IGNORED

Marriage and government

Guest K9Buck

3 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

It is the system that has been in the us since we were founded. I see no reason to change.

By that logic, we could argue for reinstating slavery.  

2 minutes ago, Firm Foundation said:

Nobody is forcing anyone into getting government recognition.  There are common law marriages and churches that will marry a couple without a license if they want that.  I don't see a need to change it, except we shouldn't have gay marriage forced on us.

I believe that the U.S. was founded on the principle of freedom, particularly freedom from the state.  Remember, the original settlers came to America so that they could worship as they saw fit - and they did.  

Why should others be denied the right to live their life as they see fit, so long as it doesn't adversely affect a third party?  A gay couple getting married doesn't affect you nor I.  So why should we have a say in whether or not they can be married?  Why shouldn't they have the "free will" to be married?  Because you disapprove?  

There are basically two segments of America that want to dictate everyone's lives, the political left and the religious right.  They're opposite sides of the same coin. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Jesus did not recognize the woman at the well as being legally married.  She was just living with her boy friend.  We are told to abide by the laws of the land unless they violate God's laws.  

Rom 13:1  Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

Rom 13:2  Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, Rom 13:4  for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Rom 13:5  Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Rom 13:6  For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing.

Rom 13:7  Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1993

How would the government recognize marriage without a marriage license? The license IS government recognition. 

18 minutes ago, Willa said:

Jesus did not recognize the woman at the well as being legally married.  She was just living with her boy friend.  We are told to abide by the laws of the land unless they violate God's laws.  

Rom 13:1  Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

Rom 13:2  Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Rom 13:3  For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, Rom 13:4  for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.

Rom 13:5  Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Rom 13:6  For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing.

Rom 13:7  Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.

So you would have NO PROBLEM living under Sharia Law if Muslims were to become the majority, right?  

3 minutes ago, AngelInTraining93 said:

How would the government recognize marriage without a marriage license? The license IS government recognition. 

The same way the government and courts "recognize" a private agreement between two people.  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

7 minutes ago, K9Buck said:

We are told to abide by the laws of the land unless they violate God's laws.  

I would not live in such a land.  I have a friend who lived in Arabia for many years and had to abide by their laws.  The ruler or sheik of the area is the law.  There is no freedom of religion there. A hunting dog is worth more than a woman there.  

29 minutes ago, Willa said:

I would not live in such a land.  I have a friend who lived in Arabia for many years and had to abide by their laws.  The ruler or sheik of the area is the law.  There is no freedom of religion there. A hunting dog is worth more than a woman there.  

Neither would I.  But if Muslims were to become the majority here in America (just for the sake of this discussion :) ), you would very well want government to be secular.  The same is true if it were Buddhists or Hindus or Catholics.  You would oppose, I presume, any system based on a religious philosophy other than your own.   You wouldn't want to live under another's belief system, but you have no problem making others live under yours, right?  

6 minutes ago, DDisconnect said:

As for "not hurting anyone," I disagree. ...It's like a thief...

Your analogy is not analogous.  A thief harms an innocent third party by stealing their wealth.  Two guys getting "married" harms no one.