Never knew him

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Something that just occurred to me, and I'd like to run by everyone. In Matthew chapter 7, verses 21-23, Christ mentions people who evidently did a great deal of work in his name--including exorcisms, and miracles--and yet he says they never even knew him. And they're not going to heaven. 

I'm wondering, how could someone be so active for Christ, performing such major works, and yet not know him? How can such a thing be?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,414
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

The Bible doesn't actually say that they did those works, though. It says that they say they did those things. They could be outright lying as a desperate move. They could have been the sort of people who embrace religion for the sake of money, fame, or power. Looking at the preceding verses Jesus warns against false teachers and false prophets, so I see 21-23 as an expansion on that. God also knows our hearts. After stating that He never knew these people he makes a statement about their character, calling them workers of iniquity or those who practice lawlessness and so on, depending on your translation. Jesus of all people wouldn't be calling them that lightly. It all points to them being false Christians.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

3 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

Something that just occurred to me, and I'd like to run by everyone. In Matthew chapter 7, verses 21-23, Christ mentions people who evidently did a great deal of work in his name--including exorcisms, and miracles--and yet he says they never even knew him. And they're not going to heaven. 

I'm wondering, how could someone be so active for Christ, performing such major works, and yet not know him? How can such a thing be?

False teachers can be self-deceived or charlatans who perform fake miracles or have the power of Satan to perform miracles.

Have you not heard of people who pray in the name of Jesus and others and see miracle healings and life changes, but know neither the saving gospel nor Jesus Christ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

As has already been pointed out, people can be Christians in name only. But have never surrendered their lives to Christ. Miracles and exorcisms can be counterfeited by such people. The magicians in Pharaoh’s court were able to replicate some of the miracles Moses performed is an example of such charlatans. Counterfeit miracles lend credence to false doctrine and “prove” the power of talismans and rituals.

Another example of how a person can do good works, but not know Jesus personally; Is the story of the sons of Sceva in Acts 19. Before I get to that, scripture tells us that it is God's will that we believe and trust in His son for our salvation. When we do, we come to know who Jesus is. And complete faith and trust in Jesus as Lord and Savior marks us as true believers. And the of kind works that follow in our lives are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control.

Sceva called himself a Jewish chief priest, and his sons were men who went about casting out demon's. But one day, that boomeranged on them. From scripture, we can conclude that they didn't know Jesus personally, because when they tried to remove a demon from someone using a formula that included the name of Jesus. The demon told them, that Jesus he knew, Paul he knew, but who were they? And the demon beat those men badly. Demons recognize valid authority, and they fear God. That valid authority over demons belongs only to Jesus and to those to whom Jesus gave it.

The seven sons even though they were Jewish and very religious, were not Apostles. The men had no relationship with God. They were not believers in Christ. They did not possess the power or the presence of the Holy Spirit. There was nothing in them or their words that would cause a demon to pay them the slightest heed.

The greatest thing in our lives is knowing our Heavenly Father personally and that our names are written down in heaven. And is so much greater; far greater than all the exorcisms, and miracles we could ever do. Those pale in comparison to the personal relationship with God.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

If I want to make a name for myself, I might go out and do lots of "good deeds," and claim I am doing them in the name of Jesus, all while ignoring the things the Lord needs me to do. 

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

I think some  dive into biblical history and Jewish culture of the era might be necessary here to provide some background.  I do NOT have that available at hand, but the following is something that I think is at the minimum helpful and to some degree mandatory to provide a sound answer and is something I'd like to hear as part of a complete answer.

Some of Jesus' sayings and teachings were correcting misconceptions his contemporaries had.  For example, many passages in the OT had lead many toward thinking that health and wealth were a sign of God's blessing and lack thereof was a sign of God's displeasure.  Hence, in John 9, the disciples ask whose sin resulted in a man being born blind.  Also in Matt 19:23-25, we have the disciples simply assuming wealth was such a sign of God's blessing that the rich were automatically "in".  Another misconception was that the Messiah would be another king such as David who would politically restore the kingdom.  In John 6:15, some wanted to make Jesus king.  Even in Acts 1:6 the disciples are still asking about this.  

