IGNORED

Where do you find the sweet spot between saving souls and saving feelings?

Riverwalker

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  4

There are two extremes when it comes to reaching out to people

1. If all the emphasis on the truth, but with no compassion. Banging people over the head with the word of God, but not taking into account the person.  Falling too far this way puts us in danger of  being a sounding brass or a clanging cymbal 

1st Corinthians 13:3 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 

Alternatively we  can find ourselves compromising the truth to save feelings and avoiding the hard truth that should be heard, MUST be heard in order to bring about salvation.  If we compromise the word of God we become the Lukewarm Christian who is more dangerous  than the lost

Revelation 3: 14 “And to the angel of the church [j]of the Laodiceans write,

‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither [k]cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.

Truth - Trauma

Compassion - Compromise

Where is the sweet spot?

For me the unifying factor is love. 

If you are motivated by compassion then love for the person will not make the journey to hell pleasant, but will cause you to say the things that need to be said.

If you are like me and truth motivated,  you will remember that your purpose is not to win arguments, but to win souls, and the person you are dealing with has a heart....and a past that you probably know nothing about

So whether you are a bible thumper or a hugger, love is the key motivation.

But where is that middle ground for you.?

Edited by Riverwalker
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.78
  • Days Won:  226

To me it is honesty and the truth. Be kind but don't be a people pleaser. Be firm on what is the literal truth of God's Holy Word and make no compromises. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,104
  • Content Per Day:  9.70
  • Days Won:  149

My personality tends to lean toward being a people pleaser.I like to make people comfortable if I can, so the gospel message takes a lot of effort to present to a person I know won't be receptive to it or to someone even strongly opposed to it.

I think we have to remember not to take the rejection of the gospel personally. It isn't us they are upset with. It's the message.

And what does sincere caring look like? It doesn't sugar coat the truth. The devil is the one who does that.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Riverwalker changed the title to Where do you find the sweet spot between saving souls and saving feelings?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  186
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  0

The Lord makes them ready

You just have to be available

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  57
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,413
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

I strongly feel that in the western world it's typically best to be non-verbal about it. Let people know you're Christian and let your life be your testimony. Say your piece when it comes up in your conversations with them but don't clobber. My reason for feeling this way is that most people in the US and Europe are already familiar with the message to varying degrees. Over the course of healthy personal relationships it's only natural that matters of faith are going to come up naturally, which tends to make it feel relevant.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  2,229
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Birthday:  03/25/1961

The song playing now fits "Christ in me Jeremy Camp"

I share for me not anyone else. I can't save anyone so I want to share how God has moved worked in my life yet also not to be leading the sweet holy Spirit but have Him lead me. So those gifts are free to work. So I see know things that He shows me about them. All in all He is being shared preached and that word Him will always not by anything we do will cut to the heart. Compassion...oh its what I first or He showed me and I want that more then anything...and I don't know why lol. I wonder how do we see those that do not believe. Just sinners wicked destined for (Forgive me Father) hell or just people Gods creation lost being lied to hurting confused looking yet don't know they have always been looking for Him.. the way out. Yet He will always make Himself known to anyone.

When I was young...He always so many times said "witness for me" since I don't know anyone here (sad) He also said "sing for me". there ya go

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

The sweet spot is the Holy Spirit and His leading. Nothing I can say in any way I say it is effective without Him. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1
  • Well Said! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  72
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,234
  • Content Per Day:  7.08
  • Days Won:  99

Everything according to the purpose and will of the Lord. After Jesus Christ raised me up and placed my feet upon the earth, restoring everything I had lost to deprivation and disease, He promised that nothing would be the same. I would go wherever He sent me and when I arrived, I would witness the marvelous works of God unfold. All that was required of me was this: I listen for His voice and do whatever He bids me to do (keeping His commandment). I would neither worry nor want for anything remembering how He not only delivered me with a mighty hand, but others as well. My adopted mother was the first.

I heard the Lord late one afternoon, and He spoke of what would come to pass the morning of the next day. He would deliver my adopted mother from those wicked men who had terrorized her for years, seeking to drive her off her land so they could claim it as their own. They would scatter like leaves in the wind before the terror of the Lord, never to return again; when the time comes, He would have me face them with nothing in my hands. Everything happened just as the Spirit said it would, and I witnessed those men scatter like leaves in the wind. They never returned. 

It is His custom to reveal a matter in such a way, declaring what will come to pass before it happens, and this has transpired many times since that day in the mountains when Jesus Christ displayed His power in me to the glory of God. I've learned to occupy myself with serving others and looking after their needs however I can --- this is His commandment to me --- never giving any thought to what I might say. Why should I, when the Spirit of the Lord gives me words to speak at the proper time? By keeping His commandment I've witnessed astonishing things, none of which had a thing to do with my own abilities or planning. Violent men suddenly turn peaceful, or they never notice me at all; those who suffer greatly are given rest knowing that God regards them in their affliction. 

That's what the Lord requires of us all: listen for His voice and when the commandment comes, keep it. :) 

Edited by Marathoner
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

14 hours ago, AnOrangeCat said:

I strongly feel that in the western world it's typically best to be non-verbal about it. Let people know you're Christian and let your life be your testimony. Say your piece when it comes up in your conversations with them but don't clobber. My reason for feeling this way is that most people in the US and Europe are already familiar with the message to varying degrees. Over the course of healthy personal relationships it's only natural that matters of faith are going to come up naturally, which tends to make it feel relevant.

"I strongly feel that in the western world it's typically best to be non-verbal about it"

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?"

"And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

I could be an excellent Christian witness in my walk, really outwardly impressing those ignorant of the gospel with my good works.
They may be very impressed by my caring to help those in need.  But,

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word!  Not how good or bad my personal life testimony, though it may also help.
Till a person hears the truth/words of the gospel, they do not have the truth/light to enable them to 'repent', to change their thinking. The 3 thousand and 5 thousand that heard the truth and were saved did not know the disciples testimony to get them saved. It was the words of the good news, the gospel, that penetrated their hearts and minds and sparked light, understanding.

Those I know personally and have seen publicly sharing the gospel have never 'clobbered' or beat them over the head with a bible. 
That's what you see in the movies or those who are ashamed to publicly identify to inhibit sharing the good news.

He who goes out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him.

Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy!  (A true heart for the lost, not tearing down)

Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” (changes thinking)

A person will never have a desire to be saved till they realize they are lost. And how will they ever know lest the hear the truth.

Some medicine tastes bad, but is needed for life. Are we willing to give the FULL gospel and accept the consequences?

I can save no one. But I can sow/plant seeds of truth. As a believer (truly) saved from hell, how could I/you not.
      The Great Commission compels us to share the good news until everyone has heard.
             Then, the sheep of His fold will hear His voice.  (the word, from our mouths, as ambassadors for Christ)

And the Word was God...

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  279
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  13,104
  • Content Per Day:  9.70
  • Days Won:  149

How would you approach an unsaved person? What would be the first words you would use?

How do you know who to speak to? 

I am not asking to be critical in any way. Just curious.