Advice to help a suicidal friend?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Would she be open to being delivered? Many things that we class as mental health issues are nothing more than demonic spirits plaguing a person with thoughts and desires that are not their own. Jesus was and still is our deliverer who we are to learn from as fellow heirs walking in the authority He gave us to set the captives free. I'll pray for sure for your friend and I definitely will pray for God to reveal His will for her to be delivered by a fellow believer to her. Satan is a liar and a great deceiver.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 10/21/2020 at 1:42 AM, MiraculousFaith said:

Hi,

I have a friend who has dealt with a lot of mental challenges in her life, including depression. She's been on meds (partially by force and not simply by choice) for much of her teenage and adulthood (she's in her mid-20s). This past week, she has been claiming to be severely depressed by reoccurring doubts that are plaguing her. She claims that she isn't sure she really believes in God's truth (but she is more worried about the doubt than it deserves in my opinion), and that her decisions are leading her down a terrible path. The irony is that, yes, she has definitely made a lot of bad -- at least bad to me -- decisions, but I know that God still loves her and is walking with her.

Today she messaged me that she felt suicidal, but also assured me that she would not act on it. I've been down that road before and I'm apt to believe her at this time, but I don't know for sure how I should respond. Was wondering what you might tell a friend who feels like a no-good burden and is far too hard on herself for her flaws, to the point of excessive worrying and fatalistic mindset. I don't want to encourage any erratic behavior, but I am also not so sure she would enjoy ending up in a mental hospital again (for the second time in the last month). I briefly considered taking her while we were hanging out today, and I know it sounds kind of odd, but I think there is a spiritual warfare aspect to this alongside the other mental issues she's already struggling with. She isn't sure what to make of it all, and I guess I don't know either.

It's a strange and probably difficult situation, but I'd appreciate any experience or advice I might be able to pass along to her as a friend. She is certainly trying to better herself, but right now it isn't working out the best for her.

Thanks!

YOU MUST treat threats of suicide as genuine and get responders/professionals involved, to help.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Hi. As someone who is mentally ill and has been suicidal before, here's what I have to say.

Ask your friend if she has a plan. Be upfront. You can be suicidal and not necessarily be in danger of carrying it out. People will not be baker acted (forced into a mental hospital) unless they have made a plan and are in danger of carrying it out.

Second. Be sure to check in often. Let her know that you want her around and value her--actions speak louder than words.

Third. If she suddenly seems much happier, that's a warning sign that she may have made plans to kill herself very soon.

Edited by furrychristian
  • Thumbs Up 1