IGNORED

Does water baptism precede regeneration?

Regenerated-Adult

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  673
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/4/2021 at 2:29 PM, OneLight said:

I did in the post you replied to, but apparently you did not read the scripture I pointed to.  Sad that you do not look into what others say, referencing the scripture given, as the Bareans did.  Since you did not, here is what Paul said to the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 1:14-18

I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, lest anyone should say that I had baptized in my own name.  Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas.  Besides, I do not know whether I baptized any other.  For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

Paul seems to have the same mindset I have. That if he baptized someone years ago he is glad he has not done it anymore. He clearly says Christ did not send him to do that.

On 2/4/2021 at 2:39 PM, Waggles said:

1Corinthians 15:29  Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf?

Logically this is referring to water baptism not Holy Spirit baptism. A disciple cannot be baptised in the Holy Spirit multiple times and it would be pointless to do this for the dead. 

A strange first century practice I know but they apparently did it. And I have heard on the grapevine that the Mormons do this water baptism for the dead as well. 

I don't see the logic that this is referring to water since there's no water mentioned. The New Testament baptized in Christ. We are baptized in his death. Water was something of the Old Testament.

On 2/7/2021 at 1:24 AM, Frits said:

Hello bro Peter,

I have a scripture for you that the disciples of the Lord Jesus baptize.  What now...?

Joh 4:2 KJV
Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples

John 4:2 is not the new testament. It's the gospels that was the period before the resurrection of the Christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, Peterlag said:

No water mentioned in Acts 2:38-39

1 minute ago, Peterlag said:

I don't see the logic that this is referring to water since there's no water mentioned. The New Testament baptized in Christ. We are baptized in his death. Water was something of the Old Testament.

You need to take off your dark sunglasses as no light is reaching your eyes.

You approach scripture through your own theology and therefore discredit the word of God to suit your own doctrine.

Do it your way. 

Jesus himself could appear to instruct you of water baptism, but you no doubt would inform Him that he was wrong. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

31 minutes ago, Peterlag said:

Chapter and verse Please?

Sorry, you will have to look it up for yourself.

Blessings!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

On 2/6/2021 at 11:16 PM, Waggles said:

Tongues has everything to do with water baptism, as praying in tongues is the Bible evidence of baptism of the Holy Spirit - which is only one side of the coin; the other being water baptism by full immersion.

A person must be born of water and spirit to enter the Kingdom of God. 

As for the voice gift of tongues - to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues - this is one of three voice gifts operated at our worship meetings. Do all speak in tongues? Do all prophesy? No, not at meetings: but all members of our Pentecostal church can and do pray in tongues to God.

All who believe and obey the gospel of salvation speak forth in new tongues when they receive the Holy Spirit, and all are water baptised. 

Waggles here is where I must part ways. Not something I want to do because believe it or not I don't like disagreement among believers. Just understand you are following a Pentecostal line. Same as the Baptists have their line and the Presbyterians theirs. 

We need to get away from denominational teaching and look at what the Bible says.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Starise said:

We need to get away from denominational teaching and look at what the Bible says.

And the Bible teaches water baptism both in the Hebrew and in the Greek.

Water baptism is scriptural and clearly espoused in the gospels, Acts and the epistles.

So let us stop arguing with God and wrestling with the scriptures and just do it!

Afterall God loves obedience from his children.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Content Per Day:  3.60

23 hours ago, Waggles said:

H7585

she'ôl    she'ôl > sheh-ole'
From H7592; hades or the world of the dead (as if a subterranean retreat), including its accessories and inmates: - grave, hell, pit.
Total KJV occurrences: 65

the underworld in many religions.

What is the difference between 'death/sleep' from before Christ died and was raised to after Christ died and was raised?  

I understand the salvation, law and faith parts, not asking about those.  

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  409
  • Content Per Day:  0.33
  • Birthday:  07/25/1961

1 hour ago, Peterlag said:

John 4:2 is not the new testament. It's the gospels that was the period before the resurrection of the Christ.

Sorry Peter,
you never said it had to be about after the resurrection:

1. It is the disciples of the Lord Jesus who baptize.

2. They baptize with His approval.

Everything completely clear.

But if you mean the NT, here are some additional examples:

A. Act 8:16
Baptized, not yet the Holy Spirit!

B. Act 8: 36-39
Enough water, the eunuch is baptized by Philip.

C. Act 10:46
Don't keep the water out, baptize!

God bless.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DeighAnn said:

What is the difference between 'death/sleep' from before Christ died and was raised to after Christ died and was raised? 

I do not think that there is a great deal of difference in either the OT or in the NT.

When people die their bodies decompose or are burned - our carnal bodies perish.

But our souls are taken to the underworld (Sheol) and we sleep awaiting either the first resurrection or the second resurrection. 

1Samuel 28:11  Then the woman said, “Whom shall I bring up for you?” He said, “Bring up Samuel for me.” 
12  When the woman saw Samuel, she cried out with a loud voice. And the woman said to Saul, “Why have you deceived me? You are Saul.” 
13  The king said to her, “Do not be afraid. What do you see?” And the woman said to Saul, “I see a god coming up out of the earth.” 
14  He said to her, “What is his appearance?” And she said, “An old man is coming up, and he is wrapped in a robe.” And Saul knew that it was Samuel, and he bowed with his face to the ground and paid homage. 
15  Then Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” Saul answered, “I am in great distress, for the Philistines are warring against me, and God has turned away from me and answers me no more, either by prophets or by dreams. Therefore I have summoned you to tell me what I shall do.”