IGNORED

Is it wrong to want to read about a different religion ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,621
  • Content Per Day:  1.09
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  02/15/1973

4 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Is it wrong to want to read about a different religion I checked out a book about the history of the Islamic religion am I wrong to want to read about it for education purpose even though I am a Christian any advice would be appreciated ?

I remember this post from last year. The opster only stayed a month and she left. Are we still addressing her or discussing other issues in her absence? Sorry. Just curious. :b:

I’m sure the question at hand can be useful or valuable to others that may be asking or wondering the same question. Some may not physically pose the question but ask the question in their minds and read these posts and have their questions answered. Everything is for a purpose whether we know it or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

3 minutes ago, Eddy Crocker said:

I’m sure the question at hand can be useful or valuable to others that may be asking or wondering the same question. Some may not physically pose the question but ask the question in their minds and read these posts and have their questions answered. Everything is for a purpose whether we know it or not.

Maybe. Carry on. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  0

On 12/7/2019 at 11:12 PM, Newsie4ever said:

Is it wrong to want to read about a different religion I checked out a book about the history of the Islamic religion am I wrong to want to read about it for education purpose even though I am a Christian any advice would be appreciated ?

I personally don't have a problem with it.  In fact, most apologists have to read about other religions in order to talk with people of those faiths.

Ravi Zachariah was absolutely mind blowing, the way he would go to an open forum, and talk with any person of any faith, and knew all their beliefs.  That guy has written books about nearly every faith that exists.  Now I assume he had to read about those faiths, and read the "holy texts" those faiths were based on, in order write about them.

So, no I don't see a problem reading about other faiths.

In some ways, you can learn a ton about why the Christian faith is clearly brilliant and accurate, and why G-d wrote a book... that you can't learn just by shutting yourself off from the rest of the world.

I can say for myself, reading the Qur'an, and reading the book of Mormon, and reading about Buddhism, and so on.... made me really appreciate that the Bible really is uniquely different.  It really is a book written that can't be compared to the pagan faiths of the world.  It is different.  It's not like those other texts, and beliefs.

I often found myself, with a beliefs that man is generally good.... and I kept looking around the world and saying.... then why is man so screwed up?  Why does he keep doing such horrible things?

Only the Bible really explains why man is the way he is.  Why the world is, the way that it is. 

So for me, learning about other faiths, only made my own faith in Jesus Christ the Lord, stronger and more secure in why I believe what I believe.

Hope that helps.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

52 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

So, no I don't see a problem reading about other faiths.

Just a mention since this thread is out there again. I don't see a problem with having knowledge of comparative religions either. Only one stipulation is essential concerning it. As long as it does not pollute your faith in Christ, then it's okay. On the other hand, if a person is not fully grounded, delving into matters of other religions could be risky. Baby Christians such as the opster that only remained here a month should be wary. It could cause faltering. Okay that's all. 

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Sometimes, it is good to know the person you are answering. I got to know her. She trusted me. She sent me many texts concerned whether one thing was right over another, good or should be left alone, etc. She was searching. I must add that she was perhaps the sweetest young woman who loves God that i have ever met on a forum. She was as straight as a piano wire. She was extremely shy, very delicate, her feelings easily hurt. Many could not have known why she left; she did not know what to say. She did not see the bickering, the judgment, the blame. It was not in her. She was extremely quiet, and her ability to socialize was unlike a people who seem to know it all. Her questions were pure. She just wanted people's opinions and thoughts. Everyone of us comes here for whatever their own personal reasons and biases. I am so sad to see her go. I even asked one Christian lady here if she would not mind befriending her so that she could have some kind of mentor who might come along side her. This Christian lady tried, but it may have been too late. I cannot stress enough how our words to others matter. They matter to you, they matter to me,  and they certainly mattered to her. Some here have already shared they are backing away from all the arguing and know-it-all attitudes---and frankly, I do not blame them. We do not have what Jesus had who said that he knew what is in a man's heart. We must be even more careful, and I appreciate all of us who are.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19

On 12/8/2019 at 5:12 AM, Newsie4ever said:

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Everything that is not in line with the words of God are falsehoods.
Since the day we were born, from the day we could understand language or read, we were flooded with falsehoods. 
In my opinion there is nothing bad with reading about other religions, reading newspapers, reading novels, watching movies. Just keep in mind whether what you do is glorifying God. Is it building up your faith?

In my own experience I automatically stopped watching many types of Hollywood movies, because I just didn't like them anymore.
But I did try to understand the core basics of other religions and try to understand where they go wrong by comparing those with the truth. Know your enemy, stay in truth. Matthew 10:16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves.

For me, by studying other religion, it confirmed even more that Jesus is the truth! And after I had understood the core basics of the other religions, that was enough for me.

It may become a problem I think when you know more about the other religions than the word of God. And when you put more time in these other religions than studying the word of God. Matthew 6:21 for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.

John 10:27-28 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;  and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
(when you are His sheep, other religions won't snatch you out of His hand. Unless you are not His sheep.)

Edited by Wesley L

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Content Count:  875
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  1

I may sound repetitive but it bares repeating:  The truth is Jesus Christ. Nothing else will do anything for you except lead you hell. His name is TRUTH. NEVER even consider another religion. They are of satan. Every single one. Don’t bother reading about lies. 

• 1 month later...

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,176
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Birthday:  04/29/1987

On 12/8/2019 at 4:12 AM, Newsie4ever said:

There is nothing wrong with that, i do that myself, but i fill my mind with information so i can use it when i am "debating" with a Muslim. However, it you are curious you might need to protect your salvation and work on spiritual growth, because evil can let something that doesnt seem to be wrong as a temptation.