How does one "hear" God?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I have heard several people state they.. Hear God's voice.. or God speaks to them or some variation of that. 

I haven't had that experience and I don't know what to make of it.. Am I doing something wrong?  Is it only meant to be for some? Is it literally a voice or a feeling? 

So to follow the instructions for this Q&A section that says ask one question... It would be.. How does one hear God? 

Thanks for any input. 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  4

8 minutes ago, hdtwice said:

I have heard several people state they.. Hear God's voice.. or God speaks to them or some variation of that. 

I haven't had that experience and I don't know what to make of it.. Am I doing something wrong?  Is it only meant to be for some? Is it literally a voice or a feeling? 

So to follow the instructions for this Q&A section that says ask one question... It would be.. How does one hear God? 

Thanks for any input. 

Typically we "hear" the voice of God in our spirits. It is not usually an "audio" voice.  But then what is hearing but the impressions of sound vibration that our mind translates into meaning. So God to communicates to us, but just skips the clunky sound making part. He speaks directly to our understanding.

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.26
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

4 hours ago, hdtwice said:

Thanks for any input. 

Some things are hard to put into words, and this is one of them. God puts thoughts into our heads. But not every thought that comes into your head is from God. Paul teaches us to pray constantly (1 Thessalonians 5:17), so we should constantly be having a "conversation" with the Lord. The Lord speaks to all of us, but he speaks when he is ready to, not when we expect him to.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,282
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

When God speaks you can definitely tell it is righteous and authoritative; and it never contradicts Scripture.  Often God has spoken to me after or during prayer.  The idea conveyed is often the last thing I would have thought of.  

I do not believe this is the conscience speaking but that it is the Holy Spirit.  The first time God spoke to me was right after I had again repented and was broken, knowing I was lost.  The Bible study had been on how life becomes prioritized and full of joy and peace when we are filled with the Holy Spirit.  It was also about trusting God and praising Him in all circumstances.  I was advised to ask God to refill me with the Holy Spirit, to praise God and thank Him for my impossible failure to do God's will!  I did this and a short time later God spoke to me about something entirely different that gave me hope.

Luk 11:13. ESV. If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Eph. 5: 18-20. Wuest.   And stop being intoxicated with wine, in which state of intoxication there is profligacy. But be constantly controlled by the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord, giving thanks always concerning all things in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God, even the Father, putting yourselves in subjection to one another in the fear of Christ.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,401
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  1

Hello Hdt,

It is difficult to describe hearing from God because it is not actually 'like' anything else. So there is no external reference for comparison. I've previously tried to describe hearing from God as being kind-of-like this-or-that. But without exception so far, the other person has concluded; 'Well then, we all hear from God because we all experience this-or-that' – and so miss the point of using analogy.

If you are Christian, my suspicion is that you probably have heard God, but maybe haven't recognised it yet.

The issue is also complicated by the fact that God 'speaks' to us in a variety of ways. So I am only referring here to the inner voice of the Holy Spirit.

The King James Version of the Bible uses the word “unction” to describe the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

1 John 2:20 - But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

I think this is a good word, but I'm not sure it means much to those who haven't experienced or recognised what it means. I would also consider the following scripture passage;

1 Kings 19:11-12 - Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.

There is a lot of noise coming at our minds; from the world, from the enemy, from our own thoughts etc. God's direction is in that soft, calm inner voice, a peaceful knowing, a gentle direction here or there.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,330
  • Content Per Day:  1.70

17 hours ago, hdtwice said:

How does one hear God? 

Are you listening for God to speak?

By that I don't mean sitting with an empty mind, but actively reading, thinking about and praying about what you read in the bible, what yo read in books that teach one about God or Christianity or what you hear in sermons that ask to explain what is in scripture.

How does one hear God? If you are a Christian, what caused you to become a Christian, why are you a Christian?

As that would have been God speaking to you.

Unless of course all your Christianity is following family tradition.

Do you need to hear God speaking, in the armed forces the Commander in Chief doesn't come and wake up and instruct the ordinary individual soldier, airman or sailor.

He lets standing orders be acted upon by officers and NCO's.

Christianity is similar. The bible tells you what you need to do, preachers and bible teachers expound what it says.

Jesus said if you love me, you will obey my commands.

Paul wrote r12:1+2 let your mind be transformed so you can test and approvewhat God's will is.

Christians are readers and thinkers.

You want to hear God will start reading his word, start serving him, in your Daly life, in your volunteering, in your prayers for those around the world who need them and in your giving.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  90
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,944
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

To try to sum it up simply and briefly, how do you hear other people? Through what they say, either audibly (their voice) or otherwise (their writings, etc.)

How does God speak? In the past, and perhaps more rarely today, sure, perhaps through an actual audible voice. But the vast majority through His Word, the Bible.

