• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  957
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,631
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I'm against New Years, it has pagan origins ya know. Celebrating a secular calendar event,  harrumph!

Actually, I am praying for the poor neighboring family that engaged in their first domestic hollering match at 4:00 AM this New Years Day.

The New Year's Eve Party party there lasted until 3:00 AM today  with  people being loudly rowdy, got a bit quieter for an hour then wham  the fight was on. So very sad. What a way to begin,  or continue  I suppose last years trespasses.

Would have been such a good time to begin forgiving one to another. Maybe there is a lesson in it, right now it is just an experience that kept me up once again on New years eve, seems that way  around here each year for 41 years now. Amazing same household, new generations taking up the old family habits. Booze it then fight and finally pass out for a day. May God the Holy Spirit intervene and bring them to a happier way to live. May the generational cycle be broken up and joy that is sustainable come to them that they may be happier.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I stay up playing video games. I didnt do anything pagan and I kept all my cloths on. It was too cold to go dancing naked in snow. Even with a bonfire.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

In my hood, neighbors like to shoot off their guns.   So,  we were in the bomb shelter doing maintenance, cleaning and stocking the shelves. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

On 1/2/2020 at 12:53 AM, Neighbor said:

I'm against New Years, it has pagan origins ya know. Celebrating a secular calendar event,  harrumph!

Where does the Bible say we can't celebrate New Year's Day?   The fact of the matter is, there are countless pagan customs that are completely harmless and that Christians can participate in without sinning or offending God.  

Do you follow the Olympics?  That began as a pagan festival to worship the Greek god, Zeus. Wedding rings are a pagan custom - as is throwing confetti over newly-weds and the bride throwing a bouquet of flowers over her shoulder.  Celebrating birthdays is also a pagan custom.  Every culture today has ancient pagan customs that are harmless to Christians.

• Haha 1
  • Well Said! 1

7 minutes ago, RogerDC said:

Where does the Bible say we can't celebrate New Year's Day? .....  

Hi, Welcome to the board.

We can celebrate New Years day. But it is being celebrated on the wrong date.

. .

. .

. .

:emot-partyblower:

Happy New Year, may God bless in 2020.

• Group:  Catholic
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  89
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

32 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Welcome to the board.

Happy New Year, may God bless in 2020.

Thanx and thanx.  God bless you too

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  43
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

We don't "celebrate" as unbelievers do. We are challenged to look back at 2019 and reflect... And recall Gods faithfulness, grace, patience. Reflection on opportunities we had to obey and didn't, reflection on how we might be more faithful in 2020. I can glorify God in anything and everything. 1 Corinthians 10:31, NLT: "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

Col 2:16
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

I think this thread was made as a joke. Because so many people were going off about Christmas and Santa being pagan. So lets just toss in New Years as well and go off about that too. :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,176
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I think this thread was made as a joke. Because so many people were going off about Christmas and Santa being pagan. So lets just toss in New Years as well and go off about that too. :red-neck-laughing-smiley-emoticon:

I would hope you are right...   that's the way I took it anyway.....    I fell asleep about 9:30 after coming back from visiting a close friend who was in the hospital....  My wife stayed up till about 11:15 after they dropped the ball in NYC and she went to bed....     I woke up early the next morning feeling great and got up and went to the Y and swam for an hour same as this morning....

Much better than the hangover that we used to have to put up when we were in our 20's...    but even with all the partying I don't remember any pagan things for new years....   though I would agree with Neighbor that like Christmas it is on the wrong day...    hummmm…..    is exercising a pagan custom...   if so let me know and I might have to stop  LoL

For us now that we are retired and not working, one day is about like any other (except sunday) however we do try and not travel with all the working people are off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, Yes of course it was to be humor, maybe it was a clunker, or is it clinker? I was trying to set up the humor of it being celebrated  on the wrong day  of the year. Oh well. Seemed funny to me at the time.

I have missed entirely the opportunity to rail on about Epiphany ( January 6 ) as I was traveling. But Valentines Day is fast approaching. Is that a international thing or just a USA thing?  

• Haha 1