creativemechanic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  0

This is a classic gospel song. But when you look at the lyrics. It really isnt. When you think of it should we really be singing it  in churches. Its more toxic that tonic because it encourages people to  stand firm in their old traditions which in some cases arent always biblical

The Power of Music.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The teaching that was good enough for Paul and for Silas to share is good enough  for me.

Let me sing it out:

Give me Paul's and Silas' teaching

Give me Paul's and Silas' teaching

It came inspired of God and it's good enough for me.

Give me that old timey teaching

It's more than good enough for me.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Worship is powerful of course. Yet all that is praise of God need not be a regurgitating of the New testament  of the Bible to melody.

One will not necessarily see the name Yeshua in Psalms ( worship music ) within the Bible. One  will see Salvation used instead. Yet many Psalms within the Bible speak of Jesus and proclaim him within the music lyric prophetically.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

46 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

The teaching that was good enough for Paul and for Silas to share is good enough  for me.

Let me sing it out:

Give me Paul's and Silas' teaching

It came inspired of God and it's good enough for me.

It's more than good enough for me.

Thats the thing  alot of those "old time" things weren't even in Paul and silas time.  People mistakenly  assume that  alot of the older traditions  were how  Christianity  was practised in the early church and this resist any change rvne for the better.Truth is ..... they weren't.  They were just added in in years of tradition. Its similar to how the Pharisees  operated and part of why they attacked Jesus  so much

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

This is a classic gospel song. But when you look at the lyrics. It really isnt. When you think of it should we really be singing it  in churches. Its more toxic that tonic because it encourages people to  stand firm in their old traditions which in some cases arent always biblical

I enjoy a lot of your art and mini sermons, creativemechanic,
but I disagree with your conclusion about this old tune.
It's relative. The underlying theme 'I understand' is, if it ain't broke,
Don't fix it!
You're assuming their old religion was not true.
You say we "
should not be singing it  in churches, it's toxic, and causes people  to 
stand firm in their old traditions which in some cases aren't always biblical"

You are condemning this old tune because it did not meet with your approval/standard.
Does it contain the gospel? No. So what.
There are so many great Christian songs that also do not have the gospel message.
The definition today of "religion" is frowned upon by modern Christians.
Because there are so many false religions today.
At the time it was first written, almost a hundred and fifty years ago, having 'religion' was a good thing.
Considering modern religions today, I think the 'old time religion' would fare better.

Give me that old time religion
And it's good enough for  me

It was good for our mothers,...

Makes me love everybody,...

It was good for our fathers,...

It was good for the Hebrew children,...

It was good for Paul and Silas,....

It will do when I am dying,...

It was good for the prophet Daniel,...

It was tried in the fiery furnace,...

It will take us all to heaven,...

People often make "critiques" on your art work creativemechanic, that missed your intent.
I think you miss the intent of the the writer of this tune.

African-American spiritual first published in 1872 in "Jubilee Songs As Sung By the Fisk Jubilee Singers"

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

5 hours ago, creativemechanic said:

The Power of Music.jpg

Even though it does not mention God it is obviously a religious song. Some Christian songs will mention God and some will not. You have to have good Christian descernment to choose as a Christian what you should listen to. The problem today is that we do not have enough of "That Old Time Religion".

Edited by missmuffet

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  1,979
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  1

I personally like the song, ...it makes me feel good, and causes me to clap my hands and tap my feet.

Where I see the problem "arises" is there is "praise" music and "worship" music, both are good if used in the way they are intended to be used.

When the "church" comes together, ...when His children walk through the door of the building they use to assemble in, ...they are bringing with them the "problems" of the world they have encountered and/or been involved in/with,

...a prudent and anointed Worship leader(s) knows this, so they will start out with "praise" songs, ...songs that "talk" about what God has done "for" them, starting with upbeat songs with rhythm and then slowing down, ...that causes the people to leave the "world" outside and concentrate on "who" they came to be with and hear...

...then the Worship leader will change, ...he/she/they will start to "Worship" Father in songs of "who" God is, ...as is stated in Psa 22:3, ...our Heavenly Father will come and be with them during this time of Worship, ...what they are doing is entering into Worship "first" with our Heavenly Father and then they "bring" the congregation with them so that they too "enter" into the Worship with Him.

At this point Psa 22:22 is in place and moving, ...it is Jesus, ...through the Holy Spirit leading the Worship, ...and very important to understand, ..during true Worship, ...He "only" uses songs He has written, ...the Psalms tell us that.

The ultimate "pinnacle" point of Worship is silence... we are in the presence of the Triune God, ...Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all present,...and that presence we "sense" in our spirits causes us Worship Him in a way that we are unable to express with a language of this world,  ...we Worship him from our heart with the language of our "heart,"  ........which causes us to accomplish and fulfill what Jesus said our Father is looking for, ...those that Worship Him in Spirit and Truth.   john 4:24

Lord bless

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,710
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

The songs not about old time tradition but about the message of the Bible never changing. Looks like to me your looking for problems where there are none.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Content Count:  1,403
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I find that particular song very relevant to today. I grew up attending a lot of churches that were primarily operated and populated by older people, and I'm getting older myself. Heresies and false doctrines are almost as old as religion itself, but some of the things I've seen being called Christianity today are equal parts baffling and horrifying. I'd take an old traditional church over some of the things being taught today any day.

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.93
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

On 1/11/2020 at 6:04 AM, creativemechanic said:

The Power of Music.jpg

Now bro, there's quite a lot of hymns and what's known as "spirituals", that are the backbone of the gospel music industry as a whole. Songs like Glory, Glory, Hallelujah and more modern ones like Oh, Happy Day were meant to invoke a sense of worship. Nothing wrong with that. And a lot of Hymns were incorrect doctrinally speaking. But if they bring about what they're intended, then it's a good thing. Sound fair? 

Edited by BeauJangles