Study the Bible fervently. Put it in your heart and your mind, and ask God to use it to change and lead you. He will bring His word that you have put in your heart and mind to the forefront when needed.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,996
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,693
  • Content Per Day:  11.68
  • Days Won:  226

On 1/17/2021 at 9:40 AM, hdtwice said:

Thanks for any input. 

God's word. Today God speaks to us through His word. 

Through true genuine believers. The Holy Spirit gives us the words God wants others to see. Our Christian discernment needs to be accurate for this. We do not want to hear false teaching and think that is what God wants us to hear.

Pray. Another way to hear God's voice is prayer.

It is very doubtful a person is going to hear an audible voice of God.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,282
  • Content Per Day:  3.31
  • Days Won:  30

When I was in Bible Study Fellowship we were told about the 2-3 witnesses to Jesus' baptism.  The Father spoke from heaven, the Spirit came upon Jesus, the prophets of old had witnessed in Scripture, and a godly man, John, had introduced Him as the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world.  God will usually repeat the message He wants you to hear.  You will find it in Scripture, in the Sunday Sermon, in hymns, on the radio etc. till finally you think that God might be trying to tell you something!

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.55

God didn't start "speaking" to me until I had studied His Word for quite a long time.  I have never heard any voice or seen any vision at any time.  He speaks to me in 'leading' and revelations, here a little there a little.   

Example.  I am reading a post.  As I am reading something feels 'off'.  I don't know why it feels off, I have no special reference for it.  Soon I am heading in what I think is a different direction.  I grab the Word and start reading and sure enough right there is the 'off' feeling confirmed as to why it is off and the simple truth right there in black and white.
I can't tell you how often now I look up and give thanks and praise to the Lord God. He 'speaks' to me only through His word.  I believe with all my heart soul and mind that ANYONE who will dedicate themselves to this kind of study will have the exact same experience.  I don't believe it is possible for the Word NOT to have this very effect.  

Like I said it took a while and it was on when I really took my entire life and dedicated it to the study of the Word.  In the beginning I remember thinking, I am never going to remember all this and I don't understand much of what I am reading, and yet I had faith, I believed in the promises He made.  I read through the whole thing, high lighting just to be sure.  Once that was done I got another Bible and started again.  This time not straight through, like the first time but kinda.  I couldn't believe how much that first reading cleared things up the second time.  Then I found places that really hit home and got deeper into it.  I tried to listen to different teachers but quickly discarded them as I found myself more confused.  Then I found a teacher that read and explained what was being read in an ordered manner.  Really brought to light just how important this command is

Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts.

For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:

Then one day I was studying and I don't know what you call it but the Holy Spirit all of a sudden took ALOT of those things I had read,  many without any understanding whatsoever and
"put them all in an ordered story kind of way" is the best I can describe it.  I was left with a picture of the workings of God, HIS plan, and His story through His words.  

Whenever I leave off to go take care of the things of this world, I actually have to restrict myself away from the Bible because the second I start to read it, the day is gone.  Sure I have had the best day ever but the bills don't get paid, the food runs low, the dogs are mad.  I would LOVE to be locked away in a monastery? somewhere with just the Word of God and my reference books and pen and paper.  The only thing that could improve upon that would be an internet connection for the speed because I have to look up the same stuff over and over and over and over, to this day.  At least now I am getting to know a couple things by heart but memory wasn't a gift, though research does seem to be, I think.   

In short, Sit down and read the WORD straight through.  Don't think of learning or memorizing or understanding anything.  Just let what ever part of the story makes sense make sense and what ever part doesn't, not.  Just enjoy what God took so long to put together for us.  

Then start again.  I do suggest finding someone who teaches in an orderly manner.  And no matter who that person is, what they say God says you best make sure you can go read it yourself.  If you can't find it WRITTEN by God,  it isn't OF God.  The better the explanations of "what He really meant" the further you should run.  

2 Corinthians 11:1 Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me.

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

2 Corinthians 11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The Plan of God is a straight forward path.  He created us. He gave us this earth to live on.  We live and our spirit bears witness of who we are.  There is good and bad.  He will return to separate the two and give those who love Him a chance to help some of those who didn't to see the light.  When that is done, as He is a consuming fire which consumes bad there will be a day in which we all walk up to Him.   Those who are good will receive their rewards.  Those who are  consumed, won't.  

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

2 Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.

2 Timothy 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

OUR SPIRIT BEARS OUR WITNESS.  There is no lying, cheating or deceiving.  Only truth.

2 Timothy 2:11 It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him:

2 Timothy 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Coming to you with mistakes because if I go to fix them it will just get longer and turn into a lecture or something 

• Thanks 1