• Topic Count:  1,265
  • Topics Per Day:  0.44
  • Content Count:  2,637
  • Content Per Day:  0.92
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/04/1972

How to Defend Jesus' Resurrection for a Skeptic

Letting Jesus use us to show Himself, as we can see below:

• Act 4:13  -> "But seeing the boldness of Peter and John, and perceiving that they were unlearned and uneducated men, they marveled. And they recognized them, that they had been with Jesus."

• 3 months later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.83
  • Birthday:  09/05/1962

On 11/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, RVKM said:

I don't believe in the resurrection because I don't think circular arguments are particularly compelling. You can't use the Bible to prove the claims of the Bible. You need actual evidence for your claims.

If Jesus were not resurrected as He said He would be, Christianity would have quickly died out.  In fact, He was seen by so many people after His resurrection that the Romans couldn't stop the growing numbers of believers.  Christians were cast to the lions for refusing to recant their claims of having seen Christ after His widely witnessed execution.  Yet, we don't know of any who did.  Would you do to your death defending a lie?  I doubt it.

Subsequent posters have listed the contemporaneous writings of the resurrection and its affect on those who, like Paul, were not previously believers.  Have you read them, or do you prefer to cover your eyes and claim you see no evidence?  

You will not get proof.  You can only come to Christ through faith, with his the acceptance of things unproven.  When God proves Himself to the world for the last time it will be too late.  If you will only believe when you have irrefutable proof, then you are, indeed, lost.

• 8 months later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  289
  • Content Per Day:  0.39

Have you actually defended the Gospel? Actually spent say, two hours debating with an atheist? I'll give you a defense that took place on a two hour flight from Chicago to Tampa. Including the surprise ending.   Setting:

Friday early afternoon, Chicago flight to Tampa. I noticed that the gate seemed a little unpopulated. Not uncommon, sometimes they appear like a stadium suddenly full of fans to a football or baseball game. Boarding announcement made, I go in and sit at my aisle seat with no one else on my row in the middle or window seat. Cabin door is being closed, I unbuckled the seat belt, lifted the are rest and slid to the middle seat. An answered prayer. I was at the end of the semester in a college course for an advanced degree. Because of the school I was getting my degree from .... I had a requirement of religious courses along the way. The course was "The Four Gospels" An answered prayer because it had been a difficult week, business meetings, dinners, late arrival at hotels ...I did not become satisfied with the amount of study time I had available. Push back from the gate, 10,000 feet, chime .....out comes the Bible, books, notes, tests everything needed for two uninterrupted hours of study. God has a way to tell you, you are more than prepared, let me show you. Across the aisle are three women in the row. The plane is half full ....odd for a plane from Chicago to Tampa in February on a Friday afternoon. The woman across the aisle says "Pardon me, Are you a Pastor?" Looking back, Had I been a pastor, I feel I would answer the same way ...."No, I am a student." "What are you studying?" "The Four Gospels." "Oh, all the contradictions." "Excuse me?" "The Bible is full of contradiction, including the Four Gospels." The debate is on. At one time I reached out and handed her my Bible. "For this discussion you need this far more than I do." I would tell her where to find the verses to dispute what she was claiming and then describe where she had been misinformed On we went. Two hours. We landed parked at the gate and stood to get out. She turned and said "You convinced me to go back to church." "Not just any church, a Bible preaching, Bible believing church and I encourage you to find a Bible study to delve into what the Pastor doesn't cover on Sundays." "I will do just that." She started down the aisle ..the other ladies close behind. A hand landed on my shoulder with a business card between his fingers. "If you have a problem with your Professor have him call me. The best defense of the Bible I've heard in a long time." CEO of Honeywell. I turned and said "Bob Pettigrew will be glad to hear I met you." "You know Bob?" "I work for him and Bob Beckwith. I'm one of their Regional Sales Managers." "Just be sure to have your professor call me. Nice to have met you." 

God's grace and humor doesn't end there. I have to move fast. My truck and I have to go across Tampa to the Ice Palace, meet my wife, have a quick dinner, then go to the Gaithers for the evening. It doesn't end there. Half way through the evening we always go out and mingle with the singers at their booths out of the foyer area. We are at the Gaither Booth, and the man behind the counter is asking questions and says "you might be interested in what David Phelps is about to introduce, before buying anything go and listen to his song right now. "The End of the Beginning"  Involving a plane trip and a debate with an unbeliever ..exactly what I jus experienced. ...As a top Tenor in the choir, I listened to the song and immediately bought the song for a Sunday  ......

I wear glasses. I can't wear glasses when I sing. If the congregation stands , I can't deal with that. No glasses and sing to the train .....the one spot light that blinds you. 

I hit the end of the song and ramped up "Three days later, Three days later, Three days Later ! He Rose! Three days later he rose! You see, he came, he lived, and he died and That was the end of the beginning." I never looked at a congregation that stood and cheered while the song was ending .....I started to leave the podium and was grabbed by the Pastor  ......"I cannot present a better message than what we just witnessed! I can't do it!" 

By the way ....as with all my exams ....I got an "A"  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

On 12/31/2020 at 7:00 PM, R. Hartono said:

We dont need to argue with peop!e or try to memorize arguments, just say the truth that Jesus has resurrected, full stop.

Its the job of Holy Spirit to open people's heart, not our job, we only need to share Gospel with love but without forcing people to believe.

Blessings RH

Couldn't agree more that it is only Holy Spirit that can soften the hardest of hearts that they may Receive....He Reveals God's Truth to the blind & the deaf

Personally I don't even think about what to say to anyone,I pray- I pray that I may be used & also that I know when His Word is NOT being Received

As they say " you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink"

We are to present God's Word but we cannot make anyone Receive.....

I don't believe God's Word needs defending.....Praise Jesus!

With love in Christ, Kwik

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

18 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings RH

Couldn't agree more that it is only Holy Spirit that can soften the hardest of hearts that they may Receive....He Reveals God's Truth to the blind & the deaf

Personally I don't even think about what to say to anyone,I pray- I pray that I may be used & also that I know when His Word is NOT being Received

As they say " you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink"

We are to present God's Word but we cannot make anyone Receive.....

I don't believe God's Word needs defending.....Praise Jesus!

With love in Christ, Kwik

Similer thougnt came to me, there is no need to defend the Word just present it. tis God that gives the increase.if no apparant interest move on.His Word never comes back void.

t entered my mind,no need to defend the Word just present it.if no takers move on

• Praise God! 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

It is true that our mission is to spread the gospel.

It is also true that it is the Spirit's job to open esay, ears, hearts, and to convict.

However, it is not as though 1 Pet 3 does not exist:

14 But even if you should suffer because of righteousness, you are blessed. “And you should not be afraid of their threats, neither should you be troubled.” 15 But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord, always ready for a defense to everyone asking you an account concerning the hope in you; yet with gentleness and fear, 16 having a good conscience, so that in the case that they might speak against you, those reviling your good manner of life in Christ, they shall be ashamed.

There is nothing wrong with doing your homework to be ready to provide reasons for your faith to those who ask. Apologetics is a subspecies of evangelism. 

To the early (in this thread) about quoteing the Bible to prove the Bible being circular reasoning, the Bible is on a book, it is a collection of books with different authors, places and times. Quoting one author to support another auto, is not circular reasoning, it is multi-source quote, and when you quote someone like Paul, who was an anti-Christian Jew who was closer in time, geography and circumstances, that testimony has more credibility than anyone now living!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

It is true that our mission is to spread the gospel.

It is also true that it is the Spirit's job to open esay, ears, hearts, and to convict.

However, it is not as though 1 Pet 3 does not exist:

14 But even if you should suffer because of righteousness, you are blessed. “And you should not be afraid of their threats, neither should you be troubled.” 15 But in your hearts sanctify Christ as Lord, always ready for a defense to everyone asking you an account concerning the hope in you; yet with gentleness and fear, 16 having a good conscience, so that in the case that they might speak against you, those reviling your good manner of life in Christ, they shall be ashamed.

There is nothing wrong with doing your homework to be ready to provide reasons for your faith to those who ask. Apologetics is a subspecies of evangelism. 

To the early (in this thread) about quoteing the Bible to prove the Bible being circular reasoning, the Bible is on a book, it is a collection of books with different authors, places and times. Quoting one author to support another auto, is not circular reasoning, it is multi-source quote, and when you quote someone like Paul, who was an anti-Christian Jew who was closer in time, geography and circumstances, that testimony has more credibility than anyone now living!

Blessings Omega...

Of course I agree with that" My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge" is what always comes to my mind whenever " study or homework" is mentioned since I was a kid.... My Dad was big on " education & learning" so you are well equipped to face the world .And studying the Word of God is the most important.

May I ask,what version you are quoting - I don't recall 1 Peter 3:15 reading"always ready for a defense" .... KJV Says " be ready to give an answer" & can't remember which version says" be ready to explain".   I'm wondering what the Greek word is,I'm a bit lazy right now ,it's like 1am,lol

Certainly not nit picking but I did say I do not believe God's Word does not need defending,however thats not really the context,the Word is actually saying to defend " your" position by being ready to give an account of why you believe as you do & have Faith/Hope in Christ Jesus-correct?

13 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

May I ask,what version you are quoting - I don't recall 1 Peter 3:15 reading"always ready for a defense" .... KJV Says " be ready to give an answer" & can't remember which version says" be ready to explain".   I'm wondering what the Greek word is,I'm a bit lazy right now ,it's like 1am,lol

I believe it was the Berean Literal Bible, you can check versions here. The word for answer or defense, is some version of the word apologia, though I do not recall the exact form. I too am lazy. There word is said to carry with it the idea of a reasoned response, such as an attorney might offer in a court of law, that sort of defense. Our word apologetics, comes from it!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I believe it was the Berean Literal Bible, you can check versions here. The word for answer or defense, is some version of the word apologia, though I do not recall the exact form. I too am lazy. There word is said to carry with it the idea of a reasoned response, such as an attorney might offer in a court of law, that sort of defense. Our word apologetics, comes from it!

I really like the Berean Literal...thanks for the quick link.....maybe tomorrow I'll check out the Greek lexicon when I'm awake ....

So interesting how our language came to be and the different origins of so many of our words,isn't it?English is such a complicated language 😃

57 minutes ago, kwikphilly said:

So interesting how our language came to be and the different origins of so many of our words,isn't it?English is such a complicated language

Yes, I think it is, but we need to be careful, a mistake people make sometimes, is thinking that a modern word is closely related to it's root. Examples of weirdities, our word rapture, comes from the same root, as the word rape does.  Hysterical, it comes from the Greek word for uterus! You can see it in hysterectomy, but the Greeks thought that women were more hysterical than men, so they attributed that to the uterus!

• Loved it! 1