• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

18 minutes ago, Alive said:

Of course. This is inevitable. I do not have time to get into this now. Perhaps tomorrow. The gist is…Christ is faithful to provide what we need, even when there is error present. 

Agreed. Christ is always there for his Elect.

• Praise God! 2

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  244
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  7,018
  • Content Per Day:  3.28
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

3 hours ago, Thornbird said:

Parables are not literal. 

The point of parables is they focus on literal things to illustrate literal situations. As Jesus Himself warned, not everyone is willing to be edified by them to modify their attitude, behaviour, and character. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  20

17 hours ago, B-B said:

I agree

...I'm afraid I think it is rather dangerous to rely on  self-interpretation of Scripture. I don't know if you are a teacher @debrakaybut I'm hoping this is not something you teach others? 

I'm sorry I was not clear.  I discern scripture by the power of the Holy Spirit and seek His wisdom so my self-interpretation is guided by Him. 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,249
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  20

10 hours ago, Alive said:

A great many who purport to teach or to be teachers---are not and should not.

I agree with that statement Alive but it surfaces in all walks of life.  In my opinion there is a man in the office of President of the United States right now who should not be holding that position.  Just my personal opinion for comparison.

I seem to have been called a false teacher here in this thread so my comments may fall on deaf ears and I probably will stop responding to this thread. 

I have never claimed to be a teacher but I have been called a teacher in the 40 years since I was born again and filled with the Holy Spirit.  I have also been called an evangelist and have "fruit" and I feel very blessed to have led others to the Lord.  I feel no shame at all in the amount of fruit.  I probably would have more fruit if I had been more obedient but raising 4 kids and working full time sort of tied me down.  I have no formal schooling or training in Biblical Theology but have never felt that the Lord could not use me to speak out regarding His forgiveness and His gospel of salvation.  Every joint supplies in the body of Christ in the way He plans and He guides.  

I have lead a ladies Bible encouragement group in my home for over 3 years and have told them from the beginning that I am not a teacher but only a servant doing what the Lord asked of me.  I will be sure to share with them at the next meeting that I was told in a Christian Forum, "I hope you are not a teacher" because my scripture interpretation and that person's interpretation did not match up. Imagine that.  Many interpretations.  Many denominations.  Many people.  One God! 

I'm not a teacher.  I'm just a servant trying to please her King.  

P.S. Sometimes it is very hard to share thoughts, feelings and ideas on this forum without getting back personal criticism or personal comments from unknown other Christians regarding who we are and who we should be in the Lord. 

Oh, I know it's all said in love. Thank you all for letting me share this from my heart tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.21

7 hours ago, Thornbird said:

Interestingly in this forum and others like it, that's precisely what occurs. Personal interpretation of the scriptures.

Hey @Thornbird😊

I think what concerns me a little is how sure folks are of themselves at times. Self assured about their interpretation, because, well of course, the Holy Spirit showed them. 

Maybe we could all do with being a bit more humble....? 🤷

I do firmly believe that not everyone has the gift of teaching, therefore not everyone should teach/set themselves up as teacher.

There are a myriad of interpretations! A myriad of 'teachers'.

And birds of a feather do tend to flock together, which could  make it difficult to maintain objectivity.

Edited by B-B
  • Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,974
  • Content Per Day:  2.21

2 hours ago, debrakay said:

I'm sorry I was not clear. 

Hey @debrakay😊

No worries at all.

5 hours ago, Michael37 said:

The point of parables is they focus on literal things to illustrate literal situations. As Jesus Himself warned, not everyone is willing to be edified by them to modify their attitude, behaviour, and character. 

At one church my wife and I were part of the preacher said that the parables actually happened in real life at some unspecified time.  That these situations Jesus brought up to make illustrations of what He was trying to get across to the people He was preaching to.  I am curious as to what others think.  I have no problem if they were made up parables but it kind of makes more sense to me that these were real life situations.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,145
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brothers & Sisters....

In this corrupt, decaying & dying world we live in we are told by our Lord God that the harvest is huge(,its immense!) but that the laborers are few.....many folks desire a podium & that can often lead to that ole spirit of pride coming along with some friends.... A host of unsavory fellows!!We will be held accountable for every word & must remember that at all times- are our words edifying,encouraging,kind, uplifting ? Or are they less than humble, condescending, rude, haughty?

