• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

18 hours ago, Who me said:

coldcasechristianity has a lot to say about training instead of teaching.

Thank you for the book recommendation.  It sounds much like Lee Strobel's book, The Case for Christ.  Josh McDowell also wrote a short but good book, More than a Carpenter.  Then of coarse is C.S. Lewis' book, Mere Christianity.  ALL great books written by former atheists that includes their personal testimonies on what drew them to Jesus Christ.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  2,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.97
  • Days Won:  10

13 minutes ago, WayneB said:

Thank you for the book recommendation.  It sounds much like Lee Strobel's book, The Case for Christ.  Josh McDowell also wrote a short but good book, More than a Carpenter.  Then of coarse is C.S. Lewis' book, Mere Christianity.  ALL great books written by former atheists that includes their personal testimonies on what drew them to Jesus Christ.  

What were their reasons for turning to Christ? 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

36 minutes ago, Whyme said:

What were their reasons for turning to Christ? 

It’s their testimonies.  Lee Strobel set out to prove his wife was taken in by a fantasy when she became a Christian.  The evidence led him in a direction he didn’t want to go.  Regardless, read their books if you’re truly interested.  I’ll order Cold Case Christianity.  Looks interesting.  

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers

52 minutes ago, WayneB said:

It’s their testimonies.  Lee Strobel set out to prove his wife was taken in by a fantasy when she became a Christian.  The evidence led him in a direction he didn’t want to go.  Regardless, read their books if you’re truly interested.  I’ll order Cold Case Christianity.  Looks interesting.  

By the way Whyme, I ordered the book you recommended.and noticed endorsements by both Lee Strobel and Josh McDowell.

"Cold-Case Christianity is a fantastic book. I wish I had this resource when I first examined the Christian faith. It would have answered many of my questions and helped set me on the track to truth." (Josh McDowell, Speaker and author of Evidence that Demands A Verdict)

"It's a fascinating process, with Jim drawing on his quarter century of police experience to explain how and why the evidence of history decisively tips the scales in favor of Christianity." (Lee Strobel, Author of The Case for Christ and The Case For Faith)

When you commented, you hadn’t seen the 17 page teaching / discipleship training outline.  When I was active in the ministry years ago, we could upload PDFs.  If you were able read through it, you’ll see I did address the importance of proper training in the art of apologetics.  

once again, thank you for your comments and book recommendation.  ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

On 5/4/2021 at 5:55 AM, Who me said:

Something that I have never heard anyone teach on is that this passage refers to soldiers in the line of battle.

How often would any professional army like the Roman legions put raw recruits into the line of battle.

The passage is referring to " trained " soldiers.

How does the local church train it's Christians?

People often point at David fighting Goliath as an example, but David was an expert in the use of a sling, how many Christians are expert in handling the Bible, and he had not only learnt how to fight but had fought a bear and a lion.

What is the equivalent for Christians today volunteering to serve God?

We train the way paul describes by buffetting our flesh. Self denial seems easy but its so incredibly hard. We all will have trials tailored to our weakness/ strengths so what seems so obvious and easy to overcome for us that another struggles with wont be the same test we get. It'll be something that's a stumbling block for us in particular. Whether its lust, addiction, childhood trauma or what have you. These things are enough and the tests and trials we go through are enough and require the armor of God. I feel the training hints at becoming more mature in faith and seasoned so we can we can walk into new levels of Christ. 

Jesus spoke in parables. Not everything is always literal. You dont have to be a marine or soldier to use the armor of God 

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,558
  • Content Per Day:  0.77

the attachment is unavailable.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

1 hour ago, Figure of eighty said:

We train the way paul describes by buffetting our flesh

Actually we train by learning about what it is we believe so we can give a reason for our faith.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,045
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Birthday:  07/07/1955

WHO  IS  IT  THAT  IS  SUFFICIENT  FOR  US  

EPHESIANS 6:15  and your feet shod with the preparation  ---of the gospel of peace---

1 PETER 1:25  but the word of  THE  LORD  endureth forever ---and this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you 

