IGNORED

How are you celebrating Halloween? Or are you? Why or why not?

other one

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,410
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  99

1 minute ago, Henry_iain said:

Not being an American, being in a part of the world where Halloween falls in Springtime and having had a bad experience with Halloween in the past,  I personally just don't take part in it. Not for me. But I cannot really see anything wrong with dressing up and going to houses to get sweets. 

With all these kind of "do or don't" things there is a very simple solution: "you do what you feel comfortable with, let others do what they feel comfortable with." It is not your job to police every little thing someone else does. You are, of course, welcome to share your opinions about it. 

I suspect that this thread will become rather amusing soon, with all the same tired old arguments coming out again. And this is only volume 1: the Halloween edition. We still have the Christmas edition to look forward to.  Who needs sitcoms when you can have this right here in our own forums and for free.

Rest assured it's going down in other places. Not too long ago I perused other Christian forums so never fear, Worthy isn't the only place with "<Insert name here> Is Evil" topics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  24,920
  • Content Per Day:  5.78
  • Days Won:  161
  • Birthday:  01/30/1985

Oh yes. I know. This is not my first forum. Actually, when I was a young Christian and full of zeal, I was very much taken in by these things. I saw daemons behind every bush and made sure everybody knew it. I thought I was helping. Through some tough times which forced me to re-examine and look in a mirror, I learned how to be more balanced. I am no liberal. I take a strong stand when I need to. But I find my sharing of the gospel far more effective when I approach people more gently and don't sweat the small stuff. 

Edited by Henry_iain

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.50
  • Days Won:  12

3 hours ago, leah777 said:

What about playing darts, dominos or cribbage? Getting to know local people is a good way to be able to witness to them, as they get to know us. Rural pubs are like family homes.

We cannot write a long list of "cans" and "cannots".  The thing is to be led by the Lord, who will never lead us to sin and will make us good witnesses for him.

I do have a few words of caution, however.  Light and darkness have nothing in common; so, while we can be friendly towards the lost, help them practically, pray for them and witness to them, we cannot have a friendship with them, since that would be an unequal yoke.  Any attempt to produce such a friendship will result in the Christian being dragged in the wrong direction, to a greater or lesser extent.

2 Cor. 6:14-18 (WEB)

14 Don’t be unequally yoked with unbelievers, for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
15 What agreement has Christ with Belial? Or what portion has a believer with an unbeliever?
16 What agreement has a temple of God with idols? For you are a temple of the living God. Even as God said, “I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” 
17 Therefore, “‘Come out from among them, and be separate,’ says the Lord. ‘Touch no unclean thing. I will receive you.  
18 I will be to you a Father. You will be to me sons and daughters,’ says the Lord Almighty.”

Some people erroneously try to make this only about marriage; however, marriage is not even part of the context (although the principles clearly apply to any kind of yoke, like friendship, worship, marriage or business partnership).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,134
  • Content Per Day:  9.62
  • Days Won:  149

1 hour ago, Henry_iain said:

Not being an American, being in a part of the world where Halloween falls in Springtime and having had a bad experience with Halloween in the past,  I personally just don't take part in it. Not for me. But I cannot really see anything wrong with dressing up and going to houses to get sweets. 

With all these kind of "do or don't" things there is a very simple solution: "you do what you feel comfortable with, let others do what they feel comfortable with." It is not your job to police every little thing someone else does. You are, of course, welcome to share your opinions about it. 

I suspect that this thread will become rather amusing soon, with all the same tired old arguments coming out again. And this is only volume 1: the Halloween edition. We still have the Christmas edition to look forward to.  Who needs sitcoms when you can have this right here in our own forums and for free.

I do think we can get carried away with what people should or shouldn't be doing. Ha, I didn't know Halloween was in spring there! In South Africa? Interesting!

My only comment would be to consider a statement made by  English occultist Aliester Crowley

" Do what thou wilt." Also referred to as the Thelema

Aliester Crowley was one seriously messed up demon possessed dude. He is a good example of someone who did what he wanted to do and then some. We have a will. He was free to use his will. He is a good example for why as Christians we should be doing God's will. Interestingly he was a celebrity of sorts, even featured on a famous Beatles album cover. These are the people the world promote.

The Bible speaks about light and darkness. What fellowship can they possibly have? The darkness hates the light because it exposes the deeds which are evil. I once thought this was only figurative. When it comes to these themes, especially around Halloween in the US, darkness is literally a part of it. People who are living in darkness and doing things they don't want exposed will run from the light. People who want to be clean through Christ want Him to look deep inside and fill them with His light. They want to be clean. Shine that light. Take away all of that inner dross. Make me what you want me to be. Music videos associated with many rock bands are so dark.

Bars are often dark. Different areas of the world have slightly different kinds of bars. I believe in the UK bars are more local gathering places for everyone. We have a few of those around here. 

There are a lot of people frequenting bars who need Jesus. For me it was a place to play music and I later thought about the other implications of meeting people and getting to know a few of them. People need to meet you and get to know you before most of them will listen to what you have to say. 

I know some Christians who were giving out Christian comics to children along with the candy. I'm not showing up to any seances, covens or keeping occult symbols around my house. Most importantly I pray for a protective hedge around my house, not just on Halloween but year round.

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a line yes.  There are boundaries. And certainly there are certain points where I take a firm stand. There is black and white. But grey exists as well. That I definitely also believe.  Two things: 1.) I would not write someone off if they disagreed with me about that. I would probably warn of the potential dangers of a particular course of action, but I would not press the matter, because in the end, it is their choice. 2.) Actually my whole point is that we shouldn't manipulate, threaten or in other ways attempt to take away their choices by force. We need to leave room for people to decide for themselves. And with things like Halloween, I do think intent does matter. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So before I get drawn into this too much: I am not really interested in these kind of questions, since I believe it is up to the individual. Enjoy the debate. I have shared my thoughts. I still think all the old arguments are going to come out. I'll be watching from the side-lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,410
  • Content Per Day:  7.14
  • Days Won:  99

Edited. Zapped. Transformed. Ushered elsewhere. :) 

Edited by Marathoner
clarity

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  24
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/05/1953

As a Christian I don’t believe it’s ok to even address known Satanic festivals by the name simply because it encourages other people to go out and Celebrate the Festival So u I suggest you rename the day as October 31 instead 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  578
  • Content Per Day:  0.39
  • Days Won:  0

Don't do it if it violates your conscience or your brother's conscience. But to the pure all things are pure; we have the earnest of the Spirit, the testimony of Jesus Christ as to the surety of our salvation and of His everlasting and unchangeable love for us. See also Col 2:18-23. Nevertheless, it is better to avoid it if it's not done in faith, because then your conscience is defiled, and you are offended and do sin.

2019 was my first year as a Christian, and I was very much against holidays like Halloween and Christmas last year. This year, I'm a bit more relaxed, since I see much of the OT warnings against false religion as spiritually applicable to worshiping the works of your own hands (Isaiah 2:8)--which is working for your salvation or working to prove your salvation. Legalists are hypocrites who preach against what they think is demonic or idolatrous, while engaging in sorcery and idolatry themselves in the form of works to keep or prove their salvation.

The earth and the fullness thereof is the Lord's (Psalm 24:1). And, the Lord will give unto His people the heritage of the heathen (Psalm 2:8, 111:6). And, all things are ours, if we're in Christ Jesus (1 Cor 3:21-22).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,277
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

How far did people go this year celebrating and putting up decorations.   It's had to believe they would keep this for weeks for this holiday.  How would you like to have these folks for neighbors.

halloween.jpg