IGNORED

I Went To A Hill On Mars! I Lived to Talk About It!

Blood Bought 1953

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

BTW--I have two rules that I try to adhere to.

'Avoid Clusters'

'Don't ride at night'

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

6 hours ago, Alive said:

Actually it was late September and early October.

A brother from back home trailered his bike out here to Oklahoma. First we rode up to Trenton, MO to see some brothers and sisters and then I showed him around southwest MO and northwest AR. Then we rode to the OK panhandle, over to the Enchanted Circle in northern NM, up to Pueblo, CO, across 50 through Gunnison and Black Canyon, and down the  Million Dollar Hwy through Ouray and down to Durango, over to Bluff, Utah, then to Flagstaff and a visit to the Grand Canyon, then back east to the Petrified Forest, over to Roswell, up through Amarillo and over to Elk City, OK and on through OKC, Tulsa and back home to Grove, OK.

Not a cloud in the sky the entire trip. It was usually below freezing mornings in the mountains and warmed up real nice. The Pueblo Res was shut down for covid--NM is crazy. Pueblo was just plain nutz.

Our Lord did a wonderful job making this earth---fall notwithstanding.

The Lord and the 12 would ride Harleys and they would surely be Ultra Limiteds.

:-)

Sounds like a dream come true.....I would have loved every second of it.....Motorcycle  riding is like fishing, golfing, etc....it’s either in your blood or it isn’t.....it’s been in mine since I was 15..... unfortunately, golf is on my Blood also.....lol....it’s a lot easier to pull back on a throttle than it is to hit a golf ball straight....

I ride an ‘03 Heritage Soft Tail ....Some Of my friends have Ultras and I have borrowed them to check them out.....the “ check” went well.....those bikes are simply outstanding ....I told my friend that let me borrow his Ultra—— “ That’s it.....this is a bike that quite simply can NOT be improved upon —- The Power....the Smoothness ....Everything.....it’s Perfect”

And yes.....this Earth and it’s beauty are Amazing.....as I ride and look around at gorgeous scenery , it’s hard to believe that this world is “ cursed”..... if this is “ cursed”...... I can hardly wait to see what an uncursed  Heaven looks like !

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.54
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

1 minute ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Sounds like a dream come true.....I would have loved every second of it.....Motorcycle  riding is like fishing, golfing, etc....it’s either in your blood or it isn’t.....it’s been in mine since I was 15..... unfortunately, golf is on my Blood also.....lol....it’s a lot easier to pull back on a throttle than it is to hit a golf ball straight....

I ride an ‘03 Heritage Soft Tail ....Some Of my friends have Ultras and I have borrowed them to check them out.....the “ check” went well.....those bikes are simply outstanding ....I told my friend that let me borrow his Ultra—— “ That’s it.....this is a bike that quite simply can NOT be improved upon —- The Power....the Smoothness ....Everything.....it’s Perfect”

And yes.....this Earth and it’s beauty are Amazing.....as I ride and look around at gorgeous scenery , it’s hard to believe that this world is “ cursed”..... if this is “ cursed”...... I can hardly wait to see what an uncursed  Heaven looks like !

Yup--its a continent crosser. Mine is a 2017 with the new M8 motor. Real smooth with torque from start to finish. The Twin Cams can't hold a candle to new motor.

Last summer, I had ridden back to NH for some family stuff and got a call from my wife that her mom was in ICU. I headed back being concerned for my darling. I left NH mid morning and made it to about 80 miles from Eire, PA. Got up the next morning and rode home 1048 miles in 16.5 hours. As an aging fella, no way could I have done that on a lesser bike.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Alive said:

BTW--I have two rules that I try to adhere to.

'Avoid Clusters'

'Don't ride at night'

I have some Rules also......ALWAYS wear a Helmet

ALWAYS figure that the person that “ CAN” pull out in front of you—- “WILL” pull out in front of you ! 

Act as if you believe that you are invisible and silent whenever you are on the road .....that is how the world perceives you 

Never eat the Yellow Snow......

