IGNORED

Infant "Baptism" How Do They Justify It?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

It is probably not well known, but the people that came up with the KJV scriptures mostly held the Roman belief of infant baptism. Check out your Oxford history.

It is more a 'cultural' and early socially driven idea that will require reams of ink to really understand and fathom.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, johnthebaptist said:

You can read the minds of people who baptise their infants?

My own mind? Yep. I can also read the forms of my denomination. Absolutely nothing in their about protecting them from hell. That certainly was not the impetus of baptizing our children.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

1 hour ago, teddyv said:

My own mind? Yep. I can also read the forms of my denomination. Absolutely nothing in their about protecting them from hell. That certainly was not the impetus of baptizing our children.

What do you know about other denominations? A group of people within a denomination might find themselves in positions of "leadership" and write documents proclaiming what their denomination believes, but what does that tell you? The United Methodists have a Book of Discipline, but I'll bet 99% of us haven't read it. Do you have to read a long, boring book before you can worship God?

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

Some demoninations baptize infants because they do not think they are saved. All children will go to heaven until the age they are responsible to commit their lives to Christ and know Christ. All children are under God's grace. I know that the RCC and the Lutherans baptize infants. 

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

23 hours ago, Starise said:

I have a question about baptism and what is commonly called infant baptism as it is related to the protestant covenant view.

I spoke recently with a person who was explaining how they looked at this. If I understand correctly somehow through a covenant process what was once circumcision became infant baptism.

Before this, my only familiarity with baptism was the type where only adults are immersed. In that case, baptism  is seen as the outward expression and command of our savior that we were saved. An outward testament if you will of the internal work of God in us. 

This other form of baptism I have a hard time connecting the dots from circumcision to baptism. It seems like something totally different to me.

Is a huge stretch involved to get to this belief or is it plain as day and I'm missing it? So far I just don't see the scripture to make those connections.

The really important question is: what does the Bible say?

If you read what the Bible says about baptism (immersion), then you will not, in a million years, conclude that infants are to be sprinkled.  Baptism is for believers only; and infant sprinkling is grave clothes from Romanism.

Circumcision was a mark of entry into the Old Covenant, for males.  In the New Covenant, this is done through faith in Jesus Christ; and baptism is an outward symbol that the person has died with Christ (gone into the water), been buried with him (gone down under the water) and risen with him spiritually (come up out of the water).  It is also a public testimony that the person is willingly a part of the body of Christ, identifying with Christ and with his people.  Your parents cannot do this for you...

P.S. Also see 1 Pet. 3:18-21

1 Pet. 3:18-21

18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the Spirit,
19 in whom he also went and proclaimed to the spirits in prison,
20 who before were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited, in the days of Noah, while the ark was being constructed. In it, few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water.
21 There is also an anti-type that now saves us: immersion (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the earnest seeking of a good conscience towards God), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Circumcision was to do with cutting off the sins of the flesh, which this explicitly says that baptism is not.  Baptism is the earnest seeking of a good conscience towards God, which infants cannot do (barring a miracle).

Edited by David1701
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90

2 hours ago, johnthebaptist said:

What do you know about other denominations?

I can read their doctrinal beliefs. Most are publicly available online.

A group of people within a denomination might find themselves in positions of "leadership" and write documents proclaiming what their denomination believes, but what does that tell you?

Are you of a non-denominational church? 

The United Methodists have a Book of Discipline, but I'll bet 99% of us haven't read it. Do you have to read a long, boring book before you can worship God?

This is a red herring.

As someone who has baptized their children as infants, my wife in no way see this as a "get out of hell" card. Our kids will (hopefully) make their public profession of faith when they are older. 

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.29
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

2 hours ago, teddyv said:

I can read their doctrinal beliefs. Most are publicly available online.

Are you of a non-denominational church? 

This is a red herring.

As someone who has baptized their children as infants, my wife in no way see this as a "get out of hell" card. Our kids will (hopefully) make their public profession of faith when they are older. 

Reading a denomination's "doctrinal beliefs" tells you little. Like I say, 99% don't know what their church's "doctrinal beliefs" are. They just want to worship God.

I am a United Methodist.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  46
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

To my mind, it is simply that Christian baptism, is baptism as ordained by Christ. Make disciples, baptizing them . . .  disciples are followers who have been taught to follow and obey Jesus. That is not infants, and often also does not include many adults who call themselves Christians, regardless of denomination.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  409
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Birthday:  07/25/1961

On 1/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, Bible_Gazer said:

It was, as I understand it.

They baptized infant because they are born with a sin nature, so they needed to be saved.

Originated from the RCC.

Hi BG,

In the RCC and in (most) CRC, infants are still sprinkled for that reason.

The false doctrine can be recognized by this, that man is born with a sinful nature! 

Edited by Frits

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

5 hours ago, AND IN THIS CORNER said:

The really important question is: what does the Bible say?

That's what I said.