truecrosstrueshield

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I can remember gas being around 30 cents a gallon, a loaf of bread about 25 cents, a gallon of milk about 1.00, movies were 35 cents, a new car was about $2,000 and a new home averaged about $40,000, while the average income was only $6,500.00 ... so yeah, prices have been rising every since I became aware of what things cost but so has the income.

I also am on a fixed income, so I get what I need and watch what I spend.  I am still blessed!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,121
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I kind of grew up with my dad's gas station.  I remember when gas was as low as 9 cents a gallon during some gas wars but 25 cents on average ($2.25 in todays money).....    but I made 50 cents an hour at the time...    that's a bit less than $5 in today's money.  Which is lower than minimun wage.    My first real job was making $1.25 an hour and that's about $11 an hour in todays money.   First job not a break in job so I would guess that wages have gone up about as much as prices.   

We are on a fixed income also and often wonder if we will outlive our income.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,079
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

The price of gas would not be so bad here if the politicians would stop padding fees and taxes into it. I tried to do a conversion of price from gallons to liters since in the UK they sell in in liters. They still seem to be paying a bit more but we are catching up.

I don't see how taxing gas and pushing electric cars helps overall because if most went to electric cars we would overload our already outdated power grid.

While my wife and I still work I would say we are on a 'fixed' income too. Our pay doesn't change much from year to year. Retiring would mean living on less which I think we could manage. Not quite to that point yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,121
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 hours ago, Starise said:

The price of gas would not be so bad here if the politicians would stop padding fees and taxes into it. I tried to do a conversion of price from gallons to liters since in the UK they sell in in liters. They still seem to be paying a bit more but we are catching up.

I don't see how taxing gas and pushing electric cars helps overall because if most went to electric cars we would overload our already outdated power grid.

While my wife and I still work I would say we are on a 'fixed' income too. Our pay doesn't change much from year to year. Retiring would mean living on less which I think we could manage. Not quite to that point yet.

the big problem for us was medical insurance before we turned 65.   Made it really difficult.   I was kind of forced to retire at 63 because of some changes in my companies retirement program. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2021 at 10:43 PM, other one said:

the big problem for us was medical insurance before we turned 65.   Made it really difficult.   I was kind of forced to retire at 63 because of some changes in my companies retirement program. 

I was forced to retire at age 69.  Life insurance (is gone) and medical insurance has made life difficult.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Praying! 1