That’s it.......always remember that  90% of motorcycle fatalities happen to those riders that have been riding less than 6 months....they did not learn those lesson yet—- especially that second one..

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

1 hour ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

always remember that  90% of motorcycle fatalities happen to those riders that have been riding less than 6 months....they did not learn those lesson yet—- especially that second one..

As I recall when I read a report by professor Harry Hurt (what a name) who studied motorcycle involved accidents, his assessment was quite different than that. If my memory is right, he said that it is not those who are new that have accidents, it is those who after about 6 months, the newness has worn off and they get comfortable, and THAT is when the most accidents happen.

The only other thing that I recall from his study, was that 51% of motorcycle involved accidents, are at intersections, when the motorcyclist is going straight, and a car turns left in front of the bike.  The think I recall that was very common in that situation, was that the motorcycles "knows" that he had eye contact with the driver of the car, while the driver of the cars says they never even say the bike.

That fits well with your rules BB:

ALWAYS figure that the person that “ CAN” pull out in front of you—- “WILL” pull out in front of you ! 

Act as if you believe that you are invisible and silent whenever you are on the road .....that is how the world perceives you 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

7 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

As I recall when I read a report by professor Harry Hurt (what a name) who studied motorcycle involved accidents, his assessment was quite different than that. If my memory is right, he said that it is not those who are new that have accidents, it is those who after about 6 months, the newness has worn off and they get comfortable, and THAT is when the most accidents happen.

The only other thing that I recall from his study, was that 51% of motorcycle involved accidents, are at intersections, when the motorcyclist is going straight, and a car turns left in front of the bike.  The think I recall that was very common in that situation, was that the motorcycles "knows" that he had eye contact with the driver of the car, while the driver of the cars says they never even say the bike.

That fits well with your rules BB:

Yes! I think I remember hearing what you said about that AFTER 6 month thing.....I forgot about that! It makes PERFECT sense....thanks for that insightful reminder!

Here is something amazing.....I used to get INCENSED When somebody pulled out in front of me ! I seriously considered using a tie- down strap to carry a brick on my bike that I could use to smash the windshield of any car that endangered my life.I was dead serious about that...

Then one day it hit me ! Twice in my own life out  on the roads, I was guilty of the SAME  THING ! Yes! Now you wanna talk about feeling like a RAT ? I slumped WAY down in the car both times after I sheepishly waved and apologized .......Was I Guilty Of ANYthing? Nope.

People, including me , simply DO NOT SEE the bike and pull out .Or they “ see” and it just does not register.....o f course, the latter is the explanation, probably...

Regardless, After my “ epiphany” I am a lot more  sympathetic to the guy that simply does  not see me.....

Nowadays I just whisper a little prayer before I get on the bike and the brick stays at home.....lol....

• Followers:  26
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,734
  • Content Per Day:  2.77
  • Days Won:  21

(is learning a lot about motorcycles from this thread)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,165
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

20 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Don't forget what an old friend and ex-biker told me about motorcycle safety: "Ride like everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. You'll rarely be surprised!"

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,133
  • Content Per Day:  7.07
  • Days Won:  97

I witnessed an accident which resulted in serious injuries to a motorcyclist. I was waiting to turn left at a traffic signal; on the other side of the road the driver of a Honda Accord was emerging from a Starbucks, turning left to enter my side of the highway. I watched it go down:

The driver of the Accord never noticed the fellow on the motorcycle. She blindly pulled out in front of him, failing to yield the right of way, and the collision vaulted the cyclist from his bike. He slammed into the body of the car. I jumped out to render aid while my passenger called 911... the poor guy was in excruciating pain. He wanted to stand to his feet but I kept him on the pavement because I was pretty sure his pelvis was broken. I made a pillow out of his padded riding gloves and remained with him until the ambulance arrived. 

Drivers need to be aware of motorcyclists on the road. There's only so much someone on a bike can do to avoid accidents. 

• Thumbs Up 1