Sign in to follow this  
William1626

Fasting

Question

Shalom brothers and sisters, I hope you are well in the Lord Jesus. I just have a question with regarding prayer, praise and worship while fasting. I would like guidance on how this should be done biblically, and from your experience, I really want to learn and experience this wonderful truth. For example if I set a full day or three days aside for fasting and praying, and praise and worship. Thank you and grace, mercy and peace from our Lord be with you all. Amen. 

3 answers to this question

Question: "Christian fasting - what does the Bible say?"

Answer: 
Scripture does not command Christians to fast. God does not require or demand it of Christians. At the same time, the Bible presents fasting as something that is good, profitable, and beneficial. The book of Acts records believers fasting before they made important decisions (Acts 13:2; 14:23). Fasting and prayer are often linked together (Luke 2:37; 5:33). Too often, the focus of fasting is on the lack of food. Instead, the purpose of fasting should be to take your eyes off the things of this world to focus completely on God. Fasting is a way to demonstrate to God, and to ourselves, that we are serious about our relationship with Him. Fasting helps us gain a new perspective and a renewed reliance upon God.
Although fasting in Scripture is almost always a fasting from food, there are other ways to fast. Anything given up temporarily in order to focus all our attention on God can be considered a fast (1 Corinthians 7:1-5). Fasting should be limited to a set time, especially when fasting from food. Extended periods of time without eating can be harmful to the body. Fasting is not intended to punish the flesh, but to redirect attention to God. Fasting should not be considered a “dieting method” either. The purpose of a biblical fast is not to lose weight, but rather to gain deeper fellowship with God. Anyone can fast, but some may not be able to fast from food (diabetics, for example). Everyone can temporarily give up something in order to draw closer to God.

By taking our eyes off the things of this world, we can more successfully turn our attention to Christ. Fasting is not a way to get God to do what we want. Fasting changes us, not God. Fasting is not a way to appear more spiritual than others. Fasting is to be done in a spirit of humility and a joyful attitude. Matthew 6:16-18 declares, “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/fasting-Christian.html

Edited by missmuffet
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/29/2019 at 5:30 AM, William1626 said:

For example if I set a full day or three days aside for fasting and praying, and praise and worship. Thank you and grace, mercy and peace from our Lord be with you all. Amen. 

Fasting is done as a means of direct intercession before the Lord. All who are able physically and without causing health concerns, can benefit spiritually from fasting and prayer. It's good for breaking bondages as well - especially for the purposes of deliverance, for example. Jesus had this to say concerning fasting, but first a passage from Joel. 

Joel 2:12 12Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:  KJV

Matthew 6:16-18 16Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 17But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.  KJV

• Thumbs Up 1

Read Isaiah 58 - this speaks a lot about fasting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Trayalc
      Very recently, I asked you all for prayer after letting someone I care about go (https://www.worthychristianforums.com/topic/244704-please-pray-for-the-girl-i-care-about-and-me/?tab=comments#comment-3092492).

It's been very hard. I've missed her tremendously, and I've almost constantly questioned my decision. But on Monday, in reading a book for my church small group (What Now? by Hannah Duggan), I (completely unexpectedly) came across the following passage.

I was absolutely shocked and amazed at the timing and relevance of this. I knew it had to be God. This brought me an enormous amount of comfort, and even though I still miss her and worry about her, I know the best thing I can do for her now is to pray for her and trust God with the rest. Maybe God intends for us to come back together sometime in the future, maybe not. Nonetheless, may God's will be done in both our lives. 
      Thank you all so much for your prayers thus far!
    • By Jonathan BeWell
      Praise the Lord, hallelujah!
      Praise You, God, for your purity and perfection!  Praise You Lord, Jesus Christ, for saving me and my testimony!  Glory be to You, God, our Father who art in Heaven!  Thanks be to the Holy Spirit's comfort, teaching and guidance!  All we know, understand, experience and struggle with is for your glory, perfect plan and unquestionable will.  I shall not want or crave anything outside of Jesus Christ's way.  Let me know if so, let me understand what You want for us is best.  May I pick up and carry my own cross, denying myself for You.  I worship You as all knowing, powerful and gracious.  May I draw closer to You and keep You as top priority in my family's lives.  You are first, my family is second and I am here to serve.  May I serve you reverently, fully and completely.  May there be less of me and more of Jesus Christ instead.  Jesus, You are thee only way, light and salvation.  All I need is You.  God, You take care of the rest.  You are in control, God, making and letting everything happen.  I am in awe and wonder of your creation.  I am eternally grateful, worshipping You and your Son for thee ultimate sacrifice and act of love.  This body is your temple, use it as You will.  Bend me from my will to yours.  It is all about You, everything concerns and relates to You!  Yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever and ever, in Jesus Christ's name, amen!
      Sincerely yours,
      GregoryB
    • By SamanthaMath
      I would like to offer prayers for my aunt. She is having a tough time with her psoriasis, she has been contemplating ending her life. She was alway such a happy, warm soul, always laughing. 

She is 76, and has been my favorite aunt since childhood. She helped take care of my precocious daughter who is WAY too independent for her own good haha.

Thank you
    • By mo llama
      Three words of gratitude, six words or sentences to tell a story, social media posts, pics, pins, hashtags, tweets...let's see: who do I want people to think I am today? I can't say I don't care or it doesn't matter; I wouldn't be typing if I didn't feel the need to connect to someone, somewhere on some level. I suppose I'll use today's three tags: "choice", "praise", and the combo tag of "mental health and faith". Who am I - REALLY - when the labels, expectations, familial roles and everyday tasks and duties are stripped away either by circumstance or by choice? I am surely a product of both NATURE and NURTURE - both exquisitely, purposefully designed and orchestrated by the ONE who chose to call me into existence, calls me to himself in repentance and faith, and calls me to remain continually on my face at His feet. I am to PRAISE HIM ("point to Him in all things"). Faith and Praise are both gifts and choices. The sometimes daily struggle to stand boldly and firmly in that faith and praise is a choice.  Life's hard. Changes happen. Broken, hurting, sinful people sin, hurt others and break things all the time. Pain, illness, disease, and the rest of the consequences of the fall of man wear us down physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually.  Even warriors can be brought low to the point of despair. In a state of exhaustion it can be hard to remember why you're fighting, why it's important to keep swinging, where to find solid ground to stand on and why it's important to choose to get out of bed in the morning. 
      ON THIS FINE DAY, my choice is to open my eyes, sit up on the edge of the bed and take the Outstretched Hand being offered me. As I place my tired, bunny-slippered feet on top of His I choose to accept His gift of truth, promise, hope and love. What a privilege... to be chosen and and to choose.
      ON THIS FINE DAY, I pray you too will be free to dance the dance of a well-loved child. 
    • By anxietygal101
      Hello Everybody,
      I am a 16 year old girl currently dealing with very bad health anxiety. I have frequent heart palpitations and extra heart beats and it is terrifying and i live in constant fear of dying. I pray everynight for help and I will never loose faith in my Lord but please, can you pray for me? I want to feel normal again. If there is any specific prayer I should say to help with anxiety, please let me know! Thank you. ❤️