• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.10
  • Days Won:  4

Hello All,

My recent discussion activity here has been primarily focused on theology - frankly, because I believe it is more important than science. Don't get me wrong, as a Biology Professor, I believe science is extremely important, but I believe it pales in comparison to the importance of our spiritual lives right now and for eternity.

There have been several discussions recently that have suggested that a discussion on science would be a good idea. I'm going to call out a few people here that I believe could be interested in such a discussion - @David1701 @theElect777 @Tristan @The Barbarian @Deadworm @teddyv

Here is a capture of a comment on another thread.

image.png.137b0d75a7b546cb7d0df3316ac101b4.png

1. Genetic diversity in the modern human population

Ann Gauger of the Discovery Institute wrote about the genetic variability issue in a blog post recently.

https://anngauger.blog/2019/11/25/not-a-simple-question/

AJ Roberts of Reasons to Believe had a similar post, as well.

https://reasons.org/explore/blogs/theorems-theology/read/theorems-theology/2020/01/16/mosaic-eve-mother-of-all-(part-1)

The bottom line is this. The best modeling we have available for the age of a single ancestral pair is about 500,000 years ago. Obviously, this isn't consistent with a view of Genesis that holds to a single pair (Adam and Eve) as sole progenitors of humanity about 6,000-10,000 years ago. Some faithful Christians in science prefer a view of an Adam and Eve at a much more distant time in the past, and others suggest the possibility of Adam and Eve as a single, specially-created pair in that 6-10 kya timeframe, but amid other biological humans.

2. Radiometric dating

Some types of radiometric dating (like 14C) can be checked with other dating methods like ice cores, lake varves, and others. 

https://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2018/PSCF6-18Davidson.pdf

Other isotopes with much longer half-lives that are used for things like dating rock samples (potassium/argon, rubidium/strontium, etc) can be verified against one another. Remember that ICR spend about $2 million on the RATE project and arrived at the conclusion that radioactive decay rates must have been orders of magnitude in the past, but without evidence to support this hypothesis. (https://www.asa3.org/ASA/education/origins/rate-ri.htm)

• Thumbs Up 2

Guest theElect777

As long as we do not settle on terms of energy, time travel, memory lapse, and current existence is not literal then I am up for any discussion.   

Guest theElect777

For those reading and not aware, there are some within the Science Community that believe human beings are reliving moments that have already happened.   And even though the Calendar shows a new month, day, year it's only but a memory of the past.   That we're now existing as pure energy possibly 10 million years from now.   I am at a loss about why Science would even put effort into such malarkey.

Edited by theElect777

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

30 minutes ago, theElect777 said:

For those reading and not aware, there are some within the Science Community that believe human beings are reliving moments that have already happened.   And even though the Calendar shows a new month, day, year it's only but a memory of the past.   That we're now existing as pure energy possibly 10 million years from now.   I am at a loss about why Science would even put effort into such malarkey.

This reminds me a little of "Boltzmann Brains".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

@Marathoner @Tristen - come on over for some scientific discussion. I mistakenly sent to "Tristan" earlier.

3 hours ago, theElect777 said:

I am at a loss about why Science would even put effort into such malarkey.

President Trump is taking COVID advice from a doctor that claims alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments. Unfortunately, malarkey can show up anywhere if you look hard enough. The scientific community is certainly not immune.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Oy Vey! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

29 minutes ago, one.opinion said:

President Trump is taking COVID advice from a doctor that claims alien DNA is currently used in medical treatments. Unfortunately, malarkey can show up anywhere if you look hard enough. The scientific community is certainly not immune.

considering my contact with the dark side in the 70's, i would not discount her out so easily....     understand that the aliens she is speaking mainly are manifest fallen angels.....   she's not so bright in telling the whole world about it right now though.   we'll all know about them soon.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.55
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, one.opinion said:

I was tempted to check the calendar, in case it's the 1st of April...

Alien DNA used in medical treatments??? :th_frusty:

1 minute ago, David1701 said:

I was tempted to check the calendar, in case it's the 1st of April...

Alien DNA used in medical treatments??? :th_frusty:

I sure wish it was a joke :-(

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,143
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

Thank you for the invitation, @one.opinion. Radiometric dating techniques are diverse and rely upon exhaustive stratigraphical surveys to establish baselines of geological age; these are cross-referenced and subjected to the peer-review process so when a reputable source provides an approximate geological age, we can be assured that the measurement in question has been slapped around, poo-pahed, kicked while down, and otherwise subjected to multiple assassination attempts. The overarching goal of the peer-review process is to prove all things false! :D

The radiometric dating of organic material has always posed a challenge to the scientist; measuring the carbon 14 (c14) isotope is the only reliable means by which human remains may be temporally established in the geological record. Some crazy anthropologists proposed subjecting human dentition (teeth) to thermoluminescence dating, a technique which measures radiation contained within crystalline minerals in order to determine the geological date when the material in question was heated/exposed to sunlight. Superb when dealing with rocks, questionable where our teeth are concerned. ;)

In light of the forum's policy with regard to videos I'll furnish a link to a safe website (it passes my anti-virus software) which will help the curious understand how the radiometric measurement of the carbon 14 isotope, aka carbon 14 dating, works. 

https://www.radiocarbon.com/about-carbon-dating.htm

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1