• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,727
  • Content Per Day:  1.03
  • Days Won:  5

On 5/30/2020 at 2:50 AM, Deeplytroubled said:

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. Matthew 12:40 NIV 

It's something my muslim friend brought up about a possible unfulfilled prophecy by Jesus. At this time last night I didn't provide an answer and I wasn't Not happy with it but know that there is a clear explanation. So i'm hoping someone can lead me to scripture that answers this. Please and thank you. 

Hi Deeplytroubled

If I was that friend of yours, I would of asked why there was a contradiction between Jonah being in the whale for 3 days and 3 nights signifying Jesus death.....when the scriptures say that Jesus rose on the 3rd day? 

There's a night missing right? - the third night?

Mark 9:31   For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

??????

What may seem like a contradiction, is in fact not, but perfect harmony.

When Jesus was in the "heart of the earth" for three days and three nights, it began from his "capture", not his death.

1. Jesus was captured on a Thursday night

2. Jesus killed on Friday afternoon (before start of Sabbath at sundown)

3. Jesus in the grave Fri night

4. Jesus in the grave on Sat night

5. Jesus rose on Sun morning

so;

Thurs, Friday, & Saturday nights - Jesus is bound my men and death under no sun (3 nights)

Friday, Saturday & Sunday - Jesus is bound by men and death under the sun  (3 days)

Jesus died on a Friday and rose on the Sunday (on the third day) which is the first day of the week.

The truth of this is in the scriptures.  There are clues all over the place.  I've checked it all out, anyone can do the same. 

The KEY is that Jesus was risen on the first day of the week which is a Sunday.  The Sabbath is the 7th day of the week in Jewish calendar, (Sat) but starts sundown on a Friday evening and goes all the way through Saturday. Sabbath had already ended when Jesus rose on Sunday morning the FIRST day of the WEEK.

Matthew 28:1   In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

Matthew 28:5   And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.

Matthew 28:6   He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

The truth is so simple, but is made complicated because many are trying to fit in Jesus being dead for 3 days and 3 nights.  He wasn’t dead for three days and three nights, because the Son of Man being "in the 'heart of the earth' was not signifying how many days Jesus was dead for, but from his "capture" of men, to his rising.  The heart of the earth is wickedness.  It hates light.  That light that comes from Jesus.  TRUTH. The moment Jesus was captured, it was as if the earth swallowed him up - and was likened to Jonah being in the belly of the whale for that same amount of time.

He was only dead for 2 nights, and rose the 3rd day as the scriptures attest.  I hope you can get something good out of this and tell your friend he asked the wrong question, and that your bible is true and reliable.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  909
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,656
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 5/29/2020 at 3:30 PM, Deeplytroubled said:

Well he's placing more attention on the 3 days AND 3 NIGHTS part  Then went on about it being an unfulfilled prophecy by Jesus himself.

We both agreed that he died on Friday, it was my mistake I'm just getting back to scripture myself. But I told him I know there's an answer to it and would be more versed in it when we talk later..today hopefully.

I just watched a video however, with the help of scripture..pointing to being crucified om Wednesday. Still going through it rn, i'll get it.. 

Ah, this is majoring in the minors, or in what is a traditionally misunderstood detail in the Bible.

Remember first of all that the Jewish / Hebrew day begins and ends at sunset.

Also the Muslims venerate Friday as their sabbath of sorts. So they would readily accept the Roman

Catholic tradition that the crucifixion occurred on the 6th day (Friday). 

I've heard scholars try and try to explain Friday afternoon at 3 PM to sunrise Sunday morning as

"Three days and three nights" (72 hours) in the 27 hour time frame a Friday to Sunday entombment would be

and they obviously came up wanting.

The Gospel references to the Sabbath and preparation days are what threw off Roman translators who did not realize

Passover is a sabbath and has a day of preparation (sometimes called Galilean Passover or Galilean Seder) which stemmed from

a dispute among Hebrew scholars as to when Passover Seder should occur: 14 Nisan or 15 Nisan ← combined with the feast of unleavened bread.

Having both also helped with crowd control in the Holy City (which is, was, and ever shall be Jerusalem) having essentially the poor folks' Seder 

at sunset 14 Nisan while the official Seder is at sunset 15 Nisan.

Official Seder (15 Nisan) ← the night after the crucifixion  could have been on Friday or as some suggest it could even have been on Thursday

(with a Wednesday crucifixion). ← that would meant the resurrection took place on the Sabbath or "between the eves" of Saturday and Sunday

and that it was discovered to have already happened on the first day of the week.  72 hours.

My personal opinion / belief is that Galilean Seder which Jesus kept with his disciples on 14 Nisan was at sunset Thursday. His arrest, trials, and beatings

went on through that night until daylight (still Thursday 14 Nisan on the Hebrew calendar) and he was crucified at the time of the Pascal Lamb being slaughtered for the

official Passover Seder the sunset following (15 Nisan).

In this way, Jesus could keep Passover Seder and be sacrificed as the slaughter of the ultimate Pascal Lamb before the official Passover Seder began. 

