Riverwalker

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,125
  • Content Per Day:  9.67
  • Days Won:  149

If I see a subject of interest I might jump in. It depends on if someone else has already covered my POV or answered a question I had about it. Many times I'll simply pass over a subject that has been covered 100 times if it appears to be a good discussion without me.

I could probably put up a list of common occurrences here that seem to repeat the same things only with different people.

There are those who hang around and then there are those who seem to be easily offended or they didn't like the outcome of a thread they made so they never came back. I seen this just recently. They figure apparently that no one is worthy to discuss a subject with them they know better than anyone else. The outcome wasn't to their expectation, so they simply go away. This is really sad because if they would just hang in there and be a little  more open minded maybe  they could have some fellowship here and find commonalities instead of differences.

I only ever put one person on hold because of their manner of delivery. I ended up taking them off ignore a short time later because I don't think anyone's input should be totally ignored. If you only ever hear the answers you like you'll probably miss something.

Those who are into starting and causing arguments and name calling don't tend to last very long here because the mods get hold of them.No need to put them on ignore.

Those attempting to support arguments on the shallow end theologically will stand corrected by those with a better knowledge of the word. They will then either acknowledge their errors or they will go the way of the do do bird.

If I see a discussion that goes off into too many directions and begins to look more like a dispute between two persons, I will tend to bow out of that. I like looking for answers not watching two persons dueling it out with debate tactics to "win" an argument. I am suspect of those who prefer to fight over on the controversial thread and never want to come here. IOW they are only here to debate controversial issues. What is the point of having an exchange with anyone like that?

Mostly though, I have gained a lot of insight into some scriptures and made a few friends coming to worthy. Friends share and allow others to share. That's what friends do.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

On 3/6/2022 at 9:15 AM, Hopefully said:

Once I discovered the ignore button it made my stay here much more pleasant.
That’s how I dealt with it because it seemed to be the same repeats not everyone on the site.

“Stay away from foolish and stupid arguments. You know that these arguments grow into bigger arguments.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭2:23‬ 

It is up to us decide what arguments are foolish or stupid. Once we decide then we are told stay away.

Dey got an ignore button?  ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Starise said:

Mostly though, I have gained a lot of insight into some scriptures and made a few friends coming to worthy. Friends share and allow others to share. That's what friends do.

Ah yes....there is a fine line between iron sharpening iron and iron dulling iron....and its all in the angle ;)

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,323
  • Content Per Day:  1.06
  • Days Won:  5

33 minutes ago, Riverwalker said:

Yes they do lol. For a long time I thought people were just saying “putting you on ignore” in theory lol.

I use my cell mostly but when I did log on using my desktop I saw more features that I couldn’t see on my phone.

• Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,146
  • Content Per Day:  4.61
  • Days Won:  327

2 hours ago, Riverwalker said:

Sure do..... Lol

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,256
  • Content Per Day:  3.32
  • Days Won:  30

5 hours ago, Josheb said:

I'm curious. Would you mind sharing one or two areas in which you've changed? 

• My beliefs were founded on Lutheran Church doctrine some of which I have actually more fully embraced.  That is that I definitely believe in original sin or Total depravity,  but I do not believe in Unconditional election or that He damned some to hell or that He chose some without foreknowledge. I do believe that God has chosen some but that we can resist His call due to our own pride and stubbornness,   I do not believe in Limited atonement.  I believe that Christ died for all.  I do not believe in Irresistible Grace in that He softens out hearts and calls us; but that we can harden our own hearts and resist His call.
  • I do believe in Perseverance of the saints.
  •  
  • Moreover I definitely don't believe that a baby is filled with the Holy Spirit at its infant baptism, which both Luther and Calvin taught.  These are the beliefs I more solidly embraced.
  •  
  • Formula of the Book of Concord: Epitome & Solid Declaration
  • I. Original Sin
  • II. Free Will
  • III. The Righteousness of Faith before God
  • IV. Good Works
  • V. Law and Gospel
  •  
  • VIII. The Person of Christ
  • IX. The Descent of Christ into Hell
  •  
  • XI. Election:
  •                 12 11. However, that many are called and few chosen, Matt. 22:14, does not mean that God is not willing to save everybody; but the reason is that they either do not at all hear God’s Word, but willfully despise it, stop their ears and harden their hearts, and in this manner foreclose the ordinary way to the Holy Ghost, so that He cannot perform His work in them; or, when they have heard it, make light of it again and do not heed it, for which [that they perish] not God or His election, but their wickedness, is responsible. [2 Pet. 2:1ff ; Luke 11:49. 52; Heb. 12:25f.]
  •  Rom. 15:4, whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we, through patience and comfort of the Scriptures, might have hope. Therefore we reject the following errors:

17 1. As when it is taught that God is unwilling that all men repent and believe the Gospel.

