IGNORED

A question to those who would promote the idea that some of the bible is figurative and NOT literal

Riverwalker

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

On what...if not the bible, do you base your conclusions on?

Everything in the bible is meant to be literal, even the parables and and "figurative" language that is used to convey a complex Idea is still literal as the Concept is meant to be literal.

So If God said how and when he created the world, what authority do you site, to dispute the literalness of it?

Would the same source hold the same validity if it told you there is no spiritual realm, that there is no life after death, that there is no God, There is no Salvation, there is no hope?

Only the bible interprets the bible.  If you can find a scripture that disputes creation and that Adam and Ever were in the Beginning with God, please quote it, for I find Jesus saying...

Mark 10: 6 But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’

Watch the voice you let whisper in your ear, for the enemy comes and sows tares about the wheat, hoping to destroy the crop

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  4,265
  • Content Per Day:  2.90
  • Days Won:  1

I would not suggest the Bible is neither fully figurative or fully literal - that is, literal in the way we would use the word these days. It is range of genres including history, poetry (which is often figurative), legal, wisdom, prophecy and myth. Each style can carry unique qualities that need to be addressed in different ways.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,393
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

The Bible is God's Word and what you do with it determines the kind of faith you will hold to...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  9,606
  • Content Per Day:  3.94
  • Days Won:  21

I have just spent a mind numbing hour reading a peer review scholar on just Genesis 1 by a Hebraic Phd.

Before we take our english translations too seriously, I suggest we try to get into the mindset of the original writer and his audience.

Those authors are expert at their task. Much is polemic and sets out to extol The Lord High God (YHWH) over all other gods and pantheons. 

To argue points from just our translations often leads to misunderstandings, especially if they are not recent translations that mostly include Qumran texts and other verifiable sources not available to our earlier biblical scholars.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Non-Trinitarian
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  299
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Everything in the bible is meant to be literal, even the parables and and "figurative" language that is used to convey a complex Idea is still literal as the Concept is meant to be literal.

So If God said how and when he created the world, what authority do you site, to dispute the literalness of it?

Would the same source hold the same validity if it told you there is no spiritual realm, that there is no life after death, that there is no God, There is no Salvation, there is no hope?

Only the bible interprets the bible.  If you can find a scripture that disputes creation and that Adam and Ever were in the Beginning with God, please quote it, for I find Jesus saying...

Mark 10: 6 But from the beginning of the creation, God ‘made them male and female.’

Watch the voice you let whisper in your ear, for the enemy comes and sows tares about the wheat, hoping to destroy the crop

Base it on the bible. Seems the vast majority of the bible is double or triple entendres. The bible speaks of a worldly metric and a spiritual mindset, and that they are relative opposites. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.05
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Here is a passage that seems to use literal language.

I agree with what you are saying. I am one who attempts to take the Bible as literally as possible and Gods Spirit guides me to understanding.  I never once thought I should actually cut my hand off and after reading the Psalms verses you just posted I wasn’t thinking those things literally happened.

I think the problem comes in when people try to give things new meaning to fit their specific agendas but in doing so tell you the entire Bible means something other than what it says

Fir example a guy told me he is one of the 144,000

“And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.

These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins. These are they which follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth. These were redeemed from among men, being the firstfruits unto God and to the Lamb.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭14:1, 4‬ ‭

So I said you are not a virgin and even more so you are a fornicator. He then went on to explain that a virgin did not mean one who has never had sex and that fornication was the same as adultery.

I then said you ask me for nudes but the Bible says 

“But I tell you that if a man looks at a woman and wants to sin sexually with her, he has already committed that sin with her in his mind.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭5:28‬ ‭

He then re explained that because I’m not married it’s not fornication he only can’t look at another mans wife this way.

If they are able to successfully twist one or two things with us then they can successfully twist everything.

I believe God has allowed our English translations for our edification and the Holy Spirit guides us in understanding. 

I think it’s important for us to remember that not everyone who reads the Bible has faith in God so

“People who do not have God’s Spirit do not accept the things that come from his Spirit. They think these things are foolish. They cannot understand them, because they can only be understood with the Spirit’s help. We who have the Spirit are able to make judgments about all these things. But anyone without the Spirit is not able to make proper judgments about us. As the Scriptures say, “Who can know what is on the Lord’s mind? Who is able to give him advice?” Isaiah 40:13 But we have been given Christ’s way of thinking.”
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭2:14-16‬ ‭

Haven’t we met or heard of Satanist who know the Bible better than believers? How can one attack if they don’t know what to attack. 

“And I will continue doing what I am doing now, because I want to stop those people from having a reason to boast. They would like to say that the work they boast about is the same as ours. They are false apostles, lying workers. They only pretend to be apostles of Christ. That does not surprise us, because even Satan changes himself to look like an angel of light. So it does not surprise us if Satan’s servants make themselves look like servants who work for what is right. But in the end those people will get the punishment they deserve.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭11:12-15‬ ‭

Trust in the Lord and the Holy Spirit that dwells in us. 

Note: I don’t know everything and have questions but I get explanation from those who go along with the word not against it, and the Holy Spirit says yes this is good.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

. As @teddyv said above, most Christians see that different parts of the Bible need to be read keeping in mind what they were intended to be.  Psalms and Job tend to be figurative at points.  Other passages are narratives telling what happened.  Some things (such as the Law of Moses) need to be understood within the historical context of the people of Israel rather than as regular practice in the church (though it appears from Acts that some Jewish believers continued to observe the Law while gentile believers did not). 

The point being even the figurative, is literal.  What happened to Job and the feelings expressed by Him and others were real. When the bible records what a person said in the bible, it is not necessarily validating what they said, just that they said it

Figurative language is also used in places like psalms to express more complex spiritual ideas. And like John David is expressing in natural terms what he observed in the spiritual reality. (Also it could have happened in the natural and just not been recorded.) Either way it is what GOD wanted us to know

Finally, the truth is not impacted at all by our perception of it, but our perception of it should be impacted by the truth

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

The forth day has me scratching my head.

Genesis 1:16-19
English Standard Version

16 And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars. 17 And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, the fourth day.

If the sun and moon weren't created until day 4, what metric did God use to define the first three days?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,874
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

12 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

If it’s all literal how are women saved through childbirth, if a woman never has a child are they not saved?

1 Timothy 2

15Women, however, will be saved through childbearing, if they continue in faith, love, and holiness, with self-control.

Edited by BeyondET