IGNORED

Sermons- What's your favorite delivery and why?

Starise

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,146
  • Content Per Day:  9.58
  • Days Won:  149

15 hours ago, Your closest friendnt said:

I enjoy seeing the youth praising Jesus Christ, and think that Jesus Christ must have a very special spot in his heart for them...they could be in some other place but they left everything to be in church and sing praises to him...

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate that you're "rolling with it". A church without young people is a dying church. Young families are necessary if the church is to grow. I also think the younger members need to be understanding there are older people there. Some churches have more and some less. Older people know it comes with the territory to be a minority eventually. I mean, we either younger or get old. The older you get, the more of your friends and family have gone to be with the Lord. Right now I'm sort of wedged in the middle. My preference is to get old over dying :) The churches I've attended that were mainly geared for younger people had pastors that tried to look cool. They walked out onto the stage with a little hair gel rhino point, sneakers, shirt untucked ( granted I was never a conservative dresser either, even for an older guy) Pastors now might have tattoos. Those pastors preached using pre packaged "theme" sermons. I admit I never liked those canned sermons, even though they had accompanying movies and splashy graphics slides. I though they often ventured too far away from Jesus and the cross into Dr. Ruth < or name another talk show psychologist>. territory. Some churches are more like  the YMCA with a little Jesus thrown in for good measure. It all appears to this older guy like an attempt to make the church fit into the world. Is that what we want? I like churches with a good representation of all ages. Feels like family. They need us old geezers.

14 hours ago, Willa said:

This pastor really loved the Lord and for many years subsisted on less than the wage he was promised.  He just didn't know how to yield to God to effectively speak the message God wanted to convey.  I suspect this is often the case.  In other cases the pastors aren't saved to begin with.

I liked everything you wrote about this. I have highlighted this part for comment. I have seen many men with good hearts who never really connected with me from behind the pulpit. I know of a situation right now where a church spent big money to hire a firm to search a pastor for them. Some people in that church were involved in the process. Took over 3 years. So far as credentials and integrity go he's a winner. As a human being I think he's wonderful. As a pastor delivering a message, I'm trying really hard...really hard to connect, but so far it's not a good fit for me that way.  It's actually what prompted me to post this thread. I can get the jist of his message and maybe he will get better with time, but I'm not particularly drawn to his style of delivery which is oratory for the masses. I will say I AM getting what he says, but something seems to be missing. I will not leave over this, but I feel I'm more enduring it than enjoying it. On a scale of 1-10 I give him a 4 as a speaker. I am willing to admit that maybe it's just me and that he IS connecting with more people than not. And maybe this is a good thing because it takes the focus off of the man altogether.

True story. One pastor I know admitted he wasn't saved when he was in seminary, but accepted Christ later on. He is actually a better speaker than the other person I mentioned. Could probably talk the paint job off of my car. That never changes though. If you go out with him somewhere and try to say something you only get the first part of a word out. :) 

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

Interesting question that I had to really think about.

I've sat through 45 minute sermons that seemed like a few minutes and 15 minute sermons that dragged.  I've sat through 45 minutes sermons that should have lasted 10 minutes.  I've sat through loud active sermons that put me to sleep and through quiet detailed expositions that engaged me.   I've sat through expositions that were little more than meaningless impressive sounding theological jargon or a thin pretty veneer covering blatant proselytizing.   I've sat through series of personal stories that left me cold and others that were fascinating and inspiring testimonies of God's working.  I've sat through some that felt like God talking straight to me and others where I was a disinterested third party sitting there.  I've sat through sermon series on a particular topic that seemed to last forever and others that were great.

I'd lay part of this on me and part of this on the speaker.

What makes an effective fruitful delivery?    The speaker is comfortable being who God made them to be and doesn't try to be their favorite preacher.  The speaker is delivering God's words in His tone and His timing to the listeners.  The speaker shares testimonies of what God has done in their or other's people lives that leave the listener excited about God and inspired that He can do such things in others' lives.  The Holy Spirit communicates personal meaning to a large number of the listeners in various ways (be it the main thrust of the message or a single sentence or a "random" look or gesturing of a hand at a person at a particular moment).  The speaker knows what they are talking about.  The speaker has sincere motives.   And finally, the speaker simply has a wealth of spiritual wisdom, discernment, and insight in which they see things clearly and can say things clearly and focus on what God wants done. 

What makes for ineffective delivery?   Trying to act like someone else.  Speaking way too long or way too short.  Proselytizing and pointing out why they (and their church and denomination) are better than other Christians.   Regurgitating or paraphrasing long sections from various reference books or other materials.  Very distracting habits (such as one pastor I had who kept putting the wireless mic too close to his face which kept picking up smacking of his lips and tongue as he spoke).   Having an ulterior motive (which can be sincere) other than speaking right now and today what God wants.

• This is Worthy 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  280
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  13,146
  • Content Per Day:  9.58
  • Days Won:  149

45 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Interesting question that I had to really think about.

I've sat through 45 minute sermons that seemed like a few minutes and 15 minute sermons that dragged.  I've sat through 45 minutes sermons that should have lasted 10 minutes.  I've sat through loud active sermons that put me to sleep and through quiet detailed expositions that engaged me.   I've sat through expositions that were little more than meaningless impressive sounding theological jargon or a thin pretty veneer covering blatant proselytizing.   I've sat through series of personal stories that left me cold and others that were fascinating and inspiring testimonies of God's working.  I've sat through some that felt like God talking straight to me and others where I was a disinterested third party sitting there.  I've sat through sermon series on a particular topic that seemed to last forever and others that were great.

I'd lay part of this on me and part of this on the speaker.

