• Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

4 minutes ago, Anne2 said:

I couldn't think to name all the different Orthodox like you just did. I knew there were more but was not sure which they were.

I could not either, I had to look them up, and I did not know about the Maronite Church! My next door neighbor is Armenian Apostolic Orthodox, had I not met him, I probably would never have looked much into the history of catholic (small c) church history, That denomination has some interesting and apparently legitimate claims to being very early.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,499
  • Content Per Day:  1.47
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Marathoner said:

Nice graphic, and a timely message regarding the meaning of words!

Over the years, my old friend Paul became a scholar of Church history. When we were catching up after decades of being apart, I asked him about Orthodox history.

He laughed and said, do you have a few months to spare? It's not as simple as some believe... and he proceeded to shed a little light upon Eastern Catholic churches, different liturgical rites, and so on. 

Not cut and dried at all!

I remember going to the Greek orthodox church, to ask for any material thy might have or recommen that a protestant mind might understand. At the time it was to hopefully answer my Catholic father since he had taken to badgering me. So what I was looking for was schism in the Church, as a defense against his claims of original Church, and protestant denominations not agreeing. I had hoped I could at least get him to stop on those fronts. One thing I remember reading was a Greek bishop hinted that he was the head of the Church, not just one among equals. That didn't come to much. It was the Roman bishop of all people that said those sorts of claims are nothing short of anti-christ. I mean wow! That was obviously long before the the Roman bishop made the same claim many years and bishops later of course. I read a lot of fascinating stuff in that book. Another thing I read in another was the eucharistic assembly was the single thing among them all to begin with. Just the partaking of communion. Simple.

Edited by Anne2

17 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

I could not either, I had to look them up, and I did not know about the Maronite Church! My next door neighbor is Armenian Apostolic Orthodox, had I not met him, I probably would never have looked much into the history of catholic (small c) church history, That denomination has some interesting and apparently legitimate claims to being very early.

Oh yes, very early...each has a list. The Eastern fathers western fathers etc. right from the apostles on. Sometimes I think some of the baby has been thrown out with bathwater so to speak. There were some reformers that did become Orthodox. Don't know who they were, I just read it somewhere. Oh I also read in those books I got from the Greek Orthodox Church was, the protestant revolt was the fruit basically of the Roman bishops own schism from the Church. We were the fruit of his own attitude towards the rest of the authority of the other bishops. Until he was restored and healed difficulty would be for us as well.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,269
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

Listening to this discussion I hear much talk about respecting other peoples denominations/beliefs and not be offensive.

I have many loyal Roman Catholic friends/relatives, who do not read scripture, and believe as long as someone goes to church they will be OK.

Anyone here with enough chutzpah to tell me what you would do in this situation?
Would you try to share with them what the word says about salvation in case they do not know, and chance offending them and their beliefs? Should I tell them what God says about some of their church traditions that the bible forbids?  Or should I in love just be agreeable and simply wish them well, and stay in good grace?
What would you really do if they were your aunt or cousins, friends?
Thank you for any input.

22 minutes ago, Sower said:

Listening to this discussion I hear much talk about respecting other peoples denominations/beliefs and not be offensive.

I have many loyal Roman Catholic friends/relatives, who do not read scripture, and believe as long as someone goes to church they will be OK.

Anyone here with enough chutzpah to tell me what you would do in this situation?
Would you try to share with them what the word says about salvation in case they do not know, and chance offending them and their beliefs? Should I tell them what God says about some of their church traditions that the bible forbids?  Or should I in love just be agreeable and simply wish them well, and stay in good grace?
Thank you for any input.

Why do you think There was even an apostolic council? They sent a letter to the churches for Dogma! A decree from the apostles. Sola scriptura Has never been biblical. That only became poular with the printing press and Luther. I never thought I would find myself saying this but it is a fact. The seat of Moses was such a thing. Nothing "sectarian" came from that seat. The high priest was chief justice in that council. Therefore anything the judges brought to that court for decision had to be approved by the high priest. Read Deuteronomy 17.

