IGNORED

Buying a Bible.

Berean

Buying a Bible.  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Bible from a Christian company in which one of its subsidiary companies published a book supporting homosexuality?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/2021 at 08:00 PM

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

Would you buy a Bible from a Christian company in which one of its subsidiary companies published a book supporting homosexuality?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

Not if I was aware of it.

I have stuck to Nelson Study bibles for most of my Christian life

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

What do you mean by published? Is the subsidiary company a publisher or a content creator?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  10/15/1960

3 hours ago, LearningToLetGo said:

What do you mean by published? Is the subsidiary company a publisher or a content creator?

Publisher.

• Group:  Non-Conformist Theology
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  118
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  4,361
  • Content Per Day:  2.31
  • Birthday:  02/03/1953

3 hours ago, Berean said:

Would you buy a Bible from a Christian company in which one of its subsidiary companies published a book supporting homosexuality?

In the past, when I bought a Bible, I didn't check to see if the company that sold me the Bible had any subsidiary companies. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Content Count:  717
  • Content Per Day:  0.35

55 minutes ago, Berean said:

Publisher.

If they are explicitly a "Christian publisher" then I would pass. However, if they are a publisher who happens to be Christian then freedom of the press wins out.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

8 hours ago, Berean said:

I very rarely buy a book new, and particularly the bible.
I get them used like new on Ebay, Abe's books, family thrift and Salvation Army, flea mart etc.
Bibles are not a good seller at resale stores, and prices are way down.
I get new/used pocket bibles and 'The Bible Promises' books very cheap also.
I give them to anyone interested, to spread the word.
Don't care about the book origin, just the destination.
Scatter seed wherever, however, whomever, whenever...
Never know when the seed will land on good soil......

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  358
  • Content Per Day:  0.24

I've never bought a Bible for myself in my life.  My mother bought me one about 40 years ago.  And that's the one I still use today.  I have a lot of notes in it.  About half of them are unreadable now.  I still couldn't bring myself to throw it away for a new one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

12 hours ago, Berean said:

Use the same rules and standards to buy a Bible as you would for buying shoes, clothing, food etc.

If you are prepared to buy from companies that exploit others buy the Bible from the company.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.75
  • Days Won:  149

My initial response to the question is more emotional than rational. Of course most Christians see homosexuality as sin and therefore will not in any way support an organization directly which supports such ideas which are plainly sin. It's sort of like asking a Muslim if they would support a company that makes books on pork barbecue or would a save the whales believer support a company that makes magazines on whaling.

The up front answer to all of these is obviously no for me, not if it is known at the time. Factually I don't believe a small uprising by a few Christians is going to hurt a large publisher, much like the people who boycotted Wal- Mart. Yeah that really did some serious damage, sarcasm intended

The idea of a boycott has more to do with principle than damage to any large organization IMHO. People unknowing of it will still buy the bibles or whatever else is in question if they want to buy it.

I gather the idea here is the head company is well aware of everything that's going on and supports it. This is only a guess because unfortunately not all head companies with subsidiaries are aware of everything since management is left to others. It could also be said a company who isn't really a bible publisher as a main source of their business could have their hands in all kinds of things and still be publishing bibles strictly for financial reasons. Would we try to shut them down? Not likely. What if the person who owns a company that publishes Christian materials is homosexual? You might not even be aware of it. How many people with diversified retirement accounts closely monitor every facet of their portfolio? Where is all of that money going? 

When it comes to buying and selling the world is a huge web and we as Christians are in it. The bible clearly tells us to be aware to the best of our ability about what's going on financially- 

Proverbs 23:22-24-

Though you grind a fool like grain with mortar and a pestle, yet his folly will not depart from him. 23Be sure to know the state of your flocks, and pay close attention to your herds; 24for riches are not forever, nor does a crown endure to every generation.…

Even so, I don't think we can always know everything that's going on with others and what they are doing with their money. If an organization I know of is routinely supporting anything God calls sin, is aware of their error and continues in it then I'll always look for somewhere else to do my business.

Edited by Starise