Guest Jesus-lives

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

So why doesn't God just cause the stupid sinners to cease to exist. It seems to me that that would show a bit more compassion to the lost. :b:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From our perspective it might seem that way. But, understanding that God is infinitely holy it would seem as though man could never, ever, fully repay the debt owed for one single sin.

Annihilation does not incorporate the supremely infinite justice of God. It would in essense allow mankind a lifetime of sin and rebellion against a righteous and holy God with no punishment whatsoever.

Heaven is a reward to the faithful. Not receiving the reward is not enough to make up for a lifetime of sin.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  477
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

So why doesn't God just cause the stupid sinners to cease to exist. It seems to me that that would show a bit more compassion to the lost. :b:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because- who knows when this "stupid sinner" will repent and get saved...I'm sure glad He was patient with me and gave me the opportunity to repent rather than cause me to "cease to exist" :b:

God bless,

Tim

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because- who knows when this "stupid sinner" will repent and get saved...I'm sure glad He was patient with me and gave me the opportunity to repent rather than cause me to "cease to exist" :b:

God bless,

Tim

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I meant after death. I have always had the impression that Heaven was more than a reward for being obedient. It is something to be strived for so that me may spend eternity in a better place. The ultimate place. :) Should we try to go through life trying to stay out of hell? Or should we approach life with eager anticipation of a greater existance. If evil is the absence of God, why can't Heaven be a place that is absent of sinners or sin and let those people who are ignorant of God's holy awesomeness just vanish into oblivion? :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  710
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Birthday:  10/16/1984

In my view, for us (humans), the alternative to Heaven is eternal death, as it so often says, as opposed to eternal suffering, which, to my knowledge is mentioned only in a single parable.

But Hell as Eternal Suffering is more usefull as a scare tactic, which was so popular during the Great Revivals of American History ("Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God", anyone?)

Annihilation does not incorporate the supremely infinite justice of God. It would in essense allow mankind a lifetime of sin and rebellion against a righteous and holy God with no punishment whatsoever.

I would say not spending eternity in the presence of God is punishment

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name."

Seems a fitting punishment for one who worshipped Satan. But why should the Dalai Llama share the punishment of one who worshipped Satan?

Edited by arsonist

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Where does the Scripture say that humans will suffer eternally in hell?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (Rev 20:15)

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name." (Revelation 14:11)

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I would point out that 20:15 simply says they are cast into the lake of fire, nothing about 'eternity' there. 20:10 says the devil is cast into the lake of fire and shall be tormented forever and ever.

The only one you've got, it appears (I'll have to go to my Bible later and look it up to be sure), is 14:11.

Gotta' go walk the dogs; they're whining and pawing at the door!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leonard, 14:11 is only talking about those who worship the beast and/or take his mark. Not the every day sinner that has not been given the task of that decision. The context of the subject there is that those who worship the beast have the same punishment of Satan and must also withstand the full wrath of God in the end.

But whether or not is is eternal punishment, or punishment for eternity, my fondest hope is to not be among either.... :b:

• Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Where does the Scripture say that humans will suffer eternally in hell?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." (Rev 20:15)

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name." (Revelation 14:11)

"And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever." (Revelation 20:10)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. I would point out that 20:15 simply says they are cast into the lake of fire, nothing about 'eternity' there. 20:10 says the devil is cast into the lake of fire and shall be tormented forever and ever.

The only one you've got, it appears (I'll have to go to my Bible later and look it up to be sure), is 14:11.

Gotta' go walk the dogs; they're whining and pawing at the door!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Leonard, 14:11 is only talking about those who worship the beast and/or take his mark. Not the every day sinner that has not been given the task of that decision. The context of the subject there is that those who worship the beast have the same punishment of Satan and must also withstand the full wrath of God in the end.

But whether or not is is eternal punishment, or punishment for eternity, my fondest hope is to not be among either.... :b:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

amen

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From our perspective it might seem that way. But, understanding that God is infinitely holy it would seem as though man could never, ever, fully repay the debt owed for one single sin.

Heaven is a reward to the faithful. Not receiving the reward is not enough to make up for a lifetime of sin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or He could just let you burn in Hell for the amount of your lifetime, and then annihilate you...... that sounds fair to me.... and besides, even if he just poofed us away at the moment of our death... to miss being with Him for even a short while would be bad enough,,,,, but for eternity........ not worth a lifetime of anything.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

De 32:22

For a fire is kindled in mine anger, and shall burn unto the lowest hell, and shall consume the earth with her increase, and set on fire the foundations of the mountains.

2Sa 22:6

The sorrows of hell compassed me about; the snares of death prevented me;

Job 11:8

It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do ? deeper than hell; what canst thou know ?

Job 26:6

Hell is naked before him, and destruction hath no covering.

Ps 9:17

The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God.

Ps 16:10

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

Ps 18:5

The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.

Ps 55:15

Let death seize upon them, and let them go down quick into hell: for wickedness is in their dwellings, and among them.

Ps 86:13

For great is thy mercy toward me: and thou hast delivered my soul from the lowest hell.

Ps 116:3

The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow.

Ps 139:8

If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

Pr 5:5

Her feet go down to death; her steps take hold on hell.

Pr 7:27

Her house is the way to hell, going down to the chambers of death.

Pr 9:18

But he knoweth not that the dead are there; and that her guests are in the depths of hell.

Pr 15:11

Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?

Pr 15:24

The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.

Pr 23:14

Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell.

Pr 27:20

Hell and destruction * are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

Isa 5:14

Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.

Isa 14:9

Hell from beneath is moved for thee to meet thee at thy coming: it stirreth up the dead for thee, even all the chief ones of the earth; it hath raised up from their thrones all the kings of the nations.

...yeah....sure.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

No, actually you should have written, "'Hell' as it is translated does not match the popular doctrinal concept that we adhere to today."

There has been an ongoing debate over this for hundreds of years, Tubal. Some believe that hell is the grave, and some believe it's a place of eternal torment.

I personally believe that the hell of Revelation has a specific purpose, and that the second death means complete annihilation.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  1,091
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name."

Seems a fitting punishment for one who worshipped Satan. But why should the Dalai Llama share the punishment of one who worshipped Satan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because those who are not Christ's are Satan's by default.

Joh 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.

Joh 8:43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word.

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

1Jo 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Jo 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.