That is why Jesus said to listen to them as from that seat. But not to do as they do. John the baptist and Jesus warned of their leven, myths, wives tales etc. As a sect they practiced differently than what was "LAW". If they could not agree it was not law  and remained a disputable matter. Oral law as the Rabbis claim was given to them is specious. There was no need for an oral law, as they claim. The high priest on his breasrplate of decision had the Urim and Thumim to consult God directly. The priesthood was the teaching authority in Israel, a shadow of the holy spirit in attendance. The Rabbis usurped that authority when the temple was destroyed. Urim and thummim lost? God took care of that.

Joh 11:51  And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;

Edited by Anne2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

16 minutes ago, Sower said:

Thank you for any input.

Start with praying for them, and getting others to pray for them. Prayer is crucial. Then share what the bible says, what the gospel message is. 

Telling them insulting things does not get folks to listen. The old saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar applies. 

Also remember the apostle Paul said 

1 Corinthians 13
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ayin jade said:

Start with praying for them, and getting others to pray for them. Prayer is crucial. Then share what the bible says, what the gospel message is. 

Telling them insulting things does not get folks to listen. The old saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar applies. 

Also remember the apostle Paul said 

1 Corinthians 13
1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

Maybe we could also say some prayers for ourselves as well. That we might begin to heal our own divisions of what scripture says  so we can begin to tell them?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  7,884
  • Content Per Day:  2.41
  • Days Won:  3

57 minutes ago, Sower said:

Thank you for any input.

I am not very please with the way you have describe them, and they way you think about them. 

In paragraph two, the first allegation is that they do not read scripture, and the second is that they believe that as long as someone goes to church he will be OK. 

I am sure that you know that someone is Justified in the eyes Jesus Christ because he believes that Jesus Christ died for the forgiveness of their sins...the scripture says with the heart man believes unto righteousness, or when anyone believes that Jesus Christ died for the forgiveness of our sins, his sins are forgiven...he is in the righteousness of Jesus Christ, that can happen without someone reading the scriptures and outside any church...

They do not have to be disciples and teachers of the Gospel to be in the righteousness of Jesus Christ.  They only need to believe, by faith alone...

This how God wanted it to be, and he has no regrets about it.

(The one who complain about that is the Devil, and for obvious reasons).

(Just do not bring the Devil in the picture, because you are going to make everything ugly).

Edited by Your closest friendnt
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,317
  • Content Per Day:  7.11
  • Days Won:  99

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Is Mary co-redemptrix with Christ (Isaiah 43:11)?

Is salvation by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-10)?

Here's my suggestion: why don't you ask a Roman Catholic? 

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.41
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Just as another side note, if we are holding out on joining a local body of believers until we find one we can agree with on all points of doctrine, practice and style, we probably should start out own assembly, and be the only member. The problem with that, is no one helps us when we need it, we may not haave visibility of other who need us, and we certainly won't have the community of gathering together as we are instructed to do. 

I have only be a Christian for a tad over 4 decades, but I have been a serious one all that time. In that time, I did come across one church, that I could find no fault with (unless one considers having no formal worship times with professional quality music leaders, and not enough people to have a large budget for expansive ministries to be critical).

I had no theological disagreements there (rare for me, lol) and the fellowship was great, teaching was great, everyone participated (there were no "pew potatoes") and we all did works of service in the community. It was really a great experience. Driving over 2 hours from home to church each way (when the traffic was good) was an inconvenient though.

So, now I compromise, knowing that even though I do not agree with my pastors on some things theologically speaking, the teaching is generally very sound. I may not always like some projects they allocate funds to, on other things I am very on board. It is a mixed bag. There are no pervect churches, because there are not perfect people.

What I think is important, at least for me personally, is to look at a church, not for what it can do for me, but what I can do for others there.

We all have times, talent, and treasure. How do we use it? If I can hammer nails, use a paint roller, teach, watch over kids, vacuum carpets, organize, file, research, work in the clothing ministry or food panty, etc. then that is reason enough to be there. Most of us can do something, and if there are those who really cannot, then they are an oportunity for others to be a conduit for the love of Christ! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1