• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  679
  • Topics Per Day:  0.36
  • Content Count:  1,327
  • Content Per Day:  0.70
  • Days Won:  0

12 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

I don’t know if it’s a good comparison or not. It’s hard to come up with good examples for something that should be so straightforward. It’s like arguing with a kid about why they shouldn’t play with matches and then having someone step forward with statistics of how many people actually die from playing with matches. Or when parents teach their kids about the dangers of vaping and the kids argue  that lots of kids vape without an issue.

The hospitals can’t handle the number of people coming in for treatment. Have you ever heard them say that regarding car accidents? I believe that’s what you compared this too.

We got news of another Christian death today, an elder in a church of a close family friend.  Perhaps I should quote statistics to comfort them.

God bless you brother. I was just meditating on 1 Corinthians 13 and having patience so I’m going to get off the Internet before I mess up.

You patronize and then say God bless you brother.... seems strange. Anyway, analogy of matches still doesn't apply, try harder. In regards to hospitals not handling the people coming in for treatment, during the flu season of 2018 - 2019  it is estimated that there were 647,000 hospitalized from the flu, 62,200 died. But the CDC had actually predicted and estimated 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 to be hospitalized and 79,400 deaths, so they were a little off.

Thus far this year for the corona virus there have been in our country 214,461 reported cases. Deaths (irregardless of age and other factors) listed as 4841. Still a recovery rate of 98 percent.  The added sickness added to all the other illnesses, accidents, etc.. all put a strain on hospitals but its not just due to the corona virus. By last estimate (yes, another statistic) there are approximately 745,785  beds in our country's hospitals.

By the way, your reference that you should perhaps quote statistics to comfort a family who has lost a loved one is insulting and uncalled for. I am simply showing there is not need for the fear and panic so many are showing and that there are a lot of lies and exaggerations being told. Death will occur and does occur everyday and my heart goes out for those who suffer and die but to have such an abnormal fear of one sickness is greatly misguided.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  168
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  11/18/2000

3 hours ago, Gershom_young said:

People just have to toughen up. If I call the coronavirus a hoax and I die because I believe it's a hoax and it's really not, well, that's survival of the fittest. But I'm pretty sure I'm right. And my engineer says your bridge is okay, too. Just don't drive too many trucks over it at once! ;-)

If you contract it you could spread it to others. A lack of care puts others at risk. And I don't think your personal engineer really holds up to the CDC, WHO, and virtually every other health organization out there. Your "survival of the fittest" could kill others, not just yourself.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53

3 hours ago, Tigger56 said:

You patronize and then say God bless you brother.... seems strange. Anyway, analogy of matches still doesn't apply, try harder. In regards to hospitals not handling the people coming in for treatment, during the flu season of 2018 - 2019  it is estimated that there were 647,000 hospitalized from the flu, 62,200 died. But the CDC had actually predicted and estimated 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 to be hospitalized and 79,400 deaths, so they were a little off.

Thus far this year for the corona virus there have been in our country 214,461 reported cases. Deaths (irregardless of age and other factors) listed as 4841. Still a recovery rate of 98 percent.  The added sickness added to all the other illnesses, accidents, etc.. all put a strain on hospitals but its not just due to the corona virus. By last estimate (yes, another statistic) there are approximately 745,785  beds in our country's hospitals.

By the way, your reference that you should perhaps quote statistics to comfort a family who has lost a loved one is insulting and uncalled for. I am simply showing there is not need for the fear and panic so many are showing and that there are a lot of lies and exaggerations being told. Death will occur and does occur everyday and my heart goes out for those who suffer and die but to have such an abnormal fear of one sickness is greatly misguided.

I’m sorry that I was condescending

I find your quoting statistics  insensitive. However,  I think you worked in an industry (Insurance?)where statistics matters a lot, so you are seeing things through that lens and I understand that now.

The original poster knows the stats. They are repeated every single day, yet she is still fearful. 
My friend is a nurse at a hospital ten minutes from my home and she is petrified! I don’t think she is scared because she is watching media hype. I don’t think statistics will calm her fears.She is afraid because the hospital is experiencing something they have never experienced before and it’s happening all over the country. There are too many people sick and dying and they don’t have the resources to handle many more. 