What makes an effective fruitful delivery?    The speaker is comfortable being who God made them to be and doesn't try to be their favorite preacher.  The speaker is delivering God's words in His tone and His timing to the listeners.  The speaker shares testimonies of what God has done in their or other's people lives that leave the listener excited about God and inspired that He can do such things in others' lives.  The Holy Spirit communicates personal meaning to a large number of the listeners in various ways (be it the main thrust of the message or a single sentence or a "random" look or gesturing of a hand at a person at a particular moment).  The speaker knows what they are talking about.  The speaker has sincere motives.   And finally, the speaker simply has a wealth of spiritual wisdom, discernment, and insight in which they see things clearly and can say things clearly and focus on what God wants done. 

What makes for ineffective delivery?   Trying to act like someone else.  Speaking way too long or way too short.  Proselytizing and pointing out why they (and their church and denomination) are better than other Christians.   Regurgitating or paraphrasing long sections from various reference books or other materials.  Very distracting habits (such as one pastor I had who kept putting the wireless mic too close to his face which kept picking up smacking of his lips and tongue as he spoke).   Having an ulterior motive (which can be sincere) other than speaking right now and today what God wants.

This is VERY well stated and seems to cover the majority of  my experiences as well. I only wish more men of the cloth would heed that next to last paragraph.

Edited by Starise
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Starise said:

This is VERY well stated and seems to cover the majority of  my experiences as well. I only wish more men of the cloth would heed that next to last paragraph.

Quite popular over the last 40 years are the "PowerPoint" Preachers.  They make use of the latest technology, mix in some graphics, audio and video, and substitute all that for substance.  It's all about presentation.  This is way more effective for the large "mega" churches than it is for the smaller churches which may make a more individual connection with its people.  A moneymaker for the mega churches is the selling of books, cassettes, CDs, DVDs, etc. of their preaching or other like minded preachers.

The mega churches used to (and may still) have a formula for services.  They usually start off with a few "church" notes then right into worship.  The worship is intentionally programmed for local talent (if available) and then congregation hymn singing to bring on the Holy Spirit.  The selection of music to sing is geared towards the message to be preached.  At the end of the worship portion of the service, the collection is made while the congregation is in a heightened state of spirituality.  There may be a preliminary preaching on tithing before the collection, it depends on if there's a building program going on.  Sometimes a second collection follows the first for missions, building programs, special needs, etc.  The regular preaching goes for about 45 minutes so people can get home for football.

I only noticed this routine in mega churches, not in Assemblies of God, Southern Baptists, or other churches I've been part of.  The last Roman Catholic services I've been to have been two funerals and a wedding.  I can't say what a modern Roman Catholic Church service is like.  The Holy Spirit is not leading me to return.  My faith is in Jesus and the Holy Spirit will keep me on the straight and narrow path.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  1,915
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  0

When I think of delivery i think of Billy Graham. I still listen to him on YouTube. He spoke with power and conviction. Yes he did have some preliminary people sing worship songs, but when he got up there was absolute silences as they listened. They  were like statues in a chair and all were looking right at him listening to every word he spoke. If I were to emulate any one delivering a sermon I would want to touch people as he did. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,070
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

On 12/1/2020 at 9:43 AM, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

Quite popular over the last 40 years are the "PowerPoint" Preachers.  They make use of the latest technology, mix in some graphics, audio and video, and substitute all that for substance.  It's all about presentation.  This is way more effective for the large "mega" churches than it is for the smaller churches which may make a more individual connection with its people.  A moneymaker for the mega churches is the selling of books, cassettes, CDs, DVDs, etc. of their preaching or other like minded preachers.

The mega churches used to (and may still) have a formula for services.  They usually start off with a few "church" notes then right into worship.  The worship is intentionally programmed for local talent (if available) and then congregation hymn singing to bring on the Holy Spirit.  The selection of music to sing is geared towards the message to be preached.  At the end of the worship portion of the service, the collection is made while the congregation is in a heightened state of spirituality.  There may be a preliminary preaching on tithing before the collection, it depends on if there's a building program going on.  Sometimes a second collection follows the first for missions, building programs, special needs, etc.  The regular preaching goes for about 45 minutes so people can get home for football.

I only noticed this routine in mega churches, not in Assemblies of God, Southern Baptists, or other churches I've been part of.  The last Roman Catholic services I've been to have been two funerals and a wedding.  I can't say what a modern Roman Catholic Church service is like.  The Holy Spirit is not leading me to return.  My faith is in Jesus and the Holy Spirit will keep me on the straight and narrow path.

Seems familiar from back then...plus there was a Crunchie Bar during "family time" if it was your birthday, engagement, anniversary, exam passes, new house, new baby, etc. Big queue at the front sometimes.

2034369300_CrunchieBar.jpg.38a5d1a6a578b6eae0b2e5ee7ad10931.jpg

• Huh?  I don't get it. 1

5 hours ago, Mike Mclees said:

When I think of delivery i think of Billy Graham. I still listen to him on YouTube. He spoke with power and conviction. Yes he did have some preliminary people sing worship songs, but when he got up there was absolute silences as they listened. They  were like statues in a chair and all were looking right at him listening to every word he spoke. If I were to emulate any one delivering a sermon I would want to touch people as he did. 

He seemed genuine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest kingdombrat

Even though I am saved by Grace and secured by Christ, I sure miss those [Fire and Brimstone] messages from my younger days.   

Guest kingdombrat

Dwight Thompson use to preach a couple times for Lester Sumrall and he could hold your attention better than anyone else I've listen to in person.   R.W. Shambach and when Rod Parsley was around 20 before he married.   Casey Treat was pretty good in his younger days.   But ole Dwight Thompson would fill the huge altar any night of the week.

Edited by kingdombrat