Thursday at 3 PM to sunrise Sunday = 63 hours, not the full 72 but  3 full nights and ON the 3rd day only 9 hours shy of a full 72 hours. 3 days 3 nights.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Well if any "friend" of mine told me that, i may just have to reconsider just what was/is the real motives of that person and the reason for that relationship? But would'nt count him as an enemy right away, even though according to 2Thess-3:14-15, if any "brother" disagree with those teachings of Paul or anyone else in the N.T., then we should no longer associate with them. But to be honest, this guy sounds more like an acquaintance to me, or at least should be.

But as far as the actual crucifixion day, i have heard some scholars point out that Passover was actually considered a "Sabbath" day, which is why it is called that in the Gospels? And Jesus was actually crucified on a Wednesday...which i also personally agree with.

Edited by CaptWalker

On 5/30/2020 at 4:30 AM, Deeplytroubled said:

Well he's placing more attention on the 3 days AND 3 NIGHTS part  Then went on about it being an unfulfilled prophecy by Jesus himself.

We both agreed that he died on Friday, it was my mistake I'm just getting back to scripture myself. But I told him I know there's an answer to it and would be more versed in it when we talk later..today hopefully.

I just watched a video however, with the help of scripture..pointing to being crucified om Wednesday. Still going through it rn, i'll get it.. 

Deeplytroubled

Sorry I didn't see this.

Your friend asked the right question.

It appears as a contradiction, but when understood it's not.

See my reply.

• Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

On 5/30/2020 at 1:50 AM, Deeplytroubled said:

So i'm hoping someone can lead me to scripture that answers this. Please and thank you. 

23 minutes ago, R. Hartono said:

Jesus rose on the third day. There's enough proof of that.  That's only two nights in the grave.  He rose in the Morning on the FIRST day of the WEEK.  The first day of the week is Sunday.  It's that simple.  Three days and three nights started from -his capture likened to being in the belly of the whale.

Acts 13:35   Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Matthew 17:23   And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Matthew 20:19   And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Mark 9:31   For he taught his disciples, and said unto them, The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

Luke 9:22   Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.

Acts 10:40   Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  0

On 5/29/2020 at 4:59 PM, Justin Adams said:

Yeshua died on Wednesday Nisan 14. He rose on the eve of the Sabbath that week, the 17th Nisan. Exactly 72 hours in the tomb. Good friday thru sunday is a myth. Pleaes read and study the attached.

3 days 3nights.jpg

miatonsabbaton2.docUnavailable

I could not agree more. Wednesday PM was the 'high Sabbath'. People get that confused with the normal weekly Sabbath starting Friday PM. I never contest the tradition of saying Jesus was crucified on Friday, but like you, I am ready with the above answer that perfectly fits Jewish Sabbaths (plural), and the 3 days AND nights that Jesus said Must happen. Some Christians go to extreme lengths to rationalize Friday crucifixion but they mostly want to validate tradition instead of studying the most plausible explanation. I1 believe that there are other threads on Worthy forums that go into this more in detail.

Thank you for this post . . . Ray . . . 

• Thanks 1

• Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Sister said:

Jesus rose on the third day. There's enough proof of that.  That's only two nights in the grave.  He rose in the Morning on the FIRST day of the WEEK.  The first day of the week is Sunday.  It's that simple.  Three days and three nights started from -his capture likened to being in the belly of the whale.

Acts 13:35   Wherefore he saith also in another psalm, Thou shalt not suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Matthew 17:23   And they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Matthew 20:19   And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.

Luke 9:22   Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.

Acts 10:40   Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

You don't understand what is high shabbat.

6 hours ago, R. Hartono said:

You don't understand what is high shabbat.

R. Hartono

It doesn't matter if I understand the high Shabbat or not.  There's a Sabbath every single week.

What more proof do we need than that Jesus rose on the first day of the week - Sunday?

Why do we have to go outside the bible and listen to someone that's telling us not to trust our bibles?

Jesus rose on the 3rd day.

He died before his body saw corruption. 

Therefore he died on the friday, at about 3pm, and they had to make haste to get his body off the cross, and prepare him for burial, before Sabbath started sun down on that same day.

The scriptures are true.  Jesus himself said he would be raised on the third day.  The apostles attested to this.  I attest to it also, that what is written is true, but man wants to blame the bible for being interpreted wrong when it disagrees with their doctrine?  Man likes to take us far away from the scriptures, ...anywhere but the scriptures where there is truth.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,257
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

High holy days, like Saturdays, are days that people did not work and worshiped on.  Some days had feasts associated with them.  That week had the feast of unleavened bread together with Passover, and others as well like Feast of First fruits.   I understood that not all were high holy days with no work.  Jesus arose on first fruits when they could work and anoint Jesus body.  But it had disappeared!.  So the body had to be in the tomb before  sundown on the day he died, which was the beginning of the new high feast day.  Then Saturday was also a high feast day.  So He could have arisen any time after sun down on Saturday till before dawn Sunday morning remembering that Jewish days started at sundown the night before.

• Well Said! 1