They are anticipating 100k lives lost or more. At first glance that sounds crazy. I hope that’s not true.  But if you think about it, New York has already lost over two thousand people and they are not done yet. If every state loses 2000, that is 100k. It could be much more than that. Hopefully it will be less. It could be me or people in my family.It could be anyone. No one wants to be part of the statistics you are quoting.

And it’s not just about deaths. There is a lot of human suffering going on. A lot of psychological trauma taking place. People are having their faith shook as they witness people in the church getting sick overnight and dying within two weeks. you can’t even be with your loved one when they die.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,227
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

4 hours ago, ReneeIW said:

Still a recovery rate of 98 percent. 

How can you say that when 200,000 of them are still sick and we don't know if they will live or die....    you need to study your statistics a bit deeper.   If you want to talk about a death rate at this point in time you have to look at the number of people who have recovered and those who have died and you will find that 36% of those are dead....   and if that continues think about how many of those 200,000 that are still sick may die....

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.53

4 minutes ago, other one said:

How can you say that when 200,000 of them are still sick and we don't know if they will live or die....    you need to study your statistics a bit deeper.   If you want to talk about a death rate at this point in time you have to look at the number of people who have recovered and those who have died and you will find that 36% of those are dead....   and if that continues think about how many of those 200,000 that are still sick may die....

Dude if I said that then I apologize. I agree with you. I’m a bit sleep deprived so just ignore anything stupid that comes out of my mouth. 
I appreciate your wisdom.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Content Count:  32,932
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Numbers can be scary but EVERY SINGLE DEATH is a sorrow for those that have to deal with it , those that mourn for the lost and those that die without Christ Throwing around numbers and statistics doesn't help those living in fear or those needing comfort in their loss  Praying for comfort and safety for all who are going through this time :th_praying:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  109

21 hours ago, Clipper said:

If you contract it you could spread it to others. A lack of care puts others at risk.

It is my view that this thinking is from man, not from God. In the bible, they had contagious diseases (e.g. leprosy), and were one to catch leprosy, God's command was that the leprous one was to be isolated from the community. I agree, it would be somewhat selfish to go out into the community, were I suffering from a deadly, contagious disease, such as leprousy (or even this "killer-cold", if it really is a killer).

However, note that God does not ever say that the entire community must go into hiding (except for the Passover when He sent the plague on the firstborn), nor does He state that those going about their ordinary business and who are healthy are ever guilty of putting others at risk. I don't believe you can find a biblical basis for such behaviour resulting in blood-guilt for the death of others, and therefore, believe that to claim so fits into a worldly way of thinking, rather than a Godly way.

21 hours ago, Clipper said:

And I don't think your personal engineer really holds up to the CDC, WHO, and virtually every other health organization out there. Your "survival of the fittest" could kill others, not just yourself.

Ever heard of Andrew Wakefield? A doctor worth more than the CDC, WHO and virtually every other health organisation out there when it comes to the dangers of vaccination. An individual who speaks the truth is more reliable than 10 organisations filled with yes-men.

Edited by Gershom_young
Additional response

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  540
  • Content Count:  32,932
  • Content Per Day:  5.04
  • Days Won:  232
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

so please tell me how you know you don't have it since the symptoms don't show up straight away and people can easily carry it without feeling particularly ill themselves My grand daughter was being treated for a severe migraine and "altitude sickness " till the blood tests revealed what was really wrong and at the time they took 10 days to come back 

10 minutes ago, Godismyloveforever said:

Leprosy is contagious but is considered to be only mildly contagious. However, acquisition of the disease usually occurs after long-term (months to years) contact with an untreated individual with the disease.

And yet God thought coronavirus unworthy to rate a mention. I therefore propose that we treat coronavirus with the insignificance it deserves.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Godismyloveforever said:

Ok. A disease that has only been in existence for less than a year is not important because it is not mentioned in the Bible. 

Trolling posts are definitely insignificant. 

End.

Do you think that the guidance God provided for His people on controlling disease was insufficient? Do you think that this disease is something new under the sun? (Ecclesiastes 1:9)

It saddens me that you have reasoned that mine was a trolling post, but this may be due to cognitive dissonance, which causes one to reject anything not within one's own paradigm (e.g. anything which does not resonate with the news presented on television).

There is no need to discourse if you continue to presume I am trolling, but I am not.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1