Up to this point in Matthew, Jesus has not yet sent out his disciples for ministry.  In Chapter 4, Jesus has begun his ministry and it is not until chapter 10 he sends others out empowered to do this.  If 7:21-23 was meant to be a cautionary note to those sent out to minister, I'd have expected to see in a passage where the 12 or the 70 are being sent out rather than as part of an address to the masses.  This makes me wonder if 7:21-23 was meant to reveal a common misconception about those who did such things.

Basically the question is what did Jesus' hearers (in chapters 5-7, sermon on the mount) think about those who prophesied and cast out demons?  Did they see them as specially anointed or chosen or holy or what?   Was it primarily those associated with the Pharisees or lawyers that did this?  Was it special groups or individuals like John the Baptist or other groups not mentioned in scripture (e.g. Essenes) but known to have been spiritual separatists in the desert?   Jesus' statements in 7:21-23 might have been similar to those saying wealth didn't indicate spiritual health and good health didn't indicate lack of sin.  He might have been pointing to those commonly viewed as specially blessed by God and saying it is the heart that matters.  I think there's a good possibility that the key to 21-23 is verse 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Matt 7:21 NIV)  If this is the main thought, the remaining verses are basically a case in point that not even the most miraculous things someone might do means anything compared to doing the will of the Father, nor is such a thing proof that one is doing the will of the Father.  

Anyway, these are some of the things I wonder about when looking at passages like this.  Bottom line, Jesus' contemporaries had to some degree formed a picture of God whereby external things such as health, wealth, religious position, etc.  were indicators of God's blessing and approval and that you were doing something right.  I think that to some degree that 7:21-23 could very well be a part of Him addressing such a misconception.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

6 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

1. The name of Jesus is above all names. I am perfectly comfortable with God honoring the name of his Son even in the mouth / or purpose of unbelievers.

2. The answer of the unsaved in the text shows they bought into a false gospel (belief in Jesus PLUS  works). The true Gospel is belief in the genuine Jesus ALONE.

3. There are a lot of false christs in the world. Jesus himself warned about this as did the Apostle Paul.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,295
  • Content Per Day:  7.10
  • Days Won:  99

They hold to a form of godliness. I witnessed this for myself many years ago. Those who focus upon an outward appearance of piety, praying "in Jesus' name"... laying hands on others and praying for the Holy Spirit to be received... rebuking unclean spirits in the name of the Lord... when in truth they are nothing more than whitewashed tombs. Gossips, prideful, arrogant, and insufferably blind even though they proclaim their vision is clear.

The apostle Paul wrote of these in the first nine verses of 2 Timothy 3:

But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, slanderers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness although they have denied its power; avoid such people as these. For among them are those who slip into households and captivate weak women weighed down with sins, led on by various impulses, always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these men also oppose the truth, men of depraved mind, worthless in regard to the faith. But they will not make further progress; for their foolishness will be obvious to all, just as was that also of Jannes and Jambres. 

They foster no love for the truth. Because they love not the truth, God will send upon them a deluding influence (2 Thessalonians 2). These believe the lies they embrace. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

8 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

Jesus is describing those who will be able to call upon His name on the day of judgment. It will be the true born again believers. Those are the ones who will enter the kingdom of heaven. God knows everyone's heart. Just because they are doing those deeds does not make them a true believer. Look at the Pharisee's and how they deceived everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,358
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

8 hours ago, Unit 11 said:

The depth of God's Word lead us to a freedom which exit's only in Him alone:

Matt 24:23-27

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
KJV

The question then arises would a good Shepherd lead His sheep into this after giving us warning?  I believe, as a Independent Baptist, God performs His children's requests in very unshowy ways in order not to lead us into this great harm that will affect a great many! After all satan wants to take the place of God and be worshipped here and only here for there is no other place for him to decieve... Luke 10:18-19. Understanding God has taken the place of here, in the darkness,  with all that it entails and made it moot to the eternal keeping of God... All of this will not remain or be remembered 

Prophetical Promise:
Isa 65:16-17
 That he who blesseth himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that sweareth in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from mine eyes. 17 For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

KJV

The fulfilment:
Rev 21:1-5
21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. 2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. 5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

KJV

If one were to really set down and think of this- then one can see His Word has the ability to place a build of faith into our s/Spirit past this which passes away making room for the eternal that as of now & here cannot be known for it is distinct from that of now.... So eradicate the leaven of sin to nothingness from that is sprang....