IGNORED

Scientists can't possibly believe that the universe is millions or billions of years old, can they?

JacquelineDeane55

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

I mean, who in their right and sane mind would honestly believe anything like that? It betrays basic common sense and rational thought to say that the universe we live in is millions or billions of years old.

Besides, I thought that radio-carbon dating had been refuted as not a reliable dating method anyway.

My father is a proponent of Intelligent Design. I am not surprised that both of my parents are, they are born-again Bible-thumping saints in Christ. Dad says that the complexity of DNA proves that an intelligent mind created all life on this planet. Things did not happen by random chance. I think this as well.

I say that intelligent design is far more likely than evolution is.  I never really did believe in evolution or believe in the sciences. Lack of interest I believe. Also science is not infallible like GOD is. Scientific papers have shown to disagree with one another, its hard to tell which ones are a lie.

What are some of the things that you guys believe?

Edited by JacquelineDeane55
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.08

Yeah I think that as well. Sad that not a whole lot of people will agree with that though, they might say that science has never proven GOD, yadda yadda yadda.

Actually, I think that science points to GOD, not away from HIM.

For instance, you will notice that this planet is specially tailored for life to appear and live upon it. This planet is special. Even the secular authorities have said they've noticed that.

Edited by JacquelineDeane55
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have known many scientists who are believers and say the more they learn about science the more they see God. 

You should search Nobel Prize winners in the sciences who believe in God.  The list is quite impressive. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  775
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,953
  • Content Per Day:  3.05
  • Days Won:  1

Bible doesnt explain how long it took after the creation of 1st Day, cud b Millions or simply a week

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

2 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

I mean, who in their right and sane mind would honestly believe anything like that? It betrays basic common sense and rational thought to say that the universe we live in is millions or billions of years old.

Besides, I thought that radio-carbon dating had been refuted as not a reliable dating method anyway.

My father is a proponent of Intelligent Design. I am not surprised that both of my parents are, they are born-again Bible-thumping saints in Christ. Dad says that the complexity of DNA proves that an intelligent mind created all life on this planet. Things did not happen by random chance. I think this as well.

I say that intelligent design is far more likely than evolution is.  I never really did believe in evolution or believe in the sciences. Lack of interest I believe. Also science is not infallible like GOD is. Scientific papers have shown to disagree with one another, its hard to tell which ones are a lie.

The biggest objection I have is with the big bang theory.  Once you make that hyper-jump past logic, you can go anywhere.

Ok, so at the beginning there is ... nothing. Zero. And somehow, out of nothing comes.... something. How do men of science look past this most obvious illogic mess  and swallow it as truth? Far better if they just said the universe had no beginning.  But the facts do not corroborate such a belief. So they are stuck with the big bang as their only alternative because the only other possibility is something.......or someone..... caused the universe to come into existence and they will avoid that one at all costs. 

What is that scripture about "....professing them to be wise, they became fools."? 

blessings, 

Gids

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  693
  • Content Per Day:  0.42

Radiometric dating may not be very reliable, but it is also the best method that they have.

Without getting too deep into the science behind it... all historical dating is based on some fundamental assumptions.  These assumptions must be made, in order for the results to have a meaning.   The problem is, the results fit the assumptions, which is circular.

I'll give you an example.  Carbon-Dating is based on Carbon 14.  C14 is assumed to be stable.   They assume that the amount of C14 is stable, on the assumption that C14 has reached equilibrium in the environment.   And they assume that it had reached equilibrium in the environment, because.... the Earth is millions of years old.

Now if you assume all this is true, then when you carbon date, you find that the data shows that bones are hundreds of thousands, or millions of years old.

But the basis that carbon-dating is based on, that makes it come up with long-age results... is the assumption that the earth is really old.

However, if you look at anything else, the evidence suggests that things are not that old.    For example the amount of dust on the Moon, should be hundreds of feet deep, if the moon has been collecting space dust for millions of years.

Or the fact the moon has been moving away from the Earth.  If you go back in time, the moon would have been touching the surface of the Earth a million years ago.

Or if you consider the magnetic core of the Earth has been degrading every single year.   If you go back a million years, the magnetic field should have been so strong, that it pulled the very iron in your blood, out of your body.

And there are hundreds of such examples.  Like comets shouldn't even exist.  They are balls of ice that are being melted away by the sun.   That's what the tales of a comet are.   Gasses burned off by the sun.

A few hundred thousand years, all the comets would have burned away.   This is why they have made up the existence of a the Oort Cloud... a magical unseen gas cloud somewhere, that all the comets are coming from.   Because they can't figure out how comets exist if the universe is billions of years old.   So magical mythical Oort Cloud is the how it works.

But my point to you is this... many scientists really do believe the Universe is billions of years old, and they believe in evolution, and so forth and so on, and based on their assumptions, the science they have supports their conclusion.

We of the Book, believe that G-d spoke the world into existence, and for me, he did it in 6 literal days.

It's that simple for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  1,177
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Yeah I think that as well. Sad that not a whole lot of people will agree with that though, they might say that science has never proven GOD, yadda yadda yadda.

Actually, I think that science points to GOD, not away from HIM.

For instance, you will notice that this planet is specially tailored for life to appear and live upon it. This planet is special. Even the secular authorities have said they've noticed that.

I live in East Tennessee, about 45 minutes from the Smoky Mountain National Park. The mountains start about 20 minutes from my house. When it gets cold in. winter, you can see clearly how tge temperature drops based upon elevation. 

10,000 ft elevation drops the temperature probably 20 degrees. We are 93 million miles from the sun. if we were 92,999, oo5 miles away, we would die from the heat. If we were 93,000,005  away, we would all mom and pop cicles, lol. 

It amazes me we can be so blind as  to think we could make living on Mars possible. We could 'exist' on Mars perhaps, but at what cost? Man is screwing up this amazing planet. If we would put the  money spent on weapons and space exploration into making this a sustainable place with no poverty,  we could do it.... if it were not for fallen natures whose favorite words are ME and MINE. 

It should be easy for people to see this, but as the Word tells, "Because they did not like to retain God in their knowledge...", the potential for greatness disappears in a flash. Thank God, He is going to fix this mess, but getting to that  point is going to bring many a tear. 

blessings, 

Gids

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,955
  • Content Per Day:  0.26

So yeah Science teaches that earth is billons years old (4.6 Billion to be exact) and man evolved from primordial soup.  What science teaches does not line up with word of God.  So don't put your faith in Man but God.  God says the wisdom of Man is foolishness.  

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

3 hours ago, JacquelineDeane55 said:

38 minutes ago, LonerAndy said:

Radiometric dating may not be very reliable, but it is also the best method that they have.

To be fair, radio carbon dating is not used for dating the age of the universe, it is only used for things that were once alive, and then only on parts of their actual living parts, not even for fossils (as in petrified or sediment replacement copies). It works on things like hair, skin, bones, teeth, wood - organic (carbon containing) stuff.

Even then, the practical limit is presumed to be on the order of no older than 50,000 years, more or less. Now, that still won't hold water with those who assume that the earth was created in 4004 B.C. and what not, but we do not need to broadcast the fact to our old earth friends that we are ignorant. When we are, perhaps we should do a little research before opening our mouths. I am sorry if that at all seems harsh.

Before embarking of discussions about cosmology, and evolution and the like, shouldn't we at least be informed about that it is that scientists actually believe? Just a thought!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1