• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  337
  • Topics Per Day:  0.42
  • Content Count:  2,088
  • Content Per Day:  2.58
  • Days Won:  5

18 minutes ago, other one said:

The word God/god itself in the original language does not carry the same meaning as modern culture puts on it.

There are no capitol letters in Hebrew and the Greek manuscripts are in all caps, so there isn't really any difference in God and god in the original languages.   And it represents any being that is not human and exists outside this world at times.   Our God the Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Baal, Moloch, Apollo and many old pagan gods (fallen angels) are all the same word in both original language.   The Capitol letters are put there by translators.

To accomplish what you are asking (which is an excellent ask) one needs more than a word for word type translation.   And that is why I have a study Bible computer program with 28 translations and an interlinear Bible that literally translates one word at a time with both Strong's word meanings and Englishman's concordance.    Most of the time that is rather overkill, but it has allowed me to reconcile all my questions about the Bible and what it is trying to tell us.

An alternative would be to learn both Hebrew and Greek and try to find access to as many of the original manuscripts as one could.  Which would cost a lot and take several years and who knows where to find the originals.

Actually I started a few years ago to try to learn Hebrew (with the vocals) by myself, because I really like the language, and also because I then could perhaps understand His Word better? 

In the beginning, the Hebrew language and alphabet seemed to me like Chinese or something, as the "letters" where so different from what I was used to. 

But suddenly one day, I understood and could actually read some words which had the vocals! 😊 I still have very much to learn, but it is nice to be able to read a little Hebrew. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have another question for you. 

What is the oldest Bible (or New Testament with the Psalms) that you have in paper books? Any language. 

My oldest New Testament with the Psalms, is from 1936. It is a Norwegian one, in what we call "nynorsk" which actually means "new Norwegian", but I would call it "old Norwegian", as the language is not the same as we use today. 😊 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,117
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

10 minutes ago, MonicaWife said:

I have another question for you. 

What is the oldest Bible (or New Testament with the Psalms) that you have in paper books? Any language. 

My oldest New Testament with the Psalms, is from 1936. It is a Norwegian one, in what we call "nynorsk" which actually means "new Norwegian", but I would call it "old Norwegian", as the language is not the same as we use today. 😊 

years ago when I was still working (Xerox Service Engineer) I printed a 1611 version of the King James Bible..  It is so unusable I have put it somewhere and don't have a clue.  Probably in the attic somewhere.   (was cool to have free printing privileges)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, other one said:

years ago when I was still working (Xerox Service Engineer) I printed a 1611 version of the King James Bible..  It is so unusable I have put it somewhere and don't have a clue.  Probably in the attic somewhere.   (was cool to have free printing privileges)

Wow! I remember I saw a Bible (probably Norwegian) in a museum years ago, and they said that it was from 16th century. I guess it was a "family Bible" as it was huge. 

Could you understand the reading of the 1611 Bible? I guess it is of "Gothic" or something like that? I am able to read such, even if it is a little challenging. 

2 hours ago, MonicaWife said:

Wow! I remember I saw a Bible (probably Norwegian) in a museum years ago, and they said that it was from 16th century. I guess it was a "family Bible" as it was huge. 

Could you understand the reading of the 1611 Bible? I guess it is of "Gothic" or something like that? I am able to read such, even if it is a little challenging. 

It is readable, but as you say challenging,     It is interesting to hear someone read it out loud who can put inflections in it like reading Shakespeare. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/08/1978

I like KJV and NASB. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  447
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  0

21 hours ago, Saved.One.by.Grace said:

It must be understood, most translations are made with a team or translators so there's less of a chance for translators' beliefs to affect the final product.  The KJV translators added 8422 textural variations into their final version.  I guess that's acceptable to some.

I understand that the NASB seemingly has more (more recently found) sources to translate from, and it does not look too bad.  At least this version still has the Strong's numbers for comparison.  So in that case, I would recommend it if one likes it (especially since it's the way we speak today similar to the NKJV). However, I can see somethings that brings forth questions, such as the 1995 version I find a passage where the word is singular and the 2020 version it's plural.  It's an important passage regarding the (eternally promised) throne of King David and that's pretty important.  Singular vs plural does not change the meaning of the word, per se, but intensifies the circumstances and I have to question why?  

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

2 hours ago, other one said:

It is readable, but as you say challenging,     It is interesting to hear someone read it out loud who can put inflections in it like reading Shakespeare. 

LOL

Can you hazard a guess as to this one?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, we doe with patience abide for it.  26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we knowe not what to pray as wee ought: but the Spirit it selfe maketh request for vs with sighs, which cannot be expressed.  27 But he that searcheth the heartes, knoweth what is the meaning of the Spirit: for he maketh request for ye Saints, according to the wil of God.  28 Also we knowe that all thinges worke together for the best vnto them that loue God, euen to them that are called of his purpose.  29 For those which hee knewe before, he also predestinate to bee made like to the image of his Sonne, that hee might be the first borne among many brethren.

• Praise God! 1

Paraphrased:    We don't know what to pray for so the Holy Spirit speaks through us in tongues to ask for those things that God knows we need and is his will.   We know that everything works for the best of born again Christians. Some knew what would do ahead of time so he predestined them to be like Jesus.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  11,053
  • Content Per Day:  6.55
  • Days Won:  36
  • Birthday:  01/09/1956

Have you seens the Mounce-NT? It is also keyed to Strongs.

Rom. 8:25 (MOUNCE-NT) But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience. 26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And God, who searches our hearts, knows the desire of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that all things work together for good for those who love God, for those who are called according to his purpose, 29 because those he foreknew he also predestined to become conformed to the image of his Son,

• Thumbs Up 1