A question about marriage

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0

Marriage to God is a covenant and never to be broken. When two people who are married cannot agree about their relationship with God, either one will join the other, or the other will join the one, or they will be forever separated according to their views. Our concept of love changes when we become a child of God because if then we love someone, we must now be willing to share His truth, no matter how uncomfortable. For one to live in the Spirit and the other to live in the flesh will never see their marriage fulfilled in the way God meant it to be.

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

The Word of God calls on us Christians not to be yoked with unbelievers.. Therefore taking a part in rebellion against what the Word of God preaches is by very definition Sin..

on us Christians

on us Christians

on us Christians

on us Christians

Not on people who got married before they became Christians.....

And you feel very strongly about that apparently, and oppose this in every instance, for all situations.  

One Instance on us Christians I NEVER Ever said it was upon people who got married before they became Christians.. Again we Christians should not seek to be yoked to un believers.. I have made this statement repeatedly in my follow up posts but you have willfully decided to disregard all my clarifications and have chosen to persist in presenting my position falsely and make slanderous accusations again me..    

End of discussion..

• Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.91
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 minutes ago, Coliseum said:

For one to live in the Spirit and the other to live in the flesh will never see their marriage fulfilled in the way God meant it to be.

This is very true. The sad situation however, is there are plenty of Christian couples who are also apparently not yoked equally either. One is Catholic, the other Protestant. One feels secure in their salvation, while their so-called better half is frightened of losing it. There can be as many divisions with believing couples as those who have only one spouse that is saved. I could go on, but the point has been made.  

11 minutes ago, Adstar said:

One Instance on us Christians I NEVER Ever said it was upon people who got married before they became Christians.. Again we Christians should not seek to be yoked to un believers.. I have made this statement repeatedly in my follow up posts but you have willfully decided to disregard all my clarifications and have chosen to persist in presenting my position falsely and make slanderous accusations again me..    

Yeah, I know your opinion quite well. I ask a couple of simple questions you can't seem to answer, and you find it slanderous? Care to quote where you've been bashed exactly?

27 minutes ago, Adstar said:

End of discussion..

For whatever the apparent misunderstandings may be, you have my humble apologies. 

Now, c'mere and I gives ya a big 0l' squishy hug! :bighug2:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.88
  • Days Won:  64

God knows what's best for us.    If she is a christian, she needs to move out and not live with him anymore.  Keep away from all appearances of evil.  She can pray for him and witness to him but if he is tempting her to sin she may need to stay away.  A christian's priority is to please the Lord first.  

There are so many troubles and a disagreements  to come because you will be going in two different directions.  The way your kids are raised just to mention one thing.    

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  07/05/1968

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -- Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

I often think of this line from The Princess Bride when I think of how we often interpret scripture. 2 Corinthians 6 says:

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? 16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the LORD, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the LORD Almighty.

Christians traditionally apply this to marriage. But, Paul is clearly telling the Corinthians to be separate from unbelievers. All of them. Not just spouses. If this applied only to marriage, I think Paul would have been more clear and said so. Paul specifically mentions marriage elsewhere. Paul's biggest concern was idolatry. He was trying to set up Christian churches. In his absence, he was concerned that those in the church would begin to mingle with other groups and go astray. Corinth was a major trading city where the worship of Aphrodite had been prominent along with a culture of promiscuity. The Romans brought the Romanized names we see in the Bible to Greece along with their gods. People worshipped the Egyptian goddess Isis and Mithras. The Jews were there, too. The new Jesus movement was surrounded by paganism and idolatry. Paul is warning of all fellowship.

If we heeded this today, we would find ourselves living more like cultists rather than living, working, serving in the military, and breaking bread with non-believers. In the Old Testament, God commands the Israelites to kill every last man woman and child of certain peoples God considered evil. Other people were allowed to live among the Israelites after the land was secure and the nation was established. When Joseph was taken to Egypt and God rescued him from slavery restoring him to a man of means, wealth and prominence, Joseph was also given an Egyptian wife. Genesis 41 50Before the years of famine came, two sons were born to Joseph by Asenath daughter of Potiphera, priest of On. 51Joseph named his firstborn Manasseh and said, "It is because God has made me forget all my trouble and all my father's household." 52The second son he named Ephraim and said, "It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering." Not only was she Egyptian, she was the daughter of a priest. Yet, God chose this woman to bless Joseph.

Paul is anti-marriage. For Paul, marriage is almost a necessary evil preventative. God is pro-marriage. The very first thing God said was "not good" was that man should be alone and made for him a woman.

God's concern in the Old Testament was that the Israelites would be enticed into idol worship by foreign wives. Paul would have been familiar with the Torah and Talmud forbidding marriage between Jews and non-Jews and instructed the Corinthians to avoid even fellowship.

Is it possible that today God would bless a Christian with a non-Christian wife like he blessed Joseph?

This is an interesting observation I discovered:

Yahweh fulfilled the promise to Abraham in partial ways under the monarchy of Israel, but also shows that the complete fulfillment awaited a new covenant, a covenant of the Spirit and not of the letter. Thus, in both a positive and negative way, Solomon's marriage to Pharaoh's daughter points ahead to the final fulfillment of the promise to Abraham in Jesus, the Greater Son of David: Jesus, like Solomon, marries a foreign bride; but Jesus, unlike Solomon, remains faithful to His Father, and His heart is not drawn away by His bride's gods. So also, the church allies with foreigners, entering into the ecclesial marriage covenant with people from every tribe and tongue and nation; but because the church has entered a new covenant, when the law is written on the heart, the church has the capacity to remain faithful to her lord while in the midst of the nations that serve other lords. Kings thus points both to the glory and the limitations of the Law, and shows that the Abrahamic promise cannot be fulfilled while men are still under Law, in flesh, in Adam.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/leithart/2004/08/solomon-and-pharaohs-daughter-a-pauline-interpretation/

By understanding the spirit of the law, we may be able to separate blessings from curses. When in doubt ... pray.

Edited by TraceMalin

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 9/29/2019 at 9:21 PM, Melinda12 said:

A situation. A couple have been living together unmarried for years. Then one becomes a Christian. The other is not yet willing to do the same. But they do now decide to get married as they are in love and could not possibly bear to part - though only one is a follower of Christ. 

Are they now both acceptable in the sight of God? The uneven yoking will be a problem but is it still a sin? 

A young couple like this need advice from experienced Christians please. 

I think time should be available for the other one to convert. If she has values that correspond with scripture in terms of the relationship and she will let him go to church, etc that is good. I have family that dont like my faith even though they call themselves Christians. I still love them and they love me.