IGNORED

How are you celebrating Halloween? Or are you? Why or why not?

other one

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  9.63
  • Days Won:  149

1 minute ago, LadyKay said:

I can just imagine the decorations for that holiday.   :blink:

I was sorta thinking out loud there LadyKay. The ideas seemed to fit at the time. 

I'm probably better off not imagining those decorations :blink:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

So this is a short story of my experience.  When I was growing up. Our church had Halloween parties. Well not at the church so much. But at church member's houses. There was never any issue. Then in the 1990's we got a new pastor. Then Halloween became evil and no one was suppose to do Halloween anymore. But....they then starting having what they called "Hallelujah  Parties". Where they did the same thing that do at a Halloween Party. But I guess changing the name to a "Hallelujah Party" made it okay again. 

That was a very long time ago. Nothing like that is going on now or has gone on for a few years. 

So this happens every year. Halloween comes around and all us Christians on this forum argue about it. Things get to the extreme,  where you got people saying that all kinds of evil is running about on Halloween and we have to turn off the lights,  lock our doors, and not leave the house. Cause we will be in danger of Halloween.  Then Halloween comes. It passes. Nothing happens and soon it is Nov. 1 and life goes on as before until someone post the anti-Christmas tree thread. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,130
  • Content Per Day:  9.63
  • Days Won:  149

You make good points LadyKay. If you go out on Halloween for anything you feel judged. TBH I have found more disagreement on Christian forums than anywhere else and that's really sad. 

I try to post a thread to have an innocent discussion on a subject and all of a sudden I'm the devil incarnate ( ok I am stretching that a little). Sometimes the disagreements are over such trivial things that don't amount to a hill of beans.

I have never blocked anyone, but if I stay here for any length of time it's probably going to happen.

31 minutes ago, Starise said:

You make good points LadyKay. If you go out on Halloween for anything you feel judged. TBH I have found more disagreement on Christian forums than anywhere else and that's really sad. 

I try to post a thread to have an innocent discussion on a subject and all of a sudden I'm the devil incarnate ( ok I am stretching that a little). Sometimes the disagreements are over such trivial things that don't amount to a hill of beans.

I have never blocked anyone, but if I stay here for any length of time it's probably going to happen.

Well over all. I see this as a personal issue between a person and God. I do not judge those who think it is wrong for them to do Halloween, and ask that they do not judge me if I do do Halloween.  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,373
  • Content Per Day:  7.12
  • Days Won:  99

The OP posed a question which some answered. This particular activity isn't limited to Worthy nor is it unique among Christians worldwide. @LadyKay, since you've asked for others to be fair to you perhaps you ought to do the same and refrain from putting words in the mouths of others like you did in the message below. 

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

Things get to the extreme,  where you got people saying that all kinds of evil is running about on Halloween and we have to turn off the lights,  lock our doors, and not leave the house. Cause we will be in danger of Halloween.  Then Halloween comes. It passes. Nothing happens and soon it is Nov. 1 and life goes on as before until someone post the anti-Christmas tree thread. 

I haven't encountered anything of the sort in this topic. Treat others how you wish to be treated yourself (Luke 6:31). I didn't take offense at your needling me about the Thanksgiving holiday when I made it abundantly clear that I avoid holidays (and why) but seeing as how you're asking to be treated well by others in this topic, perhaps you ought to consider how you are treating others.  :) 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

, since you've asked for others to be fair to you perhaps you ought to do the same and refrain from putting words in the mouths of others

Oh good heavens what did I do now?  That post I made was not even directed to anyone! SO I did not put words in Anyone's mouth! It was a generalized comment directed at No one!  It wasn't even a responds to anyone's post!  It was made all by itself with no quotes from anyone on it! 

My post was a generalization of Halloween threads I have seen on this site over the years! Again not directed towards anyone! 

I didn't take offense at your needling me about the Thanksgiving holiday

I wasn't "needling " You about Thanksgiving! I was making friendly conversation! ALL I did was ask you about Thanksgiving! That is all. I had no idea asking a friendly question was going to be consider "needling"!

I'm done. I can't talk to people here without someone getting mad.  You all just go have your Halloween thread!  I don't need this in my life I have enough issues without worry someone is going to take personal a generalize post I made. 

I am done! 

Edited by LadyKay

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/2004

I celebrate Halloween by spooking children that dare to visit my house. It´s a lot of fun and I also give them lots of candy

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.74
  • Days Won:  21

I guess I'm in the minority that believe there's nothing wrong in having a little fun. I celebrate the holidays. I smile at little children dressed up as pumpkins and super heroes and I give them all the candy I can. I decorate a Christmas tree every year. I hang lights and ornaments and give gifts to those I love. I think the Easter bunny is harmless and laugh at all the little babies who cry while meeting him for the first time and some years I even sneak in a picture with him myself. :D 

Sometimes as Christians we really do just overly spiritualize everything (IN MY OPINION). 

Witchcraft and evil activity take place every day of the week, every week of the year. 

Don't come at me, I'm not planning to post in this thread again. I've said my two cents and I leave you with that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.51
  • Days Won:  12

23 hours ago, leah777 said:

That's not my point.

Does no-one on here understand the use of examples for illustrative purposes?

My point is that familiarity with bad things de-sensitises us to their badness, especially when those bad things are presented as harmless fun.

In the same way as playing video games depicting rape or nurse, or watching films and programs about them has a desensitizing affect.

Your point was clear; in fact, I have to wonder if the one who responded to it was being deliberately obtuse.  I hope not.