JohnD

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  911
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,669
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

This is not an "I told you how" to thread, but a discussion about the many ways we are told to

become saved...

And  → IF ←  they just might not be what the Bible prescribes.

This is not about there being more than one way to God. Jesus Christ made that very clear.

No one comes unto the Father but by ME (John 14:6).

This is about the way you go about {being saved}

{having saving faith} etc.

For example praying the sinner's prayer...

walking the aisle...

coming forward to the platform...

public profession...

water baptism...

speaking in tongues...

receiving the Holy Ghost...

making Jesus the Lord of your life...

asking Jesus into your heart...

etc.

And as a bonus question,

Do we repent from sin? Or unbelief?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  911
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,669
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  9

John 3:16–18 (AV)
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Ephesians 2:8–10 (AV)
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

John 16:26–27 (AV)
26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you:
27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

John 20:27 (NASB95)
27 Then He said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.”

Centering particularly on Ephesians 2:8-10, it appears to me that God wants us only to believe.

That is not to say we do absolutely nothing once we are saved. We are "created in Christ Jesus...(saved)... unto good works" Ephesians 2:10. But our salvation is HIS workmanship alone.

Remember, this is a thread about how to be saved

How to become saved

How to stop being lost. 

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,330
  • Content Per Day:  1.70
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, JohnD said:

And  → IF ←  they just might not be what the Bible prescribes

Is God limited to a very limited method of salvation that cross every T and dots every i, or is God love, mercy and grace able to use stumbling, stuttering words, phrases and methods.

Do we limit God by assuming he wants only our theological method of salvation?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  165
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Interesting that there isn't anywhere in our bibles that talk about going down the front of a church or the alter or however you like to describe it. This is a man made doctrine. Now where did Yeshua, apostles or disciples say now repeat after me. Bible simply says that whoever calls on the name of the LORD will be saved Acts 2:21, Rom 10:13. Some important things to note here this is directly quoting Joel 2:32. The text in both NT verses is not Yeshua it is Theos, in Greek which is the same as YHWH in Hebrew not Jesus or Yeshua. In the OT there were many times the Hebrews called on the name of the LORD, Theos in Greek, YHWH in Hebrew. 

Just food for thought. However we are definitely redeemed by the shed blood of the Lamb Yeshua (Jesus) as there is no remission of sins but by blood Heb 9:22 plus many other verses. The above NT verses that talks about calling on the name of the LORD shall be saved or will be saved is future tense. Hmmm.

Much to meditate, and chew on. I realize I may upset some peoples doctrine. I also had this mindset many years ago. One of my favourite saying is that my theology or doctrine is written in pencil

Shalom friends

Ancient

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, Ancient said:

Interesting that there isn't anywhere in our bibles that talk about going down the front of a church or the alter

True that sermons are mostly for believers, but as unbelievers listen, the Holy Spirit will be talking to their hearts. While I agree that the “sinners prayer” is not in scripture intrinsically. But at the same time; scripture mentions that we should acknowledge God before men. We don't quibble over the purpose of water baptism, being a public confession of faith. But that is what it is, correct? An “alter call” is also a form of public acknowledgment that a decision has been made by an unbeliever to express repentance and faith in Christ.

True that the call is not “proof of salvation” but it is certainly a place to start in expressing to God what's in their heart. Lots of churches have mature believers also going to the front of the church to encourage, pray and answer any questions the new converts might have. If the expression is genuine, they will repeat the prayer when they are alone, confirming in their hearts the desire to turn their back on sin.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, because alter calls are certainly helpful. Many an individual made the decision for Christ through an “alter call”.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.37
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

3 hours ago, Ancient said:

Interesting that there isn't anywhere in our bibles that talk about going down the front of a church or the alter or however you like to describe it. This is a man made doctrine. Now where did Yeshua, apostles or disciples say now repeat after me. Bible simply says that whoever calls on the name of the LORD will be saved Acts 2:21, Rom 10:13. Some important things to note here this is directly quoting Joel 2:32. The text in both NT verses is not Yeshua it is Theos, in Greek which is the same as YHWH in Hebrew not Jesus or Yeshua. In the OT there were many times the Hebrews called on the name of the LORD, Theos in Greek, YHWH in Hebrew. 

