Waggles

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Many people have difficulty understanding that God can forgive what they did.  The enemy tries to convince them they cannot be saved.  Baptism helps people understand by a physical act of going beneath the water that their sins are washed away and they have arisen as a new person.  In that way baptism helps to give them a clear conscience and to combat the accusations of the enemy.  It is a picture of what God has already done.

All sins can be forgiven.  Paul called himself the chief of sinners because he persecuted Christians and participated in the murder of Stephen.  

Yes murderers and thieves can be forgiven if they are truly repentant and choose to follow Christ.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/08/1978

11 hours ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

Physical water never saved no one

Amen ?? 

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

Baptism was considered so significant that first century Christians were even being baptised on behalf of the dead ... 

1Cor 15:28  When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all. 
29  Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? 

The Corinthians were certainly zealous about the significance of water baptism. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,868
  • Content Per Day:  1.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1968

2 hours ago, Waggles said:

Baptism was considered so significant that first century Christians were even being baptised on behalf of the dead ... 

1Cor 15:28  When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all. 
29  Otherwise, what do people mean by being baptized on behalf of the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized on their behalf? 

The Corinthians were certainly zealous about the significance of water baptism. 

That is quite the head scratcher the practice of baptism for dead.

Paul didn’t quite rebuke it or approved it, must of been either harmless or a minor offense, but the modern day mormons certainly have took it to a different level.

10 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

but the modern day mormons certainly have took it to a different level.

I do believe so; to the extent that they compile lengthy genealogies of one's ancestors so that mormons of today can have full immersion baptisms for their dearly departed to whenever.  ? 

1Corinthians 6:
9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts,
10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

washed > water baptised for the forgiveness of past sins

sanctified > baptism of the Holy Spirit > consecrated, made holy

justified > absolved and redeemed from the penalty of death 

Seems that group were not the only ones doing/saying odd things with baptism in scripture.

here below Sosthenes thanks God He didn’t baptize any he was talking too, apparently some were saying baptize in the name of Paul or something. Sosthenes didn’t want it to happen with his name.

He mentions he did baptize some and forgot about others he might have did but he says he wasn’t sent to baptize interesting verses. 

1 Cor 1

1Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,

10I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree together, so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be united in mind and conviction. 

11My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. 12What I mean is this: Individuals among you are saying, “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,”or “I follow Christ.”

13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized into the name of Paul? 

14I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius,

15so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. 

16Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that I do not remember if I baptized anyone else. 

17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with words of wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Edited by BeyondET

24 minutes ago, BeyondET said:

17For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with words of wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

Given what Paul addressed in the above verses as to divisions in the Corinthian church - “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” - he may have chosen a deliberate policy of not directly baptizing himself to avoid creating disciples to himself. Paul had commanding authority in the first century churches many of which he set up through his preaching and work. 

2Corinthians 13:1 This is the third time I am coming to you. Any charge must be sustained by the evidence of two or three witnesses. 2 I warned those who sinned before and all the others, and I warn them now while absent, as I did when present on my second visit, that if I come again I will not spare them 3 since you desire proof that Christ is speaking in me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful in you.

Galatians 4:12 Brethren, I beseech you, become as I am, for I also have become as you are. You did me no wrong; 13 you know it was because of a bodily ailment that I preached the gospel to you at first; 14 and though my condition was a trial to you, you did not scorn or despise me, but received me as an angel of God, as Christ Jesus. 15 What has become of the satisfaction you felt? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your eyes and given them to me.  ?

Edited by Waggles

43 minutes ago, Waggles said:

Given what Paul addressed in the above verses as to divisions in the Corinthian church - “I follow Paul,” “I follow Apollos,” “I follow Cephas,” or “I follow Christ.” - he may have chosen a deliberate policy of not directly baptizing himself to avoid creating disciples to himself. Paul had commanding authority in the first century churches many of which he set up through his preaching and work. 

those verses though don’t quite seem to be from Paul maybe was from Sosthenes who is mentioned in chapter 18 of Acts. once a enemy of Paul who became a friend, seeing he was beaten by his own people Paul probably visited him maybe tended his wounds had compassion. 

12 But when Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews made a united attack on Paul and brought him before the tribunal, 13 saying, "This man is persuading people to worship God contrary to the law."

14 But when Paul was about to open his mouth, Gallio said to the Jews, "If it were a matter of wrongdoing or vicious crime, O Jews, I would have reason to accept your complaint. 15 But since it is a matter of questions about words and names and your own law, see to it yourselves. I refuse to be a judge of these things."

16 And he drove them from the tribunal. 17 And they all seized Sosthenes, the ruler of the synagogue, and beat him in front of the tribunal. But Gallio paid no attention to any of this.

Edited by BeyondET

In 1 Corinthians 1, Paul and Sosthenes each speak twice in the chapter IMO.

1Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,

paul, 2-9 _ 18-25, to the church, for the message. 

Sosthenes, 10-17 _ 26-31, an appeal, consider brothers.

Matthew 18:20

Edited by BeyondET