Amanda Frances

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  304
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0

My personal experience is, the more I get closer to God, the less interest I have for many types of movies/books/tv series.
In the beginning I used to watch Walking dead, Game of Thrones... but further in my walk with Christ, I started losing interest in those series. Trying to watch them, I started to see the violence differently. Not entertaining anymore but more repulsive, glorifying death and murder. Also, the more I realize how much garbage is being made in Hollywood and worldwide. The facade is gone, seeing the truth now.

But I won't tell other christians what not to watch, because each is christian at a different pace. Just as Paul told us not to become a stumbling block towards other christians when we decide not to eat certain type of foods.
But with my own kids, I would protect them from certain cartoons, youtube videos and books. While preparing them so that they are armed and armored with the word of God.

Edited by Wesley L
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  38
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  8,700
  • Content Per Day:  3.90
  • Days Won:  64

I don't feel Christians should consume "entertainment" that has occult themes no matter how "innocently" they are presented. 

Well said Abby!o

It is true there are some questionable things C.S.  Lewis has said, I  have discovered,  but I still like many of the things he wrote and he was a professing christian albeit I think not all his theology was right ( I only say that because I read something I disagree with in regards to praying for the dead).   I have a cold and my head is foggy if I made a mistake here sorry!  I think I will reread his books and look more closely one day but not the Narnia books as they don't even interest me. 

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

One of the issues is that the theology of our age appears to have stripmined the supernatural from out of our teachings. Such as the Augustine and seminary ideas that Gen 6 is to be viewed as the 'sons of Seth' idea. Totally wrong yet pervasive and substitutes error for talking about sinning Holy Ones. (the watchers)

Psalm 82 and Deut 32 worldview is the pivotal data for understanding most every part of the scriptures.

The Divine Council worldview of Deut. 32 makes sense of all the rest of scripture. We need to be taught this well and Dr. Michael Heiser has spearheaded this little realized topic. If the church were better informed about all this then we would recognize evil so much more readily. Most folk do not even know why we do certain things in church. Way too much ignorance and lack of understanding.

Edited by Justin Adams

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

16 minutes ago, Amanda Frances said:

People have to make up their own minds but sometimes it is hard to decide.  But that children's book is a no brainer bad book.

I think yes, PARENTS need to be protective of the children, that is our job, our charge. Now, I do not want to distract from the focus of the book in question, or the related (yet different) topics of Tolkien, Lewis, and Rawlings.

Now it seems to me that it is a now brainer, that no thinking Christian is going to endorse a fictional book about demons, if that is what it is, for their children.

Now, I happened to have raised my kids and allowed them access to Tolkien, Lewis, and Rawlings. Now to be fair, they also saw Disney cartoons. How much dark magic and spells are in those? Plenty. How much is single parent raising of children (usually girls), normalized? Good grief, Snow White lived with 7 men! That is not a problem?

Ever notice how much violence is in other cartoons? I grew up with Road Runner, Speedy Gonzales (who sunf a song about a little cockroach (La Cucaracha):

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
Ya no puede caminar
Porque no tiene
porque le falta
Marihuana par fumar

The cockroach, the cockroach
can no longer walk
because he doesn't have
because is missing
marijuana to smoke

While we are at it, witchcraft and demons, magic, etc, are not the only things to be concerned about. Did you know that some parents let their kids play Monopoly, where greed is rewarded?

What else do we teach them? Do were give then rewards in the form of sweets? Let me show you that I approve of your behavior at the moment, instead of telling you or showing that I approve, or telling you I love you, or just thinking you for a job well done, here have a chocolate ship cooking, to help guide you in your future life's decisions! You can thank me later when you are obese, diabetic, have high blood pressure, etc. because I did not love you enough to teach you self-discipline in food choices, or instructed you in the proper care of God's temple, your body.

What about the example we set as adults. What movies do we allow the kids to watch with us. We are setting examples. Do we watch movies and programs with violence, or sexual implications, swearing and the like. I am guilty!

I think if we want to go down the road about what we allow our children, we should be honest enough to look at our own shortcomings. As a parent, in hindsight, I could have done a lot better. I will say thought, that my kids understood the different between make believe and reality. The understood that there is real evil in the world, that is not "pretend" and there are temptations and attraction to participate in such things.

We do need to make decisions and how we raise our did, what we model, etc. They should be thought about, and we should understand that we are accountable to God for how we are/were as parents.

And whoever shall cause to stumble one of these of the little ones believing in Me, it is better for him that a heavy millstone should be hung around his neck, and he be sunk in the depth of the sea.

4 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

While we are at it, witchcraft and demons, magic, etc, are not the only things to be concerned about. Did you know that some parents let their kids play Monopoly, where greed is rewarded?

Still reading but this made me lol

It just is a wake up warning sign that this book is being sold to give to kids.   Times are a changing.

After reading Ome's post, I will say most everyone   knows we are reading a book or watching a movie and whether it is ficiton or non fiction.   But the question is influence that maybe we do not estimate at that time.  Also, we know the story of the frog who is swimming in water and and it get's hotter and hotter but the slow moving upward temperature keeps the frog in hot water too long till it's too late to move.  

I am guilty of the same things, Disney, and the books.   But now I think "What was I thinking?" 

What fellowship has light with darkness?  

Is it the worst thing is it the only bad thing?   No, but this is the thing today the book I heard about, that  came into my knowledge, and I want to share that so people are aware of what is going on and that even younger kids are being targeted even more by the evil one.

3 minutes ago, Abby-Joy said:
yeah.... especially that "chocolate ship cooking"giggle-chuckle-laugh-2.jpg.e2ac6349ea6e1627dbe3a81e512c50fa.jpg

Typos can be fun :)

• Haha 1

I never thought of the Barbies need to think about that.

Did not know that about Star Wars if I did I forgot.  

Is it because of the Dark side do you think?

Wow what a world we live in.  One day all will be made right! 

I agree the Church should take a stronger stance with this! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see what you are  saying how that would be so hard in those cases.  

The body of Christ needs to be equipped.  That's why I am thankful for this site!  We can talk about things going on like the book and we can share the good things the Lord is doing and pray for each other and our needs and warn where needed.  

• Thumbs Up 1