• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,591
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

On 8/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, Deadworm said:

In my view, the best of contemporary praise choruses are more enjoyable and conducive to worship than the best of the old hymns.  But the lyrics of the typical praise chorus are typically theologically shallow and far too repetitive. 

Shalom, Deadworm.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!! Thank you for that assessment! As a kid, I can remember all the choruses that we sang in Sunday School and at the Youth Rallies and at the Youth Camps, and they were FAR MORE MEMORABLE than the old hymns. Sometimes, one had to learn the English language of the time in which the hymns were written, really to appreciate them.

And, you are absolutely right about the words of songs being written now being far too repetitive. It reminds me of the chants at political rallies in that they are designed likewise to induce or excite the listeners to some desired emotional state rather than to give them meaningful teaching.

If, for instance, I'm going to vote for a candidate, I want to know the candidate's position on a number of issues rather than to which political party he or she belongs!

In singing, I'd rather sing a long ballad rather than some repetitive nonsense that just says "Hallelujah" over and over again!

Oh, and for the record, the Hebrew word "Hallelu-Yah" means "to praise Yah," which is a shortened, poetic form of YHWH, the NAME of God. It's the same as the phrase "Hallelu et YHWH" in which the command is followed by the "et" which means the next word is the direct object, and THEN the Name is used. And, for the careful attitude toward the Name, "ADONAI," all in caps in English, is substituted for the Name. Thus, one might hear the phrase, "Hallelu et ADONAI," which means the same thing as the single word, "Hallelu-Yah."

And, in each one of these command forms, it is indeed a command to another "to praise Yah." However, "praise" is defined as ...

praise | prāz | 

verb [with object] 
express warm approval or admiration ofwe can't praise Chris enough—he did a brilliant job
• express one's respect and gratitude toward (a deity), especially in song: we praise God for past blessings. 

noun 
the expression of approval or admiration for someone or somethingthe audience was full of praise for the whole production
• the expression of respect and gratitude as an act of worship: give praise to God

PHRASES 

praise be 
archaic used as an expression of relief, joy, or gratitude“How is your sister?” “On the mend, praise be.”
sing the praises of express enthusiastic approval or admiration of (someone or something): Uncle Felix never stopped singing her praises

DERIVATIVES 

praiseful | -fəl | 
adjective 

praiser 
noun 

ORIGIN 
Middle English (also in the sense ‘set a price on, attach value to’): from Old French preisier ‘to prize, praise’, from late Latin pretiare, from Latin pretium ‘price’. Compare with prize1.

It means NOTHING without a hearer! We are told "to praise God," but we must boast and brag on God TO OTHERS! We are making God valuable to others by acknowledging the wonders He has performed for us! So, to say, "Praise the Lord" or "Hallelujah" or "Praise God," are ALL commands for OTHERS to brag on God!

It doesn't do the job for US to brag on Him to no one! So, tell someone else all the amazing ways that He has done good things for you!

On 8/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, Deadworm said:

The best way is to project the lyrics on a screen against a background of ever changing beautiful scenery.

I love the true story of the pastor who introduced a new hymn to his congregation, enraging members who thought that melody was a godless bar tune.  That hymn was "What a Friend We Have in Jesus!"  The worst policy is to insist: "We mustn't entertain with the Gospel!"  If I really enjoy the rhythm and beat of Christian music, my spirit soars and I can worship more intensely and fully.  We need the foot-stomping, hand-clapping hymns and praise choruses.

Well, technically speaking, "to worship" means "to bend the knee; to bow down," but I know what you mean.

My favorite song growing up was "Victory in Jesus!" To me, the words were right on the money and the music matched the words! His victory will lead to our victory, and although I would now sing, "Victory in Yeshua`," I still enjoy it.

I'll be honest: In my old age, I've turned a bit cynical. I listen carefully to the words of a song first. If the words don't match what I know about the Scriptures, then the best I can do is "enjoy" the music with a grain of salt. The only time I can relax and REALLY ENJOY the music is when the words agree with Scripture.