• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,129
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 2/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, anynmsfmly said:

I am actually considering a Nokia right now.

I just yesterday switched from an Alcatel Go-Flip to a Galaxy.   Hopefully we will get to do some traveling this summer and I wanted a bit more smarter phone...    can't post on Worthy  with the Go-Flip.  My wife is starting to have problems using the Go-Flip so I switched us both.

BTW we make a few bucks by putting everything we can on our discover card.   Insurance, utilities and all kinds of expenses.  Keep enough extra in the Bank to make sure we can pay it off each month and not have any interest or late payments.    We've been doing this for nearly 35 years.   Last two years we averaged between $500 and $600 a year.    Not that much trouble to do and if there is any fraud involved discover will cover any losses.  And it makes balancing a checking account simple.

I get a text message every time the card is used for amounts over $5 so I know immediately if it's being used by someone.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

14 hours ago, AFlameOfFire said:

Peace be unto you Starise, I am one who loves threads like this one. I am always searching for ideas to be more frugal. We ourselves have two 21 year old vehicles (so no payments on either of them). The one vehicle has never had anything more then a muffler replaced on it really and the other is in the shop now getting its third engine. By appearances they are horrid, but my husband has this thing about how long he can keep them on the road and save even more money.

Although, between me and you I hide the vehicles when mom comes and we rent a vehicle because I would never let my mother sit in one of our vehicles (lol!)

Its pathetic, but its nice not being strapped to vehicle payments, and living rurally and rarely heading out makes it easier to hang onto old cars. 

When their course is finally finished they will likely be lawn ornaments and be used as gas storage for our mower and our generator, we can store it in them and siphon it out of them over the course of a year.

Our washer and dryers are 20 years old, our fridge (the same). We did buy one appliance (a dishwasher) our old (25 year old kitchenaid) died so we bought a new one that began to leak 7 months after we purchased it, so dont use a dishwasher any more I wash the dishes by hand and just store my mason jars in the dishwasher. They dont make things like they use to, we decided on one of those lehmans wash tubs when the washer breaks down I am not paying for this tech crap that breaks down and gives you nothing but problems, its crazy.

Im a 3 G flip phone user myself, I am highly suspicious of alot of techy stuff. I still have my double cassette player stereo receiver/ CD player my dad got me 25 years ago lol

I do things like get haircuts once every other year or so, the typical frugal person here. I pay attention to food scraps for the dog, shop for clothes at seasonal clearances times.

Gees, I'll have to think of some more.

Oh, I was worried we might not be able to get a well pump during a depression type scenario so we had a hand pump installed. Our water is free, pumping it by hand would be also....I will sit on this one. Sometimes you do these things as second nature without thinking and forget them off the top of your head.

Good thread though, I was combing through looking for more ideas myself, thank you. God bless you

Wow, yes I would say you are a pretty intense frugaler! I could probably stand to learn a thing or two from you.

I loved your ideas on ways you have saved.

I do lots of things myself to save labor. One thing I have found when buying larger things like furnaces is the warranty is voided if you are not a licensed contractor.

I read the fine print on the warranty and most warranties of this kind don't amount to much anyways. They depreciate parts and often do not include all labor cost. Better than nothing. Sometimes not by much, so I continue to install my own appliances heating and air conditioning. I know it's a gamble sometimes, although I save lots of money on the installation costs and can usually get parts for repairs for less by shopping around. 

I would caution that if a person really doesn't know what they are doing it's best to hire someone who does.

Edited by Starise

3 hours ago, other one said:

I just yesterday switched from an Alcatel Go-Flip to a Galaxy.   Hopefully we will get to do some traveling this summer and I wanted a bit more smarter phone...    can't post on Worthy  with the Go-Flip.  My wife is starting to have problems using the Go-Flip so I switched us both.

BTW we make a few bucks by putting everything we can on our discover card.   Insurance, utilities and all kinds of expenses.  Keep enough extra in the Bank to make sure we can pay it off each month and not have any interest or late payments.    We've been doing this for nearly 35 years.   Last two years we averaged between $500 and $600 a year.    Not that much trouble to do and if there is any fraud involved discover will cover any losses.  And it makes balancing a checking account simple.

I get a text message every time the card is used for amounts over $5 so I know immediately if it's being used by someone.

