mom in action.

Edited by lftc
removed references to specific persons
  • Loved it! 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  645
  • Content Per Day:  0.38

2 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I wonder what it’s going to take to convince people not to “experiment” with this stuff

I am of the belief that the best way isn't to convince them (as that can fall on deaf ears as you note and I've never had any luck with it) but rather make sure and keep them so busy doing God's work that they won't have the time to experiment and hope that they'll be so full of the blessings that come from doing God's work that they'll not even want to risk losing them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

2 hours ago, lftc said:

Drug Addiction is very common in the modern world.  All around the world.  Some have the approval of their respective government (prescription) and some do not.

I was walking again a few days ago.  I went to a market.  I bought a food item I don't usually buy, as a treat because I deserve it.  Actually I don't but it helps to think such things when making a decision to spend more.

Walking away from the market, I was approached by a man, probably in his mid thirties. In this part of the world, one is always being approached, especially if you at all acknowldge that other people exist.  You know, by doing something like making eye contact.

He asked for money, saying he was hungry.  He was rather thin.

I do carry some coins just for such things.  But I've been around the block more than once.

I avoid his question and ask him a few friendly questions.  I observe for a moment, then ask him why he is doing drugs.  To someone who has been around the block, you can see the little signs.

He says he doesn't do drugs, but could I give him some money please.

I tell him that drugs are devils that will not let go.  His eyes go down.

I pull out my special treat and give it to him.  He glances at it distractedly and asks for money again.  Confirming that he is not hungry.  Confirming that he desparately needs money because the last dose is wearing off and he feels the sheer torment of being alive and especially being alive under the after affects of any reality altering drug. 

My heart breaks for him.

But I can't ease his pain by giving him more money to refresh his dose. 

I ask if I can pray for him.  He says yes (everyone on the street agrees to be prayed for - where else is hope? (rhetorical question, I wonder if you have the same answer as me)).

I put my hand on his shoulder.  Actually, I had put it there a while ago because it communicates to people that you care and are not afraid to be with them.

I just pray that Jesus would touch him and help him.

He thanks me.  And asks me for money again.  I laugh and say no, again.

We go separate ways.

A short distance later I am almost run down by a couple of trucks racing with sirens on and rifles at the ready.  Probably on their way to catch some drug users - that is the most common activity for them.

Fortunately, they were going the other way from my new friend.  I hope he eats my treat and gains enough nutrition to live for a while more.  I hope Jesus delivers him.

All we can do is pray for them. Giving them money is only feeding their addiction. There are many in this world who are making millions and billions from the drug trade. God knows. 

12 minutes ago, Prodigal Son said:

I myself am trying to overcome drug addiction. It is difficult for the ordinary person to understand.

We know it's bad for us, we know it only leads to pain so why don't we just stop? 

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." Romans 7: 15-19 (NIV)

I pray daily for the holy spirit to rid me of such addictions and although I have seen an improvement in my ability to withstand temptation I think it will be always there in the back of my mind, trying to derail me.

Beautifully said, brother (assuming brother because of your screen name). 

It is difficult for people to understand each other's failings.  Our temptation is to judge from a view securely within our area of strength.  Our opportunity is to recognize our individual areas of consistent failure and use those for true self-enlightenment.  Then we can understand each other and have mercy.

You will make it brother .  One day at time.  Remember the words of Jesus, the one who loves you:  Don't worry about tomorrow.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  129
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

9 hours ago, Prodigal Son said:

I myself am trying to overcome drug addiction. It is difficult for the ordinary person to understand.

We know it's bad for us, we know it only leads to pain so why don't we just stop? 

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing." Romans 7: 15-19 (NIV)

I pray daily for the holy spirit to rid me of such addictions and although I have seen an improvement in my ability to withstand temptation I think it will be always there in the back of my mind, trying to derail me.

Do you mind if I ask how you are dealing with this problem. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,466
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

It's sad, there's a global epidemic of both legal and illegal drug addiction. It makes no sense some countries have legalized all drug usage and have provided places to shoot up, smoke it and supply clean needles at taxpayer expense. As you're all aware; here in the US, states are legalizing recreational use of the gateway drug marijuana. The Bible clearly tells us that drug addiction [Gr. pharmakeia; medication, drugs; where we derive our word pharmacy] will be a major problem that will not be repented of in the last days, and it's getting worse, much worse.

These drug addictions are so strong and powerful, addicts will sell themselves, their children, lie, cheat, rob, steal and murder for their next fix. They will eventually lose all rational thinking, self respect, their health, family, home, job and everything. Many have died and been revived and given another chance with the drug NARCAN, yet they continue on in addiction. I just can't fathom the power of that sort of drug addiction and my heart goes out to them.

Personally speaking, I'm not a trained observer to determine if someone is a drug addict or not; unless it's blatantly obvious with sores, tract marks, etc. If I run across someone hungry begging for money for food, I know they must be desperate. No one wants to be an enabler and give your money for drug usage including myself. In this day and age it's not wise to take them somewhere to feed them. I'd prefer to error on the side of the money will be used to nourish their bodies instead of buying drugs. I will talk with them and let them know they are seen and noticed and acknowledge them. I will always give them a Salvation Bible tract and insist on a conditional exchange. I'll give them a few bucks if they promise to at least read the Gospel Bible tract. Perhaps a seed will be planted?

A verifiable fact: 80% of all US crime today is drug related in one way or another. Plotted and graphed on a linear scale of these drug addictions and related crimes; imagine what it's going to be like in just five more years; especially with recreational drug usage laws being enacted and open borders?