IGNORED

Dysfunctional families

Mine is. My brothers are stone hearted atheists. I cannot bear their company and we generally find life a lot easier to keep well away from each other. They pour scorn on me being a Christian and treat me as if i am simple in the head

I know i must pray for them. I do, daily. A few times i tried to tell them but am always met with a brick wall. I always feel derailed and awful inside after any contact with them. The only thing that connects us is that we have to cooperate in order to take care of our elderly ailing parents. When they are gone i look forward to never seeing my brothers again. Sadly. I have tried but accept failure. We truly cannot get on and have nothing else in common. 

Is it ok to pray for people you do not like and yet ask God to keep them away from you? It really bothers me. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  785
  • Topics Per Day:  0.34
  • Content Count:  6,970
  • Content Per Day:  3.02
  • Days Won:  1

Dont ask God to keep them away but to change their hearts so you can be together in Christ.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

As a believer, we MUST come to terms who is our enemy in this journey .  The devil comes to steal, kill and destroy and he comes to put enmity between brother and sister.   I think a reading through the book of Proverbs repeatedly a couple of times would see some real life lessons and how to avoid them.  

Sure, you have your disagreements now, but when they are not here, regrets kicks in.  Do your best to be humble and wise in your engagements, but at the same time, not be a door mat.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,328
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Is it ok to pray for people you do not like and yet ask God to keep them away from you? It really bothers me. 

We are commanded to pray for the good of our enemies.

You have no choice but to pray that they will be well physically, mentally and spiritually.

Re talking to your brother's, three things.

1/ learn the questions, what do you believe about.... What evidence do you have for that belief? You have to be able t answer these questions with logical reasons, never say have faith or just believe.

2/ learn the facts behind the historical accuracy of the resurrection. Read lee strobes the case for Christ or watch Dr G Habermas on the resurrection.

If you can give a reasoned explanation for your with you present hem with a challenge.

3/ remember people put up a front, they rarely show when they are shaken in there beliefs, so give them time and continue to pray for them.

You could practice on unbelieving colleagues.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  247
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,123
  • Content Per Day:  3.29
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Mine is. My brothers are stone hearted atheists. I cannot bear their company and we generally find life a lot easier to keep well away from each other. They pour scorn on me being a Christian and treat me as if i am simple in the head

I know i must pray for them. I do, daily. A few times i tried to tell them but am always met with a brick wall. I always feel derailed and awful inside after any contact with them. The only thing that connects us is that we have to cooperate in order to take care of our elderly ailing parents. When they are gone i look forward to never seeing my brothers again. Sadly. I have tried but accept failure. We truly cannot get on and have nothing else in common. 

Hi Melinda. I think I have come across other posts about this issue, which I truly identify with.  I like your use of the word "derailed" to describe how you feel and I remember many such experiences from my younger days. God gave me a revelation of being crowned like Christ with thorns pricking into my head and blood trickling from my wounds just like Him. Since then I have worn the scorn and debasing of others with dignity, just like Christ.

Life dishes up disappointments and heartbreaks, but I have found that when I bury these in Christ the derailings and deprivations become irrelevant because He enables me to keep my footing as I climb above them to the high places of victorious faith.

Habakkuk 3:19 paraphrased: He makes my feet like those of the deer in the high places of my victory in Christ.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

10 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Praying for your family is all that you need to do. If they are toxic people then your best choice is to stay away from them. There are many disfunctional families today. 

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Praying for your family is all that you need to do. If they are toxic people then your best choice is to stay away from them. There are many disfunctional families today. 

Mine beats the lot! I cannot see any benefit to inflicting them on myself. It shatters my peace of mind. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

3 minutes ago, Melinda12 said:

Mine beats the lot! I cannot see any benefit to inflicting them on myself. It shatters my peace of mind. 

It is sad isn't it? You need to tell God what you are feeling about this. 

2 hours ago, missmuffet said:

It is sad isn't it? You need to tell God what you are feeling about this. 

I do, daily. I ask for mercy on their souls. They have no idea what danger awaits them when they die. You belong either to Jesus or the Devil. That is correct? The choice is our own. 

13 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

I think many of us are in the same situation.  My sister and I haven't spoken in many, many years.  She's a Roman Catholic and married an atheist.  He was welcomed into the family while my born-again wife and myself were not.  My mother even wrote me out of her will because I rejected the pope as head of the church.  By all means pray, but put it in God's hands.  His will be done.  You have my prayers.

• Thumbs Up 1