One thing many smart phones can do that some are not aware of including your new Galaxy are "tethering" . This means if you are out on the road and have a laptop computer, the smart phone can "tether" to the laptop using bluetooth or wifi allowing you to use the phone's wifi as a connection for your laptop. Works with ipads too. You have to go into settings on the smart phone to initiate a connection, then make a connection using the laptop and a password you get from the smart phone. Not usually as fast as a home connection but it works!

• Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.97
  • Days Won:  21

Just now, Starise said:

Not usually as fast as a home connection but it works!

Be careful as it uses tons of data when you tether away from wi-fi.

7 minutes ago, Justin Adams said:

Be careful as it uses tons of data when you tether away from wi-fi.

Good point! 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Starise said:

One thing many smart phones can do that some are not aware of including your new Galaxy are "tethering" . This means if you are out on the road and have a laptop computer, the smart phone can "tether" to the laptop using bluetooth or wifi allowing you to use the phone's wifi as a connection for your laptop. Works with ipads too. You have to go into settings on the smart phone to initiate a connection, then make a connection using the laptop and a password you get from the smart phone. Not usually as fast as a home connection but it works!

It depends on the tower you are on.   I've seen 70 meg download speeds out at the lake when very few people are there....   and when we are all watching a movie, the same tower buffers every 30 seconds.   But at least it's there.   We us it off and on even at home when the cable is down.   I might add that our little $90 Alcatel Go-Flip did hotspots... 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  0

If you want money go to reddit there is a system, be inside post some stuff wait 2 months and get 500 karma points. Then go to r/loan or r/borrow and ask redditors to loan ya 50 dollars 100 dollors and give back 20 dollars of interest or 30 dollars depending the interest. but you can ask even 1000 dollars or 2000 dollars. just an idea for ya.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  277
  • Content Per Day:  0.21
  • Days Won:  0

I am somewhat of a minimalist. If I don't need it, I don't buy it.

That being said, I do enjoy being in a beautiful environment as I believe if is beneficial to good mental health. So, I do tend to aquire the best quality available at reasonable prices for home decor and furnishing. But, I still feel that is a savings since quality lasts and does not need to be replaced. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest AFlameOfFire
4 hours ago, Starise said:

Wow, yes I would say you are a pretty intense frugaler! I could probably stand to learn a thing or two from you.

I loved your ideas on ways you have saved.

I do lots of things myself to save labor. One thing I have found when buying larger things like furnaces is the warranty is voided if you are not a licensed contractor.

I read the fine print on the warranty and most warranties of this kind don't amount to much anyways. They depreciate parts and often do not include all labor cost. Better than nothing. Sometimes not by much, so I continue to install my own appliances heating and air conditioning. I know it's a gamble sometimes, although I save lots of money on the installation costs and can usually get parts for repairs for less by shopping around. 

I would caution that if a person really doesn't know what they are doing it's best to hire someone who does.

If only you lived next door to me! I love guys who can tinker and get things up and running because my husband is absolutely useless in that area of things. I really wish he would learn this stuff for a little piece of mind if/when something eventually gives up. I know what you mean about the warranties, I hear you.

We did have a home warranty type thing for the whole house and those too are useless, I cant tell you how often they rip you off after some time. We ended up taking the money we might have paid them and put it into the bank  over the course of the year to pay for whatever new appliance might be necessary because you save what you would pay monthly/and or yearly to them (as a company) plus the handful of service charges (which were then $75 each) and I just found its more cost effective to do that than use them (at all). Half the time you get guys in there who tell you something isnt covered when it is, or that something really isnt covered and its really a roll of the dice.

Would love to cancel the directV, I dont watch it myself but the husband does so... you really cant cancel everything (even when you would absolutely love to do it) especially when there is someone else in the house.

Been combing through our homeowners insurance and what a racket that is, two days of learning how they are steering the rate increases even though you never had a claim and driving crap vehicles (even though there is some kind of ghost discount for those somehow (somewhere) built into the cost.

Enough of my yapping, a couple of more come to me, We use washable napkins for meals (not for TP though, I havent come 'that' far). I make homemade soap but sometimes depending on the oils used it can actually cost more so that isnt always cost effective. And last some services are cheaper if you pay for a year in advance, and so if you have a bunch of services and can pay that way it can save overall for people just as buying in bulk can.

I would pay ya to fix our stuff :)

We had a tile guy crack the tile in our shower, we just use Glad press n seal to protect it from moisture, it works great, beats paying the cost of a new tiled shower.

Hope it holds lol

The main thing from my viewpoint is never ever borrow money unless it is absolutely necessary.

• Thumbs Up 1