IGNORED

How does one thrive under trials as a Christian?

Figure of eighty

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  242
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,562
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  0

I may be wrong but idk if a real Christian would panic or get angry or upset when going through things.. 

Is it normal or would they always have Gods peace ? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Of course Christians - even deeply committed and practicing Christians - get angry and upset at circumstances.  

One can still have the peace of God and be content and experience anger or frustration.  I don't think it's a coincidence that you asked this.

Let me tell you this story - 

One week ago yesterday, on a Wednesday night, a man came to church AND choir practice knowing there was a good chance that he had Covid.  He had even been tested two days prior to that.  Well on last Friday, he got the news that he was positive.   Think of the men in choir who sat beside him and the women who sat in front of him!!  It's been maddening!  If you get tested - STAY AT HOME until you find out your results.

Well, those people who sat near him in the two hour practice did not come Sunday out of sensible precaution and some had been tested.

We got word today that there are SEVERAL who have tested positive and church is cancelled for two weeks.  The pastor will come only and have his sermon put over Facebook.

I, since finding this out just an hour ago, have been VERY upset.  I don't know who the "several" are.  Is it the choir members or a few others?  I don't know.

I am frustrated, but at peace.  I am disturbed, but content.  I am content that God prevails and that his will is done.

I am a little angry and a little worried about me, but I put it in God's hands.  Perhaps this is God's way of convincing my church to be more precautious.  We have a lot of anti-mask and "this is all Democrat hoax" people in my church.

Maybe now we will use common sense.  Anyway, my "feelings" don't override my peace with God.  He knows my feeling and worries and stress, and I know he cares about that and comforts us all.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praying! 2

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,420
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It's normal. Remember, even Peter the disciple doubted when he was walking on the water with Jesus and was so overcome by the fear of the moment that he denied Jesus. He was forgiven anyway and was still used by God.

• This is Worthy 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

43 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

I may be wrong but idk if a real Christian would panic or get angry or upset when going through things.. 

Real Christians sure do get angry at times and we can panic too. We strive to be like Jesus, I never met anyone who had accomplished that. It's a goal to work for, it may take a lifetime to get close to it.

What I have noticed as I've grown is less people and situations will set me off than what could 10 or 20 yrs ago. But there are still certain people who can make me very angry. And to tell you the truth, every time it happens I get very mad at myself because I usually see it coming but I still fail to prevent it. This is just life. But I will say this, a person I barely know usually can't set me off but 30 yrs ago even a stranger could.

I think you're talking about immediate family, people you live with, those people are the hardest to cope with. Also, the more emotions you have for someone else, the more likely that person will be to set you off. Being a Christian isn't going to prevent you from being a human being. It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations of yourself. I suggest analyzing why a certain person set you off, it helps to know why it happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

there is a higher and deeper Peace of God.

It is a constant in the background of our lives. Sometimes it is drowned out when we react as normal humans to difficult things. We may not always hear or feel it, but it is there, and we return to Gods Peace time and again.

God gave us emotions, and the means to express them. Some emotions, like crying, are healing for us. But Gods Peace is still there, in the tears, anger, fear, panic and sorrow and frustration.

Sometimes we forget that bedrock of God's Love and peace, because our feelings swamp it. Feelings are feelings, but Gods Peace is Eternal and constant.

I hope I explain this properly. You are a brave woman. I respect you. This will pass.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1

10 minutes ago, JTC said:

Real Christians sure do get angry at times and we can panic too. We strive to be like Jesus, I never met anyone who had accomplished that. It's a goal to work for, it may take a lifetime to get close to it.

What I have noticed as I've grown is less people and situations will set me off than what could 10 or 20 yrs ago. But there are still certain people who can make me very angry. And to tell you the truth, every time it happens I get very mad at myself because I usually see it coming but I still fail to prevent it. This is just life. But I will say this, a person I barely know usually can't set me off but 30 yrs ago even a stranger could.

I think you're talking about immediate family, people you live with, those people are the hardest to cope with. Also, the more emotions you have for someone else, the more likely that person will be to set you off. Being a Christian isn't going to prevent you from being a human being. It sounds like you have unrealistic expectations of yourself. I suggest analyzing why a certain person set you off, it helps to know why it happened.

I agree with what you said. Just making sure im responding in a christ like way. 

Im watching videos now on how to thrive under pressure as a Christian and not just letting them beat me down.

• Praise God! 1

1 minute ago, leah777 said:

there is a higher and deeper Peace of God.

It is a constant in the background of our lives. Sometimes it is drowned out when we react as normal humans to difficult things. We may not always hear or feel it, but it is there, and we return to Gods Peace time and again.

God gave us emotions, and the means to express them. Some emotions, like crying, are healing for us. But Gods Peace is still there, in the tears, anger, fear, panic and sorrow and frustration.

Sometimes we forget that bedrock of God's Love and peace, because our feelings swamp it. Feelings are feelings, but Gods Peace is Eternal and constant.

I hope I explain this properly. You are a brave woman. I respect you. This will pass.

This was well said. I think ill ask for gods peace.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.71

3 minutes ago, Figure of eighty said:

This was well said. I think ill ask for gods peace.

John 16 v 33

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

• Loved it! 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  1,123
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

Yes we do, and so did Jesus who became righteously angry. He wept. He was also fully human. He suffered shame on the Cross. He wanted the cup of God's wrath to pass from him, but then drank all of it for us. Paul said that it was through his weakness that Christ made him strong. God created us and gave us emotions. It is very normal to experience them. But we have Someone that the world does not have, so then when we go through the storms of life, He is there with us. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,333
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

Be encouraged and strengthened by the words of the apostle Paul and Barnabas:

After they had preached the gospel to that city and had made many disciples, they returned to Lystra and to Iconium and to Antioch, strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, “Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God.” (Acts 14:21-22)

From Zechariah the prophet,

“It will come about in all the land,”
Declares the Lord,
“That two parts in it will be cut off and perish;
But the third will be left in it.
“And I will bring the third part through the fire,
Refine them as silver is refined,
And test them as gold is tested.
They will call on My name,
And I will answer them;
I will say, ‘They are My people,’
And they will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’”

(Zechariah 13:8-9)

From the first letter of Peter the apostle of Jesus Chtist,

In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls. (1 Peter 1:6-9)

• Loved it! 1