laughing at the bible

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Have you ever had something bad happen to you and the other person laughs? 

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.56
  • Days Won:  15

14 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Have you ever had something bad happen to you and the other person laughs? 

That’s not what we are suppose to do: 

Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.” (Romans 12:15) 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  217
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Some find this humorous...

Jdg_14:18  And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

24 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Yeah I agree. Scripture is serious, it tells us how to be saved, how to know The Holy Trinity, everything you need to know for Sound Doctrine & Sound Teaching, and Life Lessons. To look for humor is verging on irreverence IMHO. 

The Bible is not Seinfeld. 

No one said that the Bible is Seinfield.

You don't find the excuse from the lazy man in Proverbs that "there might be a lion in the streets that will kill him" a ridiculous and laughable excuse.

King Solomon is serious about laziness and the Bible is serious about sloth.

But the excuse is laughable.  Not "ha-ha" as in a comedy club, but laughable in that it fails to be an excuse.

• Well Said! 1

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.80
  • Days Won:  226

Should we mock God and His Word?

• Topic Count:  71
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,137
  • Content Per Day:  7.06
  • Days Won:  97

No one is laughing at nor mocking the words of the Lord. Consider Jonah.

When the Lord commanded Jonah to speak His word to the Ninevites, the prophet did the opposite: he went to Joppa, found a ship sailing to Tarshish, paid his fare, and boarded so he could escape from the Lord. 

We see how that worked out. :whistling:

However, the Lord hurled a great wind on the sea and there was a great storm on the sea, so that the ship was about to break up. Then the sailors became afraid and every man cried out to his god, and they hurled the cargo which was in the ship into the sea to lighten it for them. But Jonah had gone below into the stern of the ship, had lain down, and fallen sound asleep. So the captain approached him and said, “How is it that you are sleeping? Get up, call on your god! Perhaps your god will be concerned about us so that we will not perish.” (Jonah 1:4-6 NASB)

A boatload of pagans were terrified on account of Jonah's disobedience. Little did they know what would happen next. The truth came out: all of this was happening on account of Jonah the bonehead, who foolishly believed that he could flee from the presence of the Lord. 

An astonishing thing happened when they threw Jonah overboard:

So they picked up Jonah and hurled him into the sea, and the sea stopped its raging. Then the men became extremely afraid of the Lord, and they offered a sacrifice to the Lord and made vows. (Jonah 1:15-16 NASB)

All of the pagans on that ship knew the fear of the Lord, and they made vows to Him. Impressive! :cool:

• Well Said! 1

• Topic Count:  107
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,820
  • Content Per Day:  1.30
  • Days Won:  2

25 minutes ago, missmuffet said:

Should we mock God and His Word?

Who has mocked God here?

Who is mocking his Word?

God wrote the Bible and did indeed interject a slight trace of humor in his Word in a few places.  Granted, it's a sophisticated humor that is more like irony, satire, incongruity [surprise], or even God laughing [at those who think they can outdo him].

No one is mocking God. 

I think the title of this thread should be changed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Content Per Day:  9.76
  • Days Won:  149

I don't really know what to make of a post like this and since @creativemechanic seems to ignore pretty much anything I post I hesitate to comment on another post.

I believe God wants us all to eventually be happy and light hearted. I'm not having the best day today and so I'm not really feelin' it. We all have our ups and downs whatever they may be.

Ask yourself why God made us to laugh at funny things?  I don't think humor is a sin. 

I know I know, this thread is about laughing about or finding funny things in the bible. Much like the bible isn't a book of science, we can find scientific things in it. The bible isn't a book of humor, but there is some humor in it all depending on how you look at it. To look at the bible for humor is probably the wrong thing to do since it really isn't that kind of a book. It would be like me reading a book on the operation of a 747 and the author decided to intersperse humor all though it. I would not appreciate that knowing this book will be responsible for me learning how to stay alive in a multi million dollar machine in the air. Instruction number 545c,- See that little thing there next to the altimeter? That's a clown horn. It really serves no purpose but to make noise when you squeeze it. We like to add silly to our flight instruction. Have fun and stay alive!

Often when a subject like this comes up, the subject of Jesus comes up. Was he in a good light frame of mind as He walked with His disciples through the corn field or when they were in the boat? Jesus was clear that He didn't mind the little children coming to Him. Lots of people like to think Jesus was a great guy to be around. Not a Mr. Sourpuss. I tend to think Jesus fostered and encouraged all positive uplifting activity. He might have cracked a smile at something humorous.

I always thought the story  where the kids made fun of the prophet's bald head and a bear came after them had a tinge of humor in it, even though things didn't run out so well for them. Lesson- Don't make fun of bald prophets.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  204
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

The laugh of the believer can exist while contemplating God's Word, yes. Even Sarah laughed because of God's word for her, and God went with it and named her son Isaac, a name related to laughter.

I would change the title, because no one is laughing at the Bible.

The Bible is an ancient book, telling us a very serious story, using people who we often and easily perceive as too far apart from us. But when we pay attention, we can see their personalities and how God is so merciful to receive them even with their idiosyncrasies. The exemple that I gave, I can be speaking out of my ignorance, but I do smile at Jacob's stubborn gesture, of exchanging the blessing by crossing his hands. He lived so many years, learnt so many things, yet...

So, I do find it "funny", because I can relate to this. Humour is the easiest and fastest way to feel at ease.

The patience God has with us is endearing, it moves me and fills me up with joy, so much that this joy sometimes turns into a laugh: The laugh of joy that we can only give because God constantly shows His benevolence towards us, silly, stupid people.

Edited by Abrielle
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

Honestly , some people tend to ruin things by being so uptight. Read what I said before I gave the examples. This in no way disrespects the scripture, its just pointing out humorous events that happened in the stories.

Another amusing one-

Acts 19: Some men try exorcise a demon using " the Jesus Paul preaches of" while not being actual disciples. Basically trying to ride on Paul and Jesus' coattails. The demon tells them- I know Paul and I know Jesus, who are you? Then proceeds to beat the stuffing out of the men  and strip them naked.

A good lesson is not to mix up in things where you dont have the spiritual authority to.

• Thumbs Up 1