I mention this because those accused of being false teachers are often those who are still growing, do not have a perfect Understanding and may be inaccurate on many levels.... But what ( if any) Fruits do we see?Are they willing to listen, patient, show love, self control, compassion etc...? Or are they simply the prideful seeking the podium for their moment of glory?

Yes, the harvest is wide.... Take s close look at the laborer before making accusations- please! After all, how great it is that the true teachers can reply to the inaccurasies- imagine if everyone agreed all the time?,Then we would be in Paradise & we are not yet there..... Perhaps the real problem is that not enough people take the time to LISTEN and patiently offer correction with & kindness( that is what a teacher does )

I truly Believe with all of my heart that most importantly we must lead by example.... Labor for Gods Harvest, He Will be Coming soon enough

Certainly there are some that come purposely to spread untruths, false teachers- these are but the evil ones puppets, pray for them because THEY are not the enemy, they serve him..... And after discovering the deceiver would anyone entertain him? Jesus NEVER entertained the enemy....

Let us pray, let us be pleasing &, acceptable to our Lord

With love- in Christ, Kwik

• Well Said! 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

7 hours ago, B-B said:

Hey @Thornbird😊

I think what concerns me a little is how sure folks are of themselves at times. Self assured about their interpretation, because, well of course, the Holy Spirit showed them. 

Maybe we could all do with being a bit more humble....? 🤷

I do firmly believe that not everyone has the gift of teaching, therefore not everyone should teach/set themselves up as teacher.

There are a myriad of interpretations! A myriad of 'teachers'.

And birds of a feather do tend to flock together, which could  make it difficult to maintain objectivity.

Do you include yourself amid that flock?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,054
  • Content Per Day:  6.48
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

13 hours ago, Alive said:

Yup..I was adding to the thinking. We need to recognize that there are appointed teachers, and we all need to be willing and even anxious to listen…but this in the context of a many membered body under the Head. If and when we all or a local expression, recognize this corporately, we are better off. Looking unto Him….

As planned last evening, I wish to add some things to this and as a response to others who have posted in this thread....for clarity.

This is a huge subject and carries a lot of area for misunderstanding. Context is important. Is the context an internet forum, is it a large brick and mortar based congregation of a mixture of regenerate and non-regenerate, is it a bible study group within that congregation, or perhaps its a home church or even a group sprung up by God's hand in Iran or China?

The Body of Christ is about Life. Its about a very real Life that flows. The source of that Life is the Head--Christ. We have all experienced this, whether we recognize it or not.

Perhaps a brand new believer shares a word of testimony where two or three are gathered. Those that hear are blessed and a sense of the Word is obvious to them--they are edified. Something of Christ was conveyed. Life flows. Not just dead words, but something more. The Holy Spirit within each member recognizing that Christ is there. After all, He said "when two or more..I am in the midst". Jesus wasn't just being rhetorical.

Any brother or sister in the context of those gathered together can be used of the Lord and that at times in ways to surprise. Paul's use of the analogy of a human body was for a reason. To express a very reality. The reality of the Body of Christ being Alive and interconnected where every part is vital when working properly.

Organic--real--functioning for the purpose of building up maturing and manifesting gifts and fruit for the work of harvesting; as a witness to the world and the angels.

Not just words. Not just ideas. Not just doctrine. Not just (fill in the blank).

Teachers are one of the gifts God has provided for the Church and teachers become evident and witnessed to by the members. We don't 'make' teachers. Teachers just ARE. Again--in context. Teachers emerge differently in different contexts..from the small local expression of Christ organically springing up by His hand in Iran to the larger congregation in that big brick building down the road.

I realize that what I am putting forth here may be foreign to some, Read the book of the Acts of the Apostles--which was actually the continuuing work of Christ.

Read it ten times.

:-)

Read how those churches Paul and company planted matured and or had problems and were corrected. There is a great deal to learn there.

Yes--there were and are false teachers. To those who have been exercised, it is obvious and not just according to content. Not just according to content.

The world is a messy place. A congregation can be a messy place. But the Lord is present and He is the Great Shepherd and places little shepherds to protect the flock.

He will never leave or forsake His.

Its a big subject depending on context.

• Thumbs Up 2