• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Today the 700 Club did a short report on the history of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal movement. I think it started about 100 yrs ago. On Mon 3/2/20 they are doing another piece on the Movement. About 30 yrs ago I went to a Catholic Charismatic Mass and I thought it was quite good. The communion service was the same as in a typical Mass but the rest of the service was more like in a Born Again church than in a Catholic church. I was hopeful for thee CC after I went to this Mass. But then I heard the Bishop of our Dioceses doesn't like the Charismatic Renewal movement so the people were discouraged from attending. Nevertheless, the Charismatic Renewal Movement proves the CC isn't all bad. Now if only they'd stop praying to Mary and the Saints.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

On 2/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, JTC said:

Mabel, none of the Catholic rules are in the Bible. So why are they part of the world's largest Christ worshiping religion. I have a theory. What Maryjayne explained as the reason for Lent is correct. Back in the first few centuries after Jesus died the true Christian groups of people probably did these things of their own accord. But at sometime after Christianity became the legal religion of Rome, a huge powerful empire, the average person didn't believe in Jesus which meant he/she should die. The clergy had a problem. They were about to lose maybe 1/2 their people because the average Roman wasn't a Christian at heart. So I think, and this is just a theory, the clergy created a form of Christianity that most people would obey and which would also satisfy the true men of God in the clergy. Do you understand? I'm not asking if you agree, I'm asking if this makes sense to you? Because following this line of reasoning, we can explain almost every Catholic practice there is.

And now, Israel, what doth the Lord thy God require of thee, but to fear the Lord thy God , to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the Lord thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God ?

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  3,149
  • Content Per Day:  1.05

rcc and the charismaatic movement ...i did the charasmatic and discovered that it has a rcc roots. took me a while to figure that out.

21 hours ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Mabel, none of the Catholic rules are in the Bible. So why are they part of the world's largest Christ worshiping religion. I have a theory. What Maryjayne explained as the reason for Lent is correct. Back in the first few centuries after Jesus died the true Christian groups of people probably did these things of their own accord. But at sometime after Christianity became the legal religion of Rome, a huge powerful empire, the average person didn't believe in Jesus which meant he/she should die. The clergy had a problem. They were about to lose maybe 1/2 their people because the average Roman wasn't a Christian at heart. So I think, and this is just a theory, the clergy created a form of Christianity that most people would obey and which would also satisfy the true men of God in the clergy. Do you understand? I'm not asking if you agree, I'm asking if this makes sense to you? Because following this line of reasoning, we can explain almost every Catholic practice there is.

yeah the term man made religion comes to mind and then you have lots of folk who just believe what they are told and dont take the time to study.

i have Never been a fan of organised religion. i could never really see the point in it. but because society told me that it was this way i couldnt understand why i felt at such odds with it. it just crushes what little spirit you have inside.

• Praying! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.96
  • Days Won:  21

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  65
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Watch out for the established ruts so they don't trip us up as we walk this walk and run this race.  Yes, God gave us commandments so we could know what to do and not do.  Yes, the work of acceptance with God is finished in Christ for those who trust in Him and rest in Him.  Yes there is an overcoming to be done, a work in His fields, a faith that is worked out with evidence of obedience to what He says.  Don't get caught in the ruts that exclude all the components because they don't naturally exclude each other - they work together as we abide in Christ to bear much fruit and walk in the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus and avoid walking in the ways of sin and death.  

I think I'm right that the only commanded regular fast day is the Day of Atonement.  Other days were mentioned, like the big repentance of Ninevah, the several fasts Jesus did, the religious fasts that the Pharisees thought and the commentary that suggests they thought they were more righteous than the next person because they fasted more than average - twice in the week, and the fact that the disciples didn't fast while with Jesus while John's disciples fasted often. 

I've only gotten to page 3 of the comments and there have been some great discussions here!  My thought, fast when God calls you to fast - on the Day of Atonement and on other days that He lays on your heart.  Look at church history with interest but only involve yourselves in the traditions where you find they agree with the Scriptures.  We, each of us,is responsible for carrying on the message of Christ to the future, and I sure don't want the message I carry forward to perpetuate tradition, rather I want it to perpetuate what living the truth in this generation looks like.  

In that vein, look at Leviticus around chapter 23 and get an idea of what cycle of celebrations God Himself suggested to His people.  This would be a good period of time to look at the preparation for the Passover, especially in light of what Jesus Himself showed us about it with His life example.  It may take these remaining weeks (roughly the period of Lent) to study and realize how deep this can get so that our hearts and minds are ready.  Some groups follow the singular example of Jesus Christ and celebrate His last supper as a once a year communion with an intensity that I find compelling.  No matter how often we take this cup/bread, may we show forth His death and the grand purpose and outcome, may we realize that we are taking in His life and participating in His body, and may that work in us an ongoing purpose and a life of obedience.  While you are in Leviticus, look at the remaining celebrations in the cycle and see how beautifully the plan of salvation is displayed annually.  

• Thanks 1

indeed i will get along to Leviticus is due time- thanks Ruth for your comments

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Content Count:  2,087
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

3 hours ago, existential mabel said:

yeah the term man made religion comes to mind and then you have lots of folk who just believe what they are told and dont take the time to study.

i have Never been a fan of organised religion. i could never really see the point in it. but because society told me that it was this way i couldnt understand why i felt at such odds with it. it just crushes what little spirit you have inside.

I did not say,  "Mabel, none of the Catholic rules are in the Bible. ",  I posted two scriptures in response to it.

As the saying goes, "all things are lawful,  but not all things are helpful."     If someone, celebrating that period brings them closer to Jesus, so be it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

No. Lent isn't Biblical. But if you want to do it for it, then do so. 

I celebrate my children's birthdays. That aint biblical either.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 2/28/2020 at 12:30 PM, Daniel Marsh said:

What Maryjayne explained as the reason for Lent is correct. Back in the first few centuries after Jesus died the true Christian groups of people probably did these things of their own accord. But at sometime after Christianity became the legal religion of Rome, a huge powerful empire, the average person didn't believe in Jesus which meant he/she should die. The clergy had a problem. They were about to lose maybe 1/2 their people because the average Roman wasn't a Christian at heart. So I think, and this is just a theory, the clergy created a form of Christianity that most people would obey and which would also satisfy the true men of God in the clergy. Do you understand? I'm not asking if you agree, I'm asking if this makes sense to you? Because following this line of reasoning, we can explain almost every Catholic practice there is.

I agree with this very much. In fact I have often tried to write up a synopsis of Catholicism like this myself, but I always failed. Congratulations Maryjayne, you stated this very well. I've known many Catholic people who love God as much as any of us, but instead of reading their Bibles they follow the rules of their local priests. Since some priests teach Biblical ideas while others teach traditions, different Catholic people have different ideas. 

But as I write this it occurs to me that even us Protestants do this too. This is why I believe we all should seek God as best we can.

• Thumbs Up 1