Just food for thought. However we are definitely redeemed by the shed blood of the Lamb Yeshua (Jesus) as there is no remission of sins but by blood Heb 9:22 plus many other verses. The above NT verses that talks about calling on the name of the LORD shall be saved or will be saved is future tense. Hmmm.

Much to meditate, and chew on. I realize I may upset some peoples doctrine. I also had this mindset many years ago. One of my favourite saying is that my theology or doctrine is written in pencil

Shalom friends

Ancient

I suggest that you read the links in my signature below. Salvation is a very specific thing and only happens in one way. There is no mystery and no special hidden knowledge to it. A 'new' twist is just that. A twist.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 hours ago, Alive said:

I suggest that you read the links in my signature below. Salvation is a very specific thing and only happens in one way. There is no mystery and no special hidden knowledge to it. A 'new' twist is just that. A twist.

Yes agreed. I don't remember saying there was a mystery to it or special hidden knowledge. The language is what the language is. This is what they were reading two thousand + years ago. They knew exactly what salvation was and eternal life. The OT is revealed in the NT. The NT is concealed in the OT. NT wasn't compiled as a Testament for about 3 to 4 centuries later. And even then it was extremely rare. As they were so expensive to produce being hand written. For many centuries what they knew and called the scriptures was the Hebrew scriptures "OT" this is how the Bereans were testing everything Paul was teaching and saying to them. The standard the plumb line was the OT

Shalom Friend 

18 hours ago, appy said:

True that sermons are mostly for believers, but as unbelievers listen, the Holy Spirit will be talking to their hearts. While I agree that the “sinners prayer” is not in scripture intrinsically. But at the same time; scripture mentions that we should acknowledge God before men. We don't quibble over the purpose of water baptism, being a public confession of faith. But that is what it is, correct? An “alter call” is also a form of public acknowledgment that a decision has been made by an unbeliever to express repentance and faith in Christ.

True that the call is not “proof of salvation” but it is certainly a place to start in expressing to God what's in their heart. Lots of churches have mature believers also going to the front of the church to encourage, pray and answer any questions the new converts might have. If the expression is genuine, they will repeat the prayer when they are alone, confirming in their hearts the desire to turn their back on sin.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, because alter calls are certainly helpful. Many an individual made the decision for Christ through an “alter call”.

Exactly this is the parable of the good seed. Time declares where the seed fell. Not throwing baby out with the bathwater just pointing out the doctrines of men. This is serious stuff. Just because one "prays a prayer" doesn't mean it's all good and go on living "under grace" doing whatever one wants. Even Jesus Himself declared to those who said Lord, Lord did we not prophesy in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and do many wonders in Your name? He declares to them depart from Me you who practice lawlessness. 

A genuine biblical study on the word lawlessness is helpful. Are these people "saved" His words not mine. Yes He is a God of grace, love and mercy, but the words need to be understood in the original biblical languages as they have different meanings then our modern English versions. Beware of the doctrines of men. Mark 7:7 again Jesus words not mine. Matt 15:9 Jesus words not mine. Let every matter be established by 2 or 3 witnesses. There are many more than this.

Shalom friend

• Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Content Per Day:  2.34
  • Days Won:  11

On 7/31/2021 at 2:48 AM, JohnD said:

This is about the way you go about {being saved}

You see in your mind’s eye the Cross—ALMIGHTY GOD HIMSELF dying on the Cross for YOU—and you cry out to Him. . .

"Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."—Acts 4:12

7C7FD25F-7567-4EFD-AC20-40D6134F2395.gif.6d5fa4a5f504e1548ea287b0042c00fc.gif

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved." 

• Loved it! 2