A question about marriage

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

Bro, I think you had better read MY answer to the OP.

Then read MY reply to your suggestion of 'slander'. (Implying I had slandered you.)

Then let's call it a day. Peace!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,200
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

May I remind you all that these two people are already living in a marriage relationship and have been for years....    it's not like they just met and deciding to get married....   one has accepted Jesus as Lord and wants to make her relationship legal in the eyes of God...

Someone comes here for help and we fight over scripture that really doesn't apply to this situation...

I don't know each state law, but where I live these two people have a common law marriage already and they just want to make it normal....   and we confuse the person who is asking for help.      If you advise the person who is a Christian to split from this person, at least here, you are legally telling them to divorce

Please stop....

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi, praise God that one person got saved and it's wonderful that they both want to get married. I would advise that they should not live together until they get married. If the saved person is serious about their faith in Christ and the unbeliever still wants to be with the saved person then they should continue together and strive to do what's right in the sight of God. In terms of being unequally yoked - because they were both unsaved and then one person got saved then it is not the case of deliberate disobedience. 

1 Corinthians 12-16

12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

edit/delete

Edited by BeauJangles

edit/delete 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I would suggest also if the person who is saved has access to a local pastor in their community they should seek counsel and they would be given a chance to explain the situation better and discuss all the intricacies. I'm sure there is a solution to this matter that God can get the glory from. He is a merciful and loving God. 

5 hours ago, Adstar said:

I read No scriptures that declared a Christian deciding to marry an unbeliever not to be sin..  None of the scriptures you provided supported that stance.. None at all..

On 9/29/2019 at 11:01 PM, BeauJangles said:

1 Peter 3:1 1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;  KJV

It's your privilege whether or not to believe scriptures as they stand. This by no means makes those who misunderstand any less a Christian. Simply it indicates a lack of discernment. No major crime to be short on knowledge, and we can all benefit by increasing wisdom. If you're steadfast thinking it's a sin, feel free to do so. Many are unteachable and content to remain that way.

James 1:5 5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.  KJV

Proverbs 2:6 6For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.  KJV 

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, Melinda12 said:

A situation. A couple have been living together unmarried for years. Then one becomes a Christian. The other is not yet willing to do the same. But they do now decide to get married as they are in love and could not possibly bear to part - though only one is a follower of Christ. 

Are they now both acceptable in the sight of God? The uneven yoking will be a problem but is it still a sin? 

A young couple like this need advice from experienced Christians please. 

Honestly, you can be unevenly yoked as Christians. I've dated Christian women who didn't respect my beliefs. Conversely, I've dated atheist, agnostic, and New Age women who accepted and respected my beliefs. The concern is with children. Tulsi Gabbard, the Democratic senator from Hawaii, is Hindu. Her mother is Hindu and her father is a Christian. I grew up in a religious family. My dad was Catholic, but wasn't much of a church-goer. My mother was Methodist and taught Sunday School. Jesus was the only way.

I think we sometimes make the mistake of interpreting Paul as we would interpret Christ. Jesus is the word of God. Paul is the word of a man who is trying his best to serve God. I do not believe that Paul had the same relationship with God as Moses where God was "co-authoring" the Torah. Or, should I say giving dictation if you will? I think Paul offers guidelines. For example, God intended for people to marry in the Garden of Eden. Paul says it's better not to marry. Well, yeah, it's better not to marry if you are a CEO, Navy SEAL, or long-haul truck driver too. A missionary in the 1st century of a new religious movement? Pretty darn right.

The question I would ask Paul is did he intend that message for just the church leadership or every Christian? Fledgling church leaders might be thrown off course by wives of other religions. Modern Christians have 2000 years of belief to stand on. I do not think it is a sin. If it was a sin, it would be a sin in the Torah and something Jesus would have said. I think "unevenly yoked" is a church communique. I'm not saying the epistles are not Biblical. I believe God intended them to be in the Bible much the same way as the Song of Solomon. Paul's epistles offer us something unique. My mentor at my college where I earned a minor in religious studies was "the Vatican's 4th most expert on the Apostle Paul" as he told it. Paul is both clarity and confusion. Mosaic Law and Jesus are crystal.

Edited by TraceMalin

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, BeauJangles said:

1 Peter 3:1 1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;  KJV

It's your privilege whether or not to believe scriptures as they stand. This by no means makes those who misunderstand any less a Christian. Simply it indicates a lack of discernment. No major crime to be short on knowledge, and we can all benefit by increasing wisdom. If you're steadfast thinking it's a sin, feel free to do so. Many are unteachable and content to remain that way.

James 1:5 5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.  KJV

Proverbs 2:6 6For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.  KJV

1 Peter 3:1 Says Nothing about allowing Christians to marry unbelievers..

Peter lived in a time where many new converts to Christianity where being made and MANY of them where ALREADY MARRIED to Unbelievers from before they came to believe in Christ..  So of course Peters advice to those who where ALREADY married to unbelievers is good and correct..

But their situation is different from the situation of of people who became Christians as single people.. They where told not to be yoked with unbelievers.. Two different situations. Two different guidance's from God..  So i believe 1 Peter 3 :1 AS THE WORD OF GOD to people who where already married to unbelievers.. Not as a license for single Christians believers to go and seek to be Yoked with unbelievers.. 

On 9/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, Melinda12 said:

The uneven yoking will be a problem but is it still a sin? A young couple like this need advice from experienced Christians please. 

Okay, so the OP in this case is notating the unequally yoked situation, and asking whether or not is it a sin for a believer to marry an unbeliever. You say it is here. 

On 9/29/2019 at 9:06 PM, Adstar said:

The Word of God calls on us Christians not to be yoked with unbelievers.. Therefore taking a part in rebellion against what the Word of God preaches is by very definition Sin..

And you feel very strongly about that apparently, and oppose this in every instance, for all situations.  

8 minutes ago, Adstar said:

1 Peter 3:1 Says Nothing about allowing Christians to marry unbelievers..

Peter lived in a time where many new converts to Christianity where being made and MANY of them where ALREADY MARRIED to Unbelievers from before they came to believe in Christ..  So of course Peters advice to those who where ALREADY married to unbelievers is good and correct..

But their situation is different from the situation of of people who became Christians as single people.. They where told not to be yoked with unbelievers.. Two different situations. Two different guidance's from God..  So i believe 1 Peter 3 :1 AS THE WORD OF GOD to people who where already married to unbelievers.. Not as a license for single Christians believers to go and seek to be Yoked with unbelievers.. 

So, are you also saying the couple mentioned by the OP are presently in a sinful condition, and should never wed under any circumstances? Wouldn't it be preferable for them to marry rather than live in sin? The Apostle Paul mentions this in 1 Corinthians 7:9.

1 Corinthians 7:9 9But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

But you say no. I understand what you're saying, but there's no reference to any scripture confirming your quote. If there's something missing, there seems to be interest in knowing it from the OP. These passages were posted previously, but let's look at them again for marital purposes. 

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the LORD, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the LORD Almighty.

Agreed, heavy admonishing here and clearly so. But on the other hand, what if by living the example of Jesus before the unbelieving spouse, he or she does eventually come to Christ as Saviour and Lord? This is still a sin? For some reason, no mention of marrying an unbeliever is a damnable sin condemning one to Hell in these passages. Have you anything on your end about this besides personal opinion?