• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

19 hours ago, Hopefully said:

I see it a lot that’s why I wanted to post this. I’ve only been here since December. 

I'm intrigued.  Would you post a link to an example?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

14 minutes ago, David1701 said:

I'm intrigued.  Would you post a link to an example?

I would not want to call out any individuals I’m just hoping if they read this they can see for themselves. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,731
  • Content Per Day:  3.52
  • Days Won:  12

6 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I would not want to call out any individuals I’m just hoping if they read this they can see for themselves. 

The reason why I asked for a link, was not to get at anyone, but to see if there is a perception problem.

Dealing with erroneous teaching is not usually an easy task, since false teachers do not arrive in clown costumes, talking gibberish.  They often have whole systems in place, with intertwined errors, which require skill and accuracy to unpick.  What some see as "nit-picking" could be (note that I said "could be", not "is") precisely that needed accuracy.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.49
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

On 10/30/2021 at 9:37 PM, Hopefully said:

I try to make posts not only relevant to what I see in the world but relevant to what I see on this site also.

This comes to mind:

There is a reason why the Lord admonishes us (and James afterwards) to keep our word (normal conversation) a simple yes yes or no no and why it is so important if we have something against a sibling to go directly to them. In this context, most else is a form of gossip. This sort of thing causes problems, as folks begin to wonder, who is this one meaning to point at. Is it me, or perhaps its that one over there.

For these reasons and more, I find these kinds of OPs and posts problematic for everyone--potentially. Why cast a pall over the forum itself? Who does this edify.

If one has a specific grievance then deal with it according to scripture. A general net cast, can entangle the caster.

Beware. Look to the mote in one's eye first, so that one can see clearly.

• Well Said! 2
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

19 hours ago, Hopefully said:

So what should we take from the article I posted?  If anything I mean is this a useless post?

What we take from it is to beware of the pitfalls of being attentive to details. like anything it can be done right and it can be don't wrong.  

Being slightly OCD I need certain things in my life to be very much in order (and funnily enough not other things) and paying attention to detail has been very helpful

As It can in the Spirit real, the God given ability to read other people and sometimes there "mail" as it is called, can be helpful....IF the word is given in time and in love.

If there person is not in a receptive mood, you might as well invite a skunk in the room

As they used to say in bible college, don't throw the baby out with the bath water, Yes there are negative aspects of nitpickiness, but there are positive aspects as well

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,012
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

18 hours ago, Sold Out Disciples said:

Dear Patrick, I don't generally like to go back and forth in the public forum, but I will add one more message. What are you spreading right now, in the process of dealing with your disagreement with someone? I'm not saying that you do not have a legitimate concern. But, HOW, are you going about it???

Only Peace, Edward

"If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over." -- Matt. 18:15

That's a very long side-blurb you have, @Sold Out Disciples

Just me nitpicking . . .

1 hour ago, Riverwalker said:

What we take from it is to beware of the pitfalls of being attentive to details. like anything it can be done right and it can be don't wrong. 

Thank you for answering my question. I’m glad you didn’t find it totally useless. 

1 hour ago, Alive said:

as folks begin to wonder, who is this one meaning to point at. Is it me, or perhaps its that one over there.

Isn’t conviction the goal ? Conviction is how we stop doing things we are not supposed to do. I used to argue a lot when I first joined then I was convicted so I stopped and I would not change that because God says we should not be argumentative and full of debate.

Should I look and see people arguing and say nothing and just be glad it’s not me or should I try to show them it’s wrong so maybe they will try to stop too? 

I don’t have anything against certain people but this is a Christian forum and I expected it to be more peaceful so I’m trying to see if I can bring more peace.

If you look at my posts most of them are about not arguing. This is not the first second or third post I’ve made about not arguing but maybe the way this one is written is more powerful than the others.

I don’t see how anyone could think this post is harmful in any way. I posted the article with no additional comments and people then said what they got out of it themselves. 

I reached to what each person wanted to say about what they read.

Edited by Hopefully

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

2 hours ago, Hopefully said:

They would need discerment which is a gift of God, He gladly gives to His children, the false teachers lack discernment and have no clue, their eyes are blinded from the truth..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

13 minutes ago, Hopefully said:

I reached to what each person wanted to say about what they read.

Then the post was turned into we must battle false teaching. Battling false teaching is not the take away from this article. 

For me the take away is not to make a habit of battling so much that you battle when there is no battle. 

Edited by Hopefully
  • Thanks 1