IGNORED

What to do about protection from dogs in my neighborhood when I walk ? A specific one, I think, as well ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07
  • Days Won:  0

I have a, {problem}, Which will be posted in {Have a Problem}, as well. 

If you have a hostile, {Or perhaps more than one, But one specifically}, There is a hostile, big dog in my neighborhood when I walk that comes barreling up to the screen, Along with the littler ones who come after him. 

I would prefer it if my method of protection isn't so.... Well, I would prefer it if my method of deterrence isn't violence.

I carry pepper spray, But should Is start carrying milk bones ? A ribeye steak ? A can of dog food to throw in the other direction ?

I really don't know what to do about this, Until something were to happen and I honestly believe this dog may have the strength to kill someone, Specifically me, As not a lot of people, regulars etc, Walk all of the time like I do............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I carry pepper spray with me, But it is more for the dogs than the people and I'd rather not go that way. If I carry milk bones with me I feel as if this will just entice them more to me ! :wacko:

I am not sure what to do about this ? I honestly considered buying some milk bones to carry around with me, But I do not think this will deter the big one. This big one is literally out for blood, I think. It is not a friendly dog, Nor are the little ones in that house. I do not think the owners have trained this dog properly. :wacko:

I don't even know the breed, But it is a huge, Angry attack dog. It does not seem it respond to friendly calls or pettings etc, Even if I were to try. It is a very, Dangerous aggressive dog in my neighborhood, I think...........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, {Oh, Hi, Ghostdog !} :taped::b:

Edited by believeinHim

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  88
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,896
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

Call animal control and see if they can do something. It's almost certainly a violation of local laws to allow dogs to roam free like that, and if one is especially dangerous and aggressive they should be able to capture it and put it down.

• 3 weeks later...

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  908
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,653
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Treats work too.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,279
  • Content Per Day:  7.09
  • Days Won:  99

Good suggestions. You can also look into carrying a defensive spray specifically formulated to repel dogs; a few companies market citronella spray which has some advantages over pepper spray or mace.

The first advantage: citronella spray repels a dog without needless suffering on their part.

The second advantage: citronella spray has a greater effective range than pepper spray or mace. It can be sprayed accurately at distances of 15 feet.

The third advantage: there is always a risk of blowback when using defensive sprays. The one spraying an offender sometimes receives a faceful themselves. Citronella spray is not agonizing for us to be exposed to. It's worse for a dog since their noses are much more sensitive than ours.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.71

On 7/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, believeinHim said:

There is a hostile, big dog in my neighborhood when I walk that comes barreling up to the screen,

Just how real is the threat?

Is this ' screen' loose or so fragile that the dog could burst through it?

May I suggest that you talk to the mailman about that house and its dogs, ditto delivery drivers as there complaints will have the backing of the postoffice and the delivery companies.

If the ' screen ' is secure and you are frightened of walking past that house, you either will have to cross the road and walk on the other side of the road away from those dogs or change the route you walk so you don't pass the house.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,250
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

On 7/20/2022 at 10:08 AM, believeinHim said:

I have a, {problem}, Which will be posted in {Have a Problem}, as well. 

If you have a hostile, {Or perhaps more than one, But one specifically}, There is a hostile, big dog in my neighborhood when I walk that comes barreling up to the screen, Along with the littler ones who come after him. 

I would prefer it if my method of protection isn't so.... Well, I would prefer it if my method of deterrence isn't violence.

I carry pepper spray, But should Is start carrying milk bones ? A ribeye steak ? A can of dog food to throw in the other direction ?

I really don't know what to do about this, Until something were to happen and I honestly believe this dog may have the strength to kill someone, Specifically me, As not a lot of people, regulars etc, Walk all of the time like I do............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I carry pepper spray with me, But it is more for the dogs than the people and I'd rather not go that way. If I carry milk bones with me I feel as if this will just entice them more to me ! :wacko:

I am not sure what to do about this ? I honestly considered buying some milk bones to carry around with me, But I do not think this will deter the big one. This big one is literally out for blood, I think. It is not a friendly dog, Nor are the little ones in that house. I do not think the owners have trained this dog properly. :wacko:

I don't even know the breed, But it is a huge, Angry attack dog. It does not seem it respond to friendly calls or pettings etc, Even if I were to try. It is a very, Dangerous aggressive dog in my neighborhood, I think...........,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, {Oh, Hi, Ghostdog !} :taped::b:

I had this problem with a neighbor behind us and finally got tired of it.   One afternoon I went into the back yard loaded up with cheddar cheese.  After a couple of pieces the barking stopped and we became super friends.  Now she lets me pet her through the fence

• Haha 1

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  433
  • Topics Per Day:  0.28
  • Content Count:  3,225
  • Content Per Day:  2.07

5 hours ago, other one said:

I had this problem with a neighbor behind us and finally got tired of it.   One afternoon I went into the back yard loaded up with cheddar cheese.  After a couple of pieces the barking stopped and we became super friends.  Now she lets me pet her through the fence

This is why I asked if I should throw a ribeye steak in the other directions ! ! ! ! ! :24:

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  873
  • Content Per Day:  0.45

We had a dog that seemed to be barking like the dog was saying, I will tear you apart and chew you up if I ever get to you. But there was a chain link fence between the dog and myself. But I always was concerned about if the gate might be left open or unlatched. One time a postal employee reached over the fence to give mail to the woman there, and the dog bit the postal person. The postal person was blamed, I think, for not being more careful.

I tended to walk our doggie on other streets :)

I am curious if a real attack dog would be stopped by pepper spray or citronella. If a dog feels it is protecting the family and is not just doing some territorial posturing . . . anything I did might convince the dog that I really was a danger to the dog's family . . . for all I know.

And the owner might want the dog to stay alienated to strangers, in which case I might love my neighbor as myself, by not trying to help the dog to start warming up to strangers.

Yes, you could negotiate with the owner and be told the dog really is a peach or a cream puff. But dogs can bite, right while an owner is telling you it is ok to pet their nice doggie. I have been struck by dog teeth, two times while I was petting and rubbing dogs. But I pushed the doggies by squeezing the skin on the dogs' necks in order to massage their skin and necks. That got a whipping open-mouth response from two dogs, but not all.

And if we start assuming what we can do with a person, yes we can get a snapping.