IGNORED

Parable Of The Sower, Can This Be Progressive?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

I’ve been reading Matthew 13 today, parable of the sower. I noticed that in the 4 examples Jesus gives of the way people respond to the knowledge of the kingdom of heaven, they seem to progress from the first one as someone who doesn’t understand the message of the kingdom, all the way to someone who produces a crop 100 times what was sown.

My question is, can a person progress from one of these examples, to the next one? Eg the if you were in the second category (the seed that feel on shallow soil), could you, over time, progress to the third category (the seed that fell on thorns) and then to the fourth eventually? Can this be progressive, or, is the category you fit into, set for life?

I understand some of this question may sound a little naive at times.

Thanks

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

6 hours ago, Open7 said:

I’ve been reading Matthew 13 today, parable of the sower. I noticed that in the 4 examples Jesus gives of the way people respond to the knowledge of the kingdom of heaven, they seem to progress from the first one as someone who doesn’t understand the message of the kingdom, all the way to someone who produces a crop 100 times what was sown.

My question is, can a person progress from one of these examples, to the next one? Eg the if you were in the second category (the seed that feel on shallow soil), could you, over time, progress to the third category (the seed that fell on thorns) and then to the fourth eventually? Can this be progressive, or, is the category you fit into, set for life?

Thanks

It's fine to ask such a question.

Biblically speaking, people can progress up and or down that scale at times! After all, we are Jekylls and Hydes and frequently alternate between good and bad behavior.

For this reason, Jesus died and rose, the perfect for the imperfect. Anyone who trusts Him for eternal life is forgiven now, transformed to PERFECT when they meet Him! 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  05/09/1981

3 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

It's fine to ask such a question.

Biblically speaking, people can progress up and or down that scale at times! After all, we are Jekylls and Hydes and frequently alternate between good and bad behavior.

For this reason, Jesus died and rose, the perfect for the imperfect. Anyone who trusts Him for eternal life is forgiven now, transformed to PERFECT when they meet Him! 

(Matthew 5:48) Do you not know this is what the Father expects of you after being sanctified (Philippians 2:13-15)?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Open7 said:

Thanks

(Matthew 7:17-18) I believe the meaning here is the person either lets God's Word take root in their heart or not (divergence), you'll know if they received the love of the truth by their fruits.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  241
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,961
  • Content Per Day:  3.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

16 hours ago, Open7 said:

Thanks

Hi @Open7

Great question for edifying one another.

The Parable of the Sower is rich with meaning, a real go-to passage for us to receive edification from time and time again.

I believe all Christians progress from being unproductive to being productive, as you suspect, and the reverse can also be true if the soil of our heart is not kept wisely.

From my notes:

SOIL CONDITIONS FOR SOLID CONVERSIONS

As in the natural, so in the supernatural, or vice versa from another perspective.

Even though hearts are naturally wicked they can be transformed given the right conditions.

Firstly,
 as you may know, the Bible is full of gardening and farming metaphors, and the distinction between good soil and bad soil is constantly addressed.

Heb 6:7-8 For land that drinks in the rain often falling on it and that produces a crop useful to those for whom it is tended receives the blessing of God. (8) But land that produces thorns and thistles is worthless, and its curse is imminent. In the end it will be burned.

Spiritually speaking good land is produced by:

• redesignation to eliminate its use as a thoroughfare compacted by indifferent traffic. (Wayside Hearer)
  • excavation to remove rocky, stony material deposited by works of the flesh. (Stony & Rocky Ground Hearer)
  • cultivation to identify and uproot weeds and thorns encouraged by worldly woes. (Weed Patch Hearer)
  • irrigation to promote soil fertility, seed germination and cellular growth of the Word of God sown by Divine Inspiration. (Good Ground Hearer)

Secondly, the transformation of bad soil into good soil does involve testing prior to selecting.

The testimonies of people hitting rock bottom before coming to faith in Christ are as dramatic as they are numerous, often with hardened criminals being transformed after receiving Christian ministry in prison.

Deu 32:2 
Let my teaching fall like rain and my speech settle like dew, like gentle rain on new grass, like showers on tender plants.

Here's a favourite chapter that illustrates the invitations and incentives God gives, the acceptance or rejection of which determines what destiny awaits:

Isa 55:1-13 “
Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you without money, come, buy, and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost! (2) Why spend money on that which is not bread, and your labor on that which does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of foods. (3) Incline your ear and come to Me; listen, so that your soul may live. I will make with you an everlasting covenant— My loving devotion promised to David. (4) Behold, I have made him a witness to the nations, a leader and commander of the peoples. (5) Surely you will summon a nation you do not know, and nations who do not know you will run to you. For the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, has bestowed glory on you.” (6) Seek the LORD while He may be found; call on Him while He is near. (7) Let the wicked man forsake his own way and the unrighteous man his own thoughts; let him return to the LORD, that He may have compassion, and to our God, for He will freely pardon. (8) “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways,” declares the LORD. (9) “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so My ways are higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts. (10) For just as rain and snow fall from heaven and do not return without watering the earth, making it bud and sprout, and providing seed to sow and food to eat, (11) so My word that proceeds from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will accomplish what I please, and it will prosper where I send it. (12) You will indeed go out with joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. (13) Instead of the thornbush, a cypress will grow, and instead of the brier, a myrtle will spring up; they will make a name for the LORD, an everlasting sign, never to be destroyed.”

Blessings from Michael37

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,300
  • Content Per Day:  1.72

22 hours ago, Open7 said:

I noticed that in the 4 examples Jesus gives of the way people respond to the knowledge of the kingdom of heaven, they seem to progress from the first one as someone who doesn’t understand the message of the kingdom, all the way to someone who produces a crop 100 times what was sown.

In the way Jesus is teling the parable it is not so much a ptogression, but a judgement.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

19 hours ago, The Exegetist said:

(Matthew 5:48) Do you not know this is what the Father expects of you after being sanctified (Philippians 2:13-15)?

I'm not questioning the Lord's expectations.

I would question what you're calling sanctified, since full sanctification, biblically speaking, unto moral perfection, occurs only at the Rapture. That's why Christians do better or worse, at different times, depending.

Many Christians confuse salvation (one time act of receiving a free gift) with sanctification (ongoing desire and effort to become more Christlike, not fully Christlike before the Rapture).

Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

I'm not questioning the Lord's expectations.

I would question what you're calling sanctified, since full sanctification, biblically speaking, unto moral perfection, occurs only at the Rapture. That's why Christians do better or worse, at different times, depending.

Many Christians confuse salvation (one time act of receiving a free gift) with sanctification (ongoing desire and effort to become more Christlike, not fully Christlike before the Rapture).

Thanks!

(1 Thessalonians 4:7) Do you not know you're not questioning me, but the truth of the Father's unequivocal Word, which affirms that I have been called to holiness and I am conformed to the image of God's begotten Son (not unfathered) Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29)?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  267
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,213
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

On 9/8/2022 at 7:04 PM, Open7 said:

Thanks

Hi Open,

The parables are what Jesus told the people of Israel concerning the promises of God to THEM. The Body of Christ revelation was NOT revealed at that time.

Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,876
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I would say it's indeed possible. I would place myself in the first category for many years, until I was roughly 30 years old and God opened the eyes of my heart to be able to truly understand and receive the gospel.

I would say to think about the implications of it if they are "set for life" categories; that would mean that anyone who does not truly and fully receive the gospel and experience true saving faith the very first time they hear a gospel presentation are doomed to never be able to receive it ever. Surely we know this is not true and that many people who initially reject it for whatever reason or reasons do eventually come to know the truth and give their lives to God.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Praise God! 1