• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

blessedbygod, I don't want to upset you, but president Bush goes to a Methodist Church. That is what is so interesting that he would not meet with them...............

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest blessedbygod

you did not upset me.

I knew this, but not all Methodist churches believe the same

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  09/20/1965

No, they absolutely do not. I only have the experience of the one Methodist church, but here is something interesting. The pastor when I was there did not pay in...whatever it is the church pays into the denomination. And the church was growing by leaps and bounds. Like I said, I only have the experience of the one church, but it was a Jesus worshipping, hands-raising, shofar-blowing, tongues-speaking, members-prophesying church. Don't think I ever heard the word Methodist. The pastor that came along next said that the Word of God teaches obedience and they would send what they owed to UMC. Now, the church is dead. Is there a lesson there?

Rafter

Did you read any more of the Sprague story? It's pretty interesting....maybe sickening is the right word.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

Rafter

Did you read any more of the Sprague story? It's pretty interesting....maybe sickening is the right word.

Sickening is the right word.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  182
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/29/1977

Jatfla - great topic!  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.  

Whatever reasons the president had for refusing to meet, I applaud him and I am continually amazed at how much more "Christian" he is than all the presidents we've had as far back as I can remember!  What a testimony that he refused to meet with members of his OWN denomination - perhaps because he got saved "for real" several years back and now stands strongly against abortion and gay rights and terrorism and for Israel.

Rafter - I think your situation has a very clear answer.  I'm surprised no one brought up this verse yet, but maybe it hasn't come to anyone's minds...

I Corinthians 5:9-11

"I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat."

It is clear that if they call themselves Christians, but believe not as Christians in the most important issues (like ressurrection of Christ) then they are worse than the world and we are to avoid them like the plague.

Like every heretical group that crept out of or into Christianity since the beginning, this one too will eventually fade and die off.  

We should concern ourselves with growing in the Lord and reaching out to those who've never heard the gospel the first time...  :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  39
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Our President Bush seems to identify more along the lines with these great United Methodist renewal movements:

The Confessing Movement

Aldersgate Renewal Ministries

Call 4 Reform - For UMC Women

If your United Methodist Church isn't acquainted with these movements yet, get them familiar with these fantastic resources today!