IGNORED

Separation of Body and Soul is Unbiblical.

Scott Free

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  0

The term "soul" has been completely convoluted by society and has become a synonym to mean whatever we want. Instead of understanding "soul" as the immaterial spiritual component of a person, the soul is to be understood in the Bible as a living and breathing, God-created, embodied person with a distinct personality. The Hebrew noun nephesh(soul) does not denote a ghostly, insubstantial element of a human individual, but rather the condition of being alive. Something that is alive does not have a soul, but is a soul.

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." Hebrews 4:12

"It is generally accepted that in biblical thought there is no separation of body and soul and, consequently, the resurrection of the body is central. The idea of an immortal soul is not a Hebrew concept but comes from Platonic philosophy. It is, therefore, considered a severe distortion of the NT to read this foreign idea into its teaching.", Vogels, "Review of "The Garden of Eden and the Hope of Immortality", by James Barr", Critical Review of Books in Religion, volume 7, p. 80 (1994).

"Indeed, the salvation of the 'immortal soul' has sometimes been a commonplace in preaching, but it is fundamentally unbiblical. Biblical anthropology is not dualistic but monistic: human being consists in the integrated wholeness of body and soul, and the Bible never contemplates the disembodied existence of the soul in bliss.", Myers (ed.), "The Eerdmans Bible Dictionary", p. 518 (1987).

"A broad consensus emerged among biblical and theological scholars that soul-body dualism is a Platonic, Hellenistic idea that is not found anywhere in the Bible. The Bible, from cover to cover, promotes what they call the "Hebrew concept of the whole person." G. C. Berkouwer writes that the biblical view is always holistic, that in the Bible the soul is never ascribed any special religious significance. Werner Jaeger writes that soul-body dualism is a bizarre idea that has been read into the Bible by misguided church fathers such as Augustine. Rudolf Bultmann writes that Paul uses the word soma (body) to refer to the whole person, the self, so that there is not a soul and body, but rather the body is the whole thing. This interpretation of Pauline anthropology has been a theme in much subsequent Pauline scholarship.", McMinn & Phillips, "Care for the soul: exploring the intersection of psychology & theology", pp. 107-108 (2001)

"That the idea of the soul's immortality as disembodied state beyond death is not popular amongst Christian theologians or among Christian philosophers today has already been acknowledged.", Hebblethwaite, "Philosophical theology and Christian doctrine", p. 113 (2005).

"The Bible tells us that we are spirit, soul and body (I Thess. 5:23). The SOUL is made up of MIND, WILL and EMOTIONS. The "natural man" is governed ONLY by his soul and bodily appetites, because he is spiritually dead (I Cor. 2:14; Eph. 2:1-5). We, as born-again Christians, have been made spiritually alive, and we are supposed to be governed and controlled by the HOLY SPIRIT and our own born-again SPIRIT, which is created in the image of God (Eph. 4:17-24 calls it the "new man"). We are NOT supposed to be controlled by our SOUL. Our soul, which includes our EMOTIONS, is UNRELIABLE, we must not trust it." ,Love Lifted Me Recovery Ministries, "Spirit, Soul, and Body - Mind, Will, and Emotions" 

Edited by Scott Free
syntax correction

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,400
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 Thess 5:23

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
KJV

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  670
  • Content Per Day:  0.43

Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 

2 Corinthians 5:8

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  1,276
  • Content Per Day:  0.62

21 hours ago, enoob57 said:

23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
KJV

When the word "psyche" is translated into soul in the Bible it is not being used in a dualistic way. The meaning is still faithful to the Hebrew definition of "nephesh."  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  2,690
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

22 hours ago, enoob57 said:

KJV

@enoob57, if you do not mind, would you please tell me the make up of these three components? I assume you believe in a 2 part construction of man... spirit, soul and the body.

Obviously even I understand the 'body' component but what specifically is the 'spirit' and the 'soul' components and their function of purpose?  Further, when we die what happens to each one of them?  Thanks so much, Charlie

3 hours ago, Charlie744 said:

if you do not mind, would you please tell me the make up of these three components? I assume you believe in a 2 part construction of man... spirit, soul and the body.

The Bible gives three distinct divisions of the makeup of man:
1761906328_BodySoulSpirit.jpg.a48c778ccb6568323b85abf940730aab.jpg

• Loved it! 1
  • Well Said! 3

3 hours ago, Scott Free said:

When the word "psyche" is translated into soul in the Bible it is not being used in a dualistic way. The meaning is still faithful to the Hebrew definition of "nephesh."  

Paul was guided by The Holy Spirit and he listed them distinct and separate... as I believe in a every word inspiration of the Word of God 'verbal plenary' ... 

• This is Worthy 1

14 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

The Bible gives three distinct divisions of the makeup of man:
1761906328_BodySoulSpirit.jpg.a48c778ccb6568323b85abf940730aab.jpg

Thanks, I just saw a mistake in my earlier message to you... it should have read a ‘3 part’ not a 2 part. But you answered it anyway. 

So what happens to each of the 3 parts at death?

20 minutes ago, Charlie744 said:

Thanks, I just saw a mistake in my earlier message to you... it should have read a ‘3 part’ not a 2 part. But you answered it anyway. 

So what happens to each of the 3 parts at death?

With what God has given us in His Word it is very difficult to come to any conclusions of when new body is given but we are also given final outcome and this is why I like these folks answer: What happens after death? | GotQuestions.org
However the aspect of where the new body is formed from is in question for me because Jude says this

Jude 23

23 And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
KJV

this makes me lean to the fact our bodies will be of the new earth where sin has never been nor even considered...

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

With what God has given us in His Word it is very difficult to come to any conclusions of when new body is given but we are also given final outcome and this is why I like these folks answer: What happens after death? | GotQuestions.org

Thanks again for the prompt response! Just read that opinion... hope you do not mind me saying it but that is a really terrible response. Tries to cover almost all possible theories and really says nothing... confusion.

Let me try this a different way if you do not mind and I would ask if I can have your own thoughts: what is the makeup of a man? How are we created by God? Shouldn’t that be our starting point to determine what happens at death AND then what will happen at the resurrection?

Charlie