ACTS 20:24  but none of these things move me neither count I my life dear unto me so that I might finish my course with joy ---and the ministry which I have received of  --THE  LORD  JESUS--  to testify the gospel  --  of the grace of  GOD---

TITUS 2:11   ---for the grace of  GOD--  that bringeth salvation  --  hath appeared to all men---

--2:12--  TEACHING  US   --- that denying ---ungodliness--and worldly lusts---  we should live soberly -- righteously -- and godly -- IN  THIS  PRESENT WORLD---

1 TIMOTHY 6:3  ---IF  ANY  MAN--- teach otherwise and consent not to wholesome words   ---even the words of our  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST---  and to the doctrine which is according to godliness ---

--6:4-- he is proud doting about questions and strifes of words whereof cometh envy strife railings and evil surmisings

2 PETER 1:2  ---GRACE  AND  PEACE---  be multiplied unto you through the  ---the knowledge of  GOD  and of  JESUS  OUR  LORD---

--1:3-- according as  HIS  divine power --HATH  GIVEN-- unto us all things that pertain unto life ---and  godliness--- through the knowledge  --  of  HIM  -- that hath called us to glory and virtue---

*******2 TIMOTHY 2:16  but shun profane and vain babbling for they will increase unto more  --ungodliness*******

TITUS 1:1  paul a servant of  GOD  and an apostle of  JESUS  CHRIST  according to the faith of  GODS  elect ---and the acknowledging of the truth  --  which is after godliness---

1 TIMOTHY 6:6    ---but godliness with contentment is great gain---

COLOSSIANS 2:8  ---BEWARE  lest any man---spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit ---after the tradition of men -- after the rudiments of the world  --  and not after   CHRIST---

JOHN 7:17  JESUS  answered them and said   ---MY  doctrine  is not mine but  HIS  that sent  ME---

--7:18-- he that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory --- but he that seeketh  HIS  glory that sent him the same is true  --  and no   --unrighteousness--  is in him

ISAIAH 42:8  --I  AM  THE  LORD  THAT  IS  MY  NAME--  and  MY  glory will I not give to another neither  MY  praise to graven images

PROVERBS 8:7  for  MY  mouth shall speak truth and wickedness is an abomination to  MY  lips

--8:8-- all the words of  MY  mouth are in righteousness there is nothing froward or perverse in them

ROMANS 5:21  that as sin hath reigned unto death even so might ---grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by ---JESUS  CHRIST  OUR  LORD---

LUKE 19:27  but those mine enemies ---which would not that I should reign over them--- bring hither and slay them before  ME

EPHESIANS 6:17 and take the helmet of salvation ---and the sword of the spirit  ---  which is the word of  GOD---

JOHN 6:63  it is the spirit that quickeneth the flesh profiteth nothing  ---the words that   --I speak--  unto you they are spirit  ---  and they are life---

2 CORINTHIANS 12:9  and  HE  said unto me  --MY  grace is --sufficient for thee-- for  MY  strength is made perfect in weakness--  most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities that the power of  CHRIST  may rest upon me

2 CORITHIANS 3:5  not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves ---but our sufficiency is of  GOD--- 

REVELATION 22:18  for I testify unto everyman that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book  --IF-- any man shall add unto these things ---GOD  shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book---

--22:19--  and  --IF  ANY MAN--  shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy ---GOD  shall take his part ---OUT  OF  THE  BOOK--- of life and out of the holy city and from the things which are written in this book

2 JOHN 1:9  whosoever transgresseth and abideth not ---in the doctrine of  CHRIST--- hath not  GOD  he that abideth in the doctrine of  CHRIST    ---he hath both  THE  FATHER  AND  THE  SON---

LOVING  THE  LORD  JESUS  CHRIST 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  496
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

On 5/4/2021 at 6:33 AM, Hopefully said:

I really love this verse and it even what I based my profile picture here on. We are in spiritual warfare and this is indeed our amor that we need to put on daily. 

Actully we must never take the armor off. It is the way.  Night time is a time many are vurnable.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  5

9 hours ago, seeking the lost said:

Actully we must never take the armor off. It is the way.  Night time is a time many are vurnable.

Amen!