IGNORED

Translations.

Ani Tefillah

18 minutes ago, tim_from_pa said:

I agree.  In church when I read the KJV, I find myself ad libbing the ancient thees and thous into modern language.  I will say "speak" instead of "speakest" for example.  When I read the NKJV, it sounds almost exactly the way I ad libbed the language in the KJV.  LOL The NKJV is the only modern translation I'm comfortable with.  That's because in the KJV each English word is translated from the Hebrew (or Greek) and one can even find the entire passage in Hebrew.  While I can read Hebrew I don't always understand all the words it so I can use a translator to compare.  The NKJV version uses 99.9% of the same wording but otherwise talking normally.  

Other translations I find substitute words, phrases or ideas and this may lead to more bias based on the translators' beliefs. 

It must be understood, most translations are made with a team or translators so there's less of a chance for translators' beliefs to affect the final product.  The KJV translators added 8422 textural variations into their final version.  I guess that's acceptable to some.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,116
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

3 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

There 1963 NASB version is a revision of the 1901 ASV.  The Lockman Organization authors of the 1963, 1977, 1995 and 2020 version says this about the 1995 version:

Since then, the 2020 version of the NASB is available.  I have all versions including the 1901.  Holding up the 1963 version to a higher standard is just as bad as the hypocrites who hold to the KJV-Only, in my opinion.  I apologize for ruffling anyone's feathers but that's how I feel.

Personally, I feel well equipped reading/studying any version of the NASB.  But I normally read the ESV and once in a while the NIV.

one test for me, but there are many others:

John 3:16-18

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life. 17 "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him. 
NASB

John 3:16

16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
NASU

The Greek has a conditional inference on the word translated should and shall, and shall is not the Greek meaning of the word.

My Baptist friends use this as a tool to tell me that all one has to do to be saved is believe.....   no matter what and it's dangerous to teach and tied into eternal salvation it's down right dangerous.

A believer should not perish, however there is more to it than just believing.

Matt 7:21-23
 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.' 
NASB

You would be very hard pressed to make me believe that these people didn't believe.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  431
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/31/1950

1 hour ago, other one said:

The Greek has a conditional inference on the word translated should and shall, and shall is not the Greek meaning of the word.

My Baptist friends use this as a tool to tell me that all one has to do to be saved is believe.....   no matter what and it's dangerous to teach and tied into eternal salvation it's down right dangerous.

You would be very hard pressed to make me believe that these people didn't believe.

Wat is your inferance in the words  Should and Shall in john 3.16..i wondered what the diferance would mean.

• Thumbs Up 1

ok got it.sat here thinking. definately should not shall  :) 

the thread picked my interest because i am looking to upgrade my kjv to a more modern one ,accuracy being key. think the updated language would help others relate more.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Walter Goraj jr said:

KJV....Best translation EVER!

The style of the old english can be dificult to translate to children.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  337
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,088
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

There's another thing I don't like about many of the Bible translations, that the origin Hebrew words of the many names of Elohim/God etc, has been "translated" without mentioning what the Hebrew word actually means (says). 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, other one said:

Source: Should or Shall

(John 3:16)  “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.  [ESV]

(John 3:16)  "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.  [NASB 1977]

(John 3:16)  "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.  [NASB 1995]

(John 3:16)  “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life.  [NASB 2020]

The key to understanding is what one's definition of believes in Him really means.  Referencing the Interlinear above, it would seem the ESV and NASB 1977 translations are similar.  In the NASB 2020 version, will is a better translation but not as good as should in the NASB 1977.  But understanding of the text, all the texts, depends on how one understands belief.  I don't believe in the fiction of eternal security, but would have no problem with any of these texts.  Most of my early Bible Study used the NASB 1977.  As I said before, the ESV is what I use now when I'm reading for pleasure.

I agree.

I agree.

It all depends on one's definition of belief.

Edited by Saved.One.by.Grace

2 hours ago, MonicaWife said:

There's another thing I don't like about many of the Bible translations, that the origin Hebrew words of the many names of Elohim/God etc, has been "translated" without mentioning what the Hebrew word actually means (says). 

Source: Bible Hub Link to Interlinear Greek

You may find the above useful.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, grahampaul said:

Wat is your inferance in the words  Should and Shall in john 3.16..i wondered what the diferance would mean.

tie them together with the word not.

Should not and shall not.       Shall not is a definite no conditions not.    Should not has conditions...    Might be easier to say might not.

And there are conditions for there are people who actually performed miracles and cast out demons who will not be excluded who obviously believed.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MonicaWife said:

The word God/god itself in the original language does not carry the same meaning as modern culture puts on it.

There are no capitol letters in Hebrew and the Greek manuscripts are in all caps, so there isn't really any difference in God and god in the original languages.   And it represents any being that is not human and exists outside this world at times.   Our God the Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Baal, Moloch, Apollo and many old pagan gods (fallen angels) are all the same word in both original language.   The Capitol letters are put there by translators.

To accomplish what you are asking (which is an excellent ask) one needs more than a word for word type translation.   And that is why I have a study Bible computer program with 28 translations and an interlinear Bible that literally translates one word at a time with both Strong's word meanings and Englishman's concordance.    Most of the time that is rather overkill, but it has allowed me to reconcile all my questions about the Bible and what it is trying to tell us.

An alternative would be to learn both Hebrew and Greek and try to find access to as many of the original manuscripts as one could.  Which would cost a lot and take several years and who knows where to find the originals.

• Thumbs Up 4