18 2. Also, that when God calls us to Himself, He is not in earnest that all men should come to Him.

19 3. Also, that God is unwilling that every one should be saved, but that some, without regard to their sins, from the mere counsel, purpose, and will of God, are ordained to condemnation so that they cannot be saved.

20 4. Also, that not only the mercy of God and the most holy merit of Christ, but also in us there is a cause of God’s election, on account of which God has elected us to everlasting life.

21 All these are blasphemous and dreadful erroneous doctrines, whereby all the comfort which they have in the holy Gospel and the use of the holy Sacraments is taken from Christians, and therefore should not be tolerated in the Church of God.

So I found that my beliefs became more solidly Lutheran in many things.  

20 minutes ago, Josheb said:

Yes, they do, and many people claim to use it when they don't. When the "ignore" feature provided by the forum is used none of the posts from posters put on the ignore list show in the user's browser. If I, for example, were put on the ignore list then that person wouldn't even know I'd posted. When a poster says someone is on "ignore," s/he usually means their personal decision is to discount the other person's content because in order to respond to that person to tell them they are being ignored you'd 1) have to be able to see their post and 2) not ignore them long enough to tell them they are being ignored :wacko:

the only people I ignore are those who have the regrettable skill of easily triggering me.  My weakness

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

I don't click on the “see unread content” or “new content” and read every new post that gets posted since my last visit. If I see something on the home page that catches my eye and interest, and if I feel led to post... I will.

Otherwise, I don't have the need to get in as many posts as possible in one day. Its just not that important. Sometimes I only respond once to a post, sometimes multiple if there is a need. In that way, I try to avoid sounding combative. I don't need it, and the other person I am conversing with, doesn't need it.

Sometimes letting something go, is easier said, than done. Lets face it, we've all posted at times a post that wasn't very noble or edifying. We've all been there.

God, grant me the serenity to 
accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference 

Reinhold Niebuhr 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  514
  • Topics Per Day:  0.23
  • Content Count:  3,196
  • Content Per Day:  1.43
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, kwikphilly said:

Blessings Brothers & Sisters......

I do like the title of this thread, what sparked my interest is " when to be silent". When we remain silent we are able to hear well , this is something that took me many years to learn and also to be obedient to Holy Spirit prompting me to be quiet.. Its the spirit of pride that is the hindrance and the culprit instigating the sleeping Christian who rants on & on in his flesh, does not recognize or see all the red flags , the need for self control, discipline and staying fixed on Jesus( eyes wide open- eyes of Understanding)

So what exactly am I saying? Lol.  Im saying that it does not matter if the argumentative, know it all is a Christian for 50yrs- this is a sign of immaturity and of bondage.... If one cannot or will not take captive their thoughts to subject all things before Christs Authority then they have plenty of room to grow and are bound by the desires of the flesh

How do we deal with it, it?Its simple- we dont! Holy Spirit is the Only One Able to deal with that, Able to soften & convict a heart, Enlighten, Reveal and Bless with Wisdom & Understanding.... So, if we are not walking in Spirit & posting by the Power of  Holy Spirit with the Heart & Mind of Christ then take a break, pray & listen

We are only accountable for our own words, actions & reactions- be sure what you say to others is WORTHY to Represent Christ Jesus...

It takes 2 to argue & make a discussion go south, dont partake if its headed that way and its over that quickly unless someone else feeds the fire- our opinions are not that urgent or important but our love, kindness , consideration & compassion is

With love- in Christ Kwik

The wisdom and maturity did not come overnight, be so blessed in that which give it…

A fellow believer, Not me