• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,678
  • Content Per Day:  5.76
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

There is a Dylan quote for every situation.

Paul Simon wrote a song where he mentions Dylan (Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine) 

I have often wondered if the jester in American Pie (Don Mclean) is Dylan

What do you think about Joan Baez imitating Dylan in here version of Simple Twist of Fate? 

Edited by Henry_iain
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  229
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  10,900
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  68
  • Birthday:  08/14/1954

4 hours ago, Episcopius said:

Worst book I ever bought - TARANTULA - but I had to have it cuz Dylan wrote it

I remember this coming out in publication but never had the opportunity to read it. That bad, eh? Now I'm even more intrigued to get a hold of a copy and make a point of checking it out. I'm not sure where my head was at this point in time and didn't know it was something Dylan authored.

As everyone knows, Bob never did a lot of interviews as it tended to annoy his intelligence. He didn't have enough patience and didn't appreciate his work being critiqued. Having few out in print made the mystique of Dylan even more intriguing. One would ask, "What is going on inside this brilliant mind?"

The Beatles and The Stones certainly knew Dylan was a genius.   

4 hours ago, Episcopius said:

Video clips - EAT THE DOCUMENT, sumpn else I can't remember - DON'T LOOK BACK?

I'm not sure if I saw this or not. TCM (Turner Classics Movie) channel aired what almost appeared to be an auto-documentary if one ever existed. Featured here were numerous clips of Bob hanging out at home in upstate New York, while the well knowns and nobodies from the press dropped in to pay Dylan a house-call. Joan Baez was probably the longest staying guest, being they were lovers at the time. They both took turns entertaining themselves and other people who dropped in. These were, Donovan, members of the Beatles, Phil Spector, Albert Grossman, Salvador Dali, Andy Warhol, others. A lot of celebrities of the day were in this.  

There was some concert footage shown from performances in the US and UK. It didn't have the boos and jeers scenes from "going electric" and fans then expressing discontent about leaving the Woody Guthrie, (oops! I'm giving clues to the quiz away) and spews at the British tabloid people for asking thick questions on Dylan's personal philosophies at that time. Some dull footage of Bob typing lyrics on a manual typewriter. Not all of it was exactly Oscar winning. Still, it was candid Bob stuff, so I cannot and will not bash it. It's Dylan! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I must say my sympathy tends to be with Dylan when it comes to books and interview. It's like asking an artist to tell you why he painted something. The artist is deliberately trying to communicate something too abstract for words. So you can't expect an artist to always explain their work. Even worse when they are trying to fit him into their boxes. He is one of those people who refuses to allow himself to be classified. And yet in some ways he is really just an ordinary guy. He is incredibly smart. And I suspect he often simply tells people whatever he needs to to get them off his back. Honestly, sometimes I think he's just having fun, like in World War 3 Blues. And then having to deal with a silly interviewer trying to read all kinds of nonsense into it all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Henry_iain said:

I have often wondered if the jester in American Pie (Don Mclean) is Dylan

I've wondered about that and a few other lines of American Pie myself. Don McLean did mention Mick Jagger in a few lines of this well played hit. Let's check these and see some further clues and obvious lines about the rock star legends that are mentioned here.  

American Pie

Don McLean
A long long time ago I can still remember how That music used to make me smile And I knew if I had my chance That I could make those people dance And maybe they'd be happy for a while But February made me shiver With every paper I'd deliver Bad news on the doorstep I couldn't take one more step I can't remember if I cried When I read about his widowed bride Something touched me deep inside The day the music died So Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye Singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die Did you write the <<book of love>> (doo-wop tune The Monotones) And do you have faith in God above If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock and roll? Can music save your mortal soul? And can you teach me how to dance real slow? Well, I know that you're in love with him 'Cause I saw you dancin' in the gym You both kicked off your shoes Man, I dig those rhythm and blues I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck With a pink carnation and a pickup truck But I knew I was out of luck The day the music died I started singin' Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye Singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die Now, for ten years we've been on our own And <<moss grows fat on a rolling stone>> (Bob Dylan tune?) But, that's not how it used to be <<When the jester sang for the king and queen>> (Bob Dylan performed in the UK?) In a coat he borrowed from <<James Dean>> (Obvious) And a voice that came from you and me Oh and while the king was looking down The jester stole his thorny crown The courtroom was adjourned No verdict was returned And while (John) <<Lennon>> read a book on (Karl) <<Marx>> <<The quartet>> (The Beatles) practiced in the park And we sang dirges in the dark The day the music died We were singin' Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye And singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die <<Helter skelter>> (Beatles tune) in a summer swelter The birds flew off with a fallout shelter <<Eight miles high>> (Byrds tune) and falling fast It landed foul on the grass The players tried for a forward pass With the <<jester>> (Dylan?) on the sidelines in a cast Now the half-time air was sweet perfume While <<sergeants played a marching tune>> (Sgt. Pepper/Beatles tune?) We all got up to dance Oh, but we never got the chance 'Cause the players tried to take the field The marching band refused to yield Do you recall what was revealed The day the music died? We started singin' Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye And singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die Oh, and there we were all in one place A generation lost in space With no time left to start again So come on <<Jack be nimble, Jack be quick Jack Flash>> (Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones tune) sat on a candlestick 'Cause fire is the devil's only friend Oh and as <<I watched him on the stage My hands were clenched in fists of rage No angel born in Hell Could break that Satan's spell And as the flames climbed high into the night To light the sacrificial rite I saw Satan laughing with delight>> (Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones in concert?) The day the music died He was singin' Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye Singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die <<I met a girl who sang the blues And I asked her for some happy news But she just smiled and turned away>> (Janis Joplin) I went down to the sacred store Where I'd heard the music years before But the man there said the music wouldn't play And in the streets the children screamed The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed But not a word was spoken The church bells all were broken <<And the three men I admire most The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost>> (Jesus/Trinity) They caught the last train for the coast The day the music died And they were singing Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry And them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye Singin' this'll be the day that I die This'll be the day that I die They were singing Bye, bye Miss American Pie Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye Singin' this'll be the day that I die

2 hours ago, Henry_iain said:

What do you think about Joan Baez imitating Dylan in here version of Simple Twist of Fate?

Was this when Baez toured in the Rolling Thunder Review with Dylan, The Band with Robbie Robertson, Joni Mitchell, and Ramblin' Jack Elliot? Joan came out in a rumpled hat, jacket, eyebrow penciled beard hair indications, and sang in the best impersonation of Dylan's voice she could muster? For a few moments the audience did think it was Bob. It was pretty convincing momentarily. 

Edited by BeauJangles
  • Loved it! 1

13 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

Was this when Baez came out in the Rolling Thunder Review with Dylan, The Band with Robbie Robertson, Joni Mitchell, and Ramblin' Jack Elliot? Joan came out in a rumpled hat, jacket, eyebrow penciled beard hair indications, and sang in the best impersonation of Dylan's voice she could muster? For a few moments the audience did think it was Bob. It was pretty convincing momentarily. 

I remember this yes. But she actually also did it on the recording of the song. Listen to these lines if you get her version somewhere. 

He woke up, the room was bare 

He didn't see her anywhere

He told himself he didn't care

Pushed the window open wide

Felt an emptiness inside 

To which he just could not relate

Brought on by a simple twist of fate

• Loved it! 1

29 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

American Pie

Don McLean

This took 25 minutes of re-editing, but I think everyone and song is pretty well mentioned here. Man, did this take some work! haha! It was a lot of fun in the effort though. 

WTG Beau! 2052246854_bravosmiley.gif.62952f1cad0c914b30c0c364ddbed61d.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

44 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

American Pie

Don McLean

Make that 40 + minutes... I missed Janis Joplin?

44 minutes ago, BeauJangles said:

<<I met a girl who sang the blues And I asked her for some happy news But she just smiled and turned away>> (Janis Joplin)

Oh, dear... :b: I got it though. Hopefully that's it. Wow, what a song! 

Edited by BeauJangles

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  108
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Joan sang one verse in a Dylan-voice on Simple Twist...

Of course Bob was the Jester...

• Thumbs Up 2