Ervin P

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  154
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question that I believe is very important to me. Reason why is because I find it hard for me to preach to non Christians. One of the reasons is that since I am not all that a good Christian my self, I sort of feel like I need to be better, before I can correct/ preach to others. And I also get a bit shy, as in I get concerned with if they want to listen to it, etc.

What are others understanding of the question?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.95
  • Days Won:  21

3 minutes ago, Ervin P said:

I have a question that I believe is very important to me. Reason why is because I find it hard for me to preach to non Christians. One of the reasons is that since I am not all that a good Christian my self, I sort of feel like I need to be better, before I can correct/ preach to others. And I also get a bit shy, as in I get concerned with if they want to listen to it, etc.

I think our lives preach loudly what we are all about. Just simple conversations will provide avenues to explain what you live for and your worldview. The Lord will always give you an opening when, and if it is appropriate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.15

You can't convert anyone. . . only God can.

I don't think I've ever convinced anyone.

1) Atheist all want to vanish when they die and forget they had ever lived.

2) Most Jews don't believe in life after death= Atheists too.. so why believe in God at all?

3) Islam people think Allah is god without any proof.

4) Protestants all believe in Jesus, but they all agree Mary is not going to save anyone.

• Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

The Apostle addesses this very topic: 

How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them. And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news” (Romans 10:14-15) 

People need a preacher, and that is all of us Christians, we are called to make disciples (Matthew 28:19). We have all as the apostle says above been “sent” out into the world. 

No one can expect people to get the evagelion (gospel, good news) via osmosis or what is called “lifestyle evangelism.” Yes it is a witness when you live a holy life in Christ, but we must preach Christ, not only model Him to the lost. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

On 7/23/2020 at 8:42 AM, Ervin P said:

What do you mean by preach?

Stand up at work and give them a lecture/sermon?

Or do you mean to seek to live at work/college etc to a higher moral standard than those with you and to be willing to talk about Christianity and defend what and why you believe it?

Can you give a reason for what and why you believe?

Are you willing to look foolish before your mates, because when they catch you out doing what you shouldn't they will point it out!

Do you know the minimal facts for the resurrection?

If you don't start asking your minister why these things are not part of his regular preaching?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,222
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Birthday:  10/10/1947

On 7/23/2020 at 3:42 AM, Ervin P said:

I have attended many churches and heard many sermons.

Nearly all of them state the congregation has a duty to witness, preach and otherwise convey the gospel of Jesus Christ to a dying world.

Meanwhile the preacher has one hand on the Bible and the other in someone else's pocket.

Does not the Bible tell us there are many different gifts?  Some have the gift of creativity and can produce beautiful works of art to encourage the congregation and glorify Christ.  Some have the gift of teaching and use it to transmit the knowledge of the Bible to those who attend Bible studies.  Some are musical (I can't carry a note in a bucket.  Does that make me less a Christian?) Some folks have the ability to make money and to give more than a tithe of it to the glory of God, charity and the work of redemption of the community.

The pastor is usually expected to have endured formal education in religious studies so as to transmit useful information to the congregation.  Lately this has not been the case.  In far too many instances, Biblically illiterate preachers are vomiting rubbish to their listeners (usually to promote the religious franchise).  I actually heard one fellow admit during a sermon that he "preached happy talk to fill seats".

We are certainly called to bear witness to our salvation when called upon, but are each of us required to go out onto the street and hold forth the principles of the gospel?   We are not.

Ervin states that he's a bit shy about sharing certain aspects of his faith.   This is understandable because not everyone is a born salesman - like the preacher is supposed to be.

A good answer to this question is to seek God.  As in all things He will answer if we ask sincerely and honestly.  

Many times He doesn't give an answer that is compatible with the church's present diabolical mission of fleecing the flock.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by choir loft

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

Yes, 

He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.” (Mark 16:15) 

“How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them, And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news” (Romans 10:14-15) 

“We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.” (2 Corinthians 5:20) 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  441
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  03/20/1970

Just curious, if anyone has ever considered going to an inner city or downtown area of a major city and sitting on a bench or somewhere, with a small(or large) poster board sign with your favorite verse or one that "witnesses" to passersby...which could literally be hundreds of people depending on where you are and how long you planned on staying there? Just a suggestion, since "preaching" can come in other ways and isn't necessarily referring to someone talking incessantly or posting a thesis type reply on a forum such as this...  

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  300
  • Content Per Day:  0.18

One of the greatest saints who ever lived is St. Francis of Assissi, who once said, "Witness to everyone you meet, and if necessary, use words."

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  1.35
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

What is your desire? No one should be doing His work because you have to. And as the bother said..you life alone is a witness. So what do you want? Share whats in you. Talk about what He has done for you. If your not sure then seek pray and rejoice! He is for you not against you. The JOY of the lord is your strength and you have the peace of God and the peace Christ give. You are strong in the lord in the power of His might. You have the mind of Christ and you have the FULL armor of GOD.

People do not believe but.. there really is a LIGHT in us that people can SEE and wonder about and want. haha sorry.. made my self very HAPPY! PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS!