IGNORED

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?s in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

Daniel Marsh

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  126
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.57
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/15/1956

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

Philip had 4 virgin daughters who prophesied - I think Agabus was a NT prophet, non-apostle - that's 5 non-apostles who apparently taught by Holy Spirit because they prophesied. Agabus correctly prophesied a famine, and also that Paul would be bound if he went to Jerusalem.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  9,607
  • Content Per Day:  3.93
  • Days Won:  21

23 minutes ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Can you find any examples in the New Testament where the Holy Spirit taught someone directly who was not an Apostle?

Cornelius maybe...?  Oops, they got the Spirit - better baptize them then!!

• Haha 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.46
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

This question might infer or maybe presuppose that the 'Paraclete' was only given to benefit the apostles of the early church.

Does the original poster, mean only the 12, or does he mean any other 'sent ones' or run of the mill 'sons of God'?

:-)

• Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Episcopius said:

Philip had 4 virgin daughters who prophesied - I think Agabus was a NT prophet, non-apostle - that's 5 non-apostles who apparently taught by Holy Spirit because they prophesied. Agabus correctly prophesied a famine, and also that Paul would be bound if he went to Jerusalem.

There is a difference between being taught by the Holy Spirit and Prophecy correct?

24 minutes ago, Alive said:

This question might infer or maybe presuppose that the 'Paraclete' was only given to benefit the apostles of the early church.

Does the original poster, mean only the 12, or does he mean any other 'sent ones' or run of the mill 'sons of God'?

:-)

1 Corinthians 2:13 King James Version (KJV)
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

It would include Paul as an Apostle.   The Holy Spirit is given for the benefit of all Christians.    What I am exploring with the OP is direct teaching only to the Apostles or did someone else in the NT was directly taught?    After all, teaching is one of the gifts.     I guess a quote from someone who says the Holy Spirit taught him or her something that is not made known elsewhere in the NT would be proof. 

I did look at some of the proof texts at page 13 of 

I know I was taught that only the Apostles were taught directly by the Holy Spirit.    So, it seems like a good idea to examine that.   I am a fallible  carbon lifeform. 

To try to make my question more precise.

Looking for examples, where someone says the Holy Spirit taught them something.    I am sure the Holy Spirit guided people and empowered people.    Bringing something back to remembrance, would be the disciples whom Jesus taught. 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,743
  • Content Per Day:  5.05
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

1 hour ago, Daniel Marsh said:

Luke 1:39-56 English Standard Version (ESV)

Mary Visits Elizabeth

In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah,  and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit,  and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!  And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?  For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.  And blessed is she who believed that there would be[a] a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”

Mary's Song of Praise: The Magnificat

And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord,  and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Luke 1:39-56 English Standard Version (ESV)

Mary Visits Elizabeth

In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah,  and she entered the house of Zechariah and greeted Elizabeth. And when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, the baby leaped in her womb. And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit,  and she exclaimed with a loud cry, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!  And why is this granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?  For behold, when the sound of your greeting came to my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.  And blessed is she who believed that there would be[a] a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord.”

Mary's Song of Praise: The Magnificat

And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord,  and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked on the humble estate of his servant.

I do agree that Elizabeth was filled with the HS.    But,  I don't see in the text where it says She was taught directly by the Holy Spirit.   We know that people can be inspired and empowered by the Holy Spirit,  but their words or way of expressing is their own.

An interesting discussion as a sub topic would be mechanics of prophecy.     Let's learn together --- I am only a fallible person.

2 Peter 1:19-21 J.B. Phillips New Testament (PHILLIPS)
18-19 We actually heard that voice speaking from Heaven while we were with him on the sacred mountain. The word of prophecy was fulfilled in our hearing! You should give that word your closest attention, for it shines like a lamp amidst all the dirt and darkness of the world, until the day dawns, and the morning star rises in your hearts.

False prophets will flourish, but only for a time
20-21 But you must understand this at the outset, that no prophecy of scripture arose from an individual’s interpretation of the truth. No prophecy came because a man wanted it to: men of God spoke because they were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:19-21 English Standard Version (ESV)
19 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts, 20 knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1:19-21 Good News Translation (GNT)
19 So we are even more confident of the message proclaimed by the prophets. You will do well to pay attention to it, because it is like a lamp shining in a dark place until the Day dawns and the light of the morning star shines in your hearts. 20 Above all else, however, remember that none of us can explain by ourselves a prophecy in the Scriptures. 21 For no prophetic message ever came just from the human will, but people were under the control of the Holy Spirit as they spoke the message that came from God.

Aside:   We do know that demons in cults like Islam, Latter Day Saints, Occult automatic writing uses dictation.    I am not saying this relates directly to Christians.   Just something to be aware of.

When the HS taught the apostles